Traded Dion Prestia [traded to Richmond with pick 24 for pick 6 and 2017 second rounder]

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough, but I think it is clear that your club rates Prestia pretty highly.

I also would've thought the Tigers would have been aware the Suns wouldn't be prone to bending over in light of OMeara walking as well. The Suns need to hold firm, for their own reasons.

I'm sure all clubs who have expressed any interest in a player rate them highly...Doesn't mean they should pay whatever price is asked.

If GC can't hold onto it's players by making them want to stay, and instead try to stop other clubs from taking them by whacking an inordinate price on their heads, again, that doesn't mean other clubs need to pay up. It just means that the AFLPA will get angsty, and with the CBA close to completion, that will get the AFL worked up as well. I doubt that'd go well for a club over pricing it's players in an attempt to stop the AFLPA's dream of easy player movement.

I'm sure all clubs who have expressed any interest in a player rate them highly...Doesn't mean they should pay whatever price is asked.

If GC can't hold onto it's players by making them want to stay, and instead try to stop other clubs from taking them by whacking an inordinate price on their heads, again, that doesn't mean other clubs need to pay up. It just means that the AFLPA will get angsty, and with the CBA close to completion, that will get the AFL worked up as well. I doubt that'd go well for a club over pricing it's players in an attempt to stop the AFLPA's dream of easy player movement.

But that's the thing - by anyone's metric (other then Tigers supporters) Pick 6 isn't an inordinate price. Might be slightly overs, might be spot on - but it's definitely thereabouts.

You've chased this bloke for a long time and offered him considerable terms - to walk away now suggests the Tigers are a club that are happy to seduce the player but aren't prepared to seal the deal.

If you pull out now, it's going to hurt you down the road

But that's the thing - by anyone's metric (other then Tigers supporters) Pick 6 isn't an inordinate price. Might be slightly overs, might be spot on - but it's definitely thereabouts.

You've chased this bloke for a long time and offered him considerable terms - to walk away now suggests the Tigers are a club that are happy to seduce the player but aren't prepared to seal the deal.

6 is overs.

Uncontracted. Hasnt played a full year for 3 years.

Not just tigers supporters....just responded to a Melbourne supporter who suggested the same thing I've been saying all along...6 for Prestia and one of GC's 2nds.

At his best, yeah, 6 would be slight overs, but near enough that you'd do it (maybe with a token 4th rounder back or something), but given that he's had knee surgery and hasn't played since around the middle of the year as a result I think there is enough cause to doubt where his best is to warrant getting a 2nd back.

As for the contract we've supposedly offered, well, if it's that high, I wonder if anyone would jump in and take him before us in the PSD...If not (or even if there is doubt), then I imagine that lowers the price paid for him in trade, not increases it. Given his knee, we're taking a risk offering him a long deal, and while I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few clauses to reduce/manage that risk, I doubt we'd increase our risk by overpaying for him in the trade as well.

The long term effect will come down to what people (mostly players and managers) think happened...If, as you've suggested, it's a case of GC fretting over losing players and overplaying their hand, then it wont reflect too badly on Richmond, and given that Hawthorn is also having problems with O'Meara, that would probably be the lesson taken from this episode.

Injuries must also affect salary then, so if he was injury free what would you have offered him? 3 million a year?

a) Do you know for sure what he's been offered?
b) Don't you think that there would be clauses in there to reduce that risk? (e.g. higher match payments, lower base, bonus payments for paying X number of games, etc.)

Not just tigers supporters....just responded to a Melbourne supporter who suggested the same thing I've been saying all along...6 for Prestia and one of GC's 2nds.

At his best, yeah, 6 would be slight overs, but near enough that you'd do it (maybe with a token 4th rounder back or something), but given that he's had knee surgery and hasn't played since around the middle of the year as a result I think there is enough cause to doubt where his best is to warrant getting a 2nd back.

As for the contract we've supposedly offered, well, if it's that high, I wonder if anyone would jump in and take him before us in the PSD...If not (or even if there is doubt), then I imagine that lowers the price paid for him in trade, not increases it. Given his knee, we're taking a risk offering him a long deal, and while I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few clauses to reduce/manage that risk, I doubt we'd increase our risk by overpaying for him in the trade as well.

The long term effect will come down to what people (mostly players and managers) think happened...If, as you've suggested, it's a case of GC fretting over losing players and overplaying their hand, then it wont reflect too badly on Richmond, and given that Hawthorn is also having problems with O'Meara, that would probably be the lesson taken from this episode.

So the knee is enough of a concern to effect trade terms, but not enough of a concern to effect contract terms?

a) Do you know for sure what he's been offered?
b) Don't you think that there would be clauses in there to reduce that risk? (e.g. higher match payments, lower base, bonus payments for paying X number of games, etc.)

Been reported at 700kpa and it's a long term deal, that's elite coin so you'll need to man up and hand over pick 6 IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

but given that he's had knee surgery and hasn't played since around the middle of the year as a result I think there is enough cause to doubt where his best is

Wouldn't you do your due diligence and conduct a thorough medical?

Correct me if I am wrong, but Prestia's injury is not an injury that typically ruins careers. Therefore if he completely passed his medical at Richmond you would think that the value would not change at all. This line of thinking I think is trying to get a cheaper price with no real base argument.

Been reported at 700kpa and it's a long term deal, that's elite coin so you'll need to man up and hand over pick 6 IMO.
"Reported" doesnt mean its fact.
Just becuase he earns a lot it has very little to do with his 'trade'. Travis cloke earns a lot and will move for bugger all.
Would you be happy handing over 7 for a bloke that plays only half a season?
Would carlton be happy paying 5 for a bloke that plays half a season.

Wouldn't you do your due diligence and conduct a thorough medical?

Correct me if I am wrong, but Prestia's injury is not an injury that typically ruins careers. Therefore if he completely passed his medical at Richmond you would think that the value would not change at all. This line of thinking I think is trying to get a cheaper price with no real base argument.
The basis of the argument is he hasnt played a full year for how long...? He's missed big chunks of this and last year. And hes out of contract. Therefore he isnt worth 6 as a straight swap. Try 10-14

It's not relative! How do you not understand this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Reported" doesnt mean its fact.
Just becuase he earns a lot it has very little to do with his 'trade'. Travis cloke earns a lot and will move for bugger all.
Would you be happy handing over 7 for a bloke that plays only half a season?
Would carlton be happy paying 5 for a bloke that plays half a season.
So you offered him a massive contract out of the goodness of your heart?

Of course salary is a major factor in trade value, it's idiotic suggesting it's not.

The basis of the argument is he hasnt played a full year for how long...? He's missed big chunks of this and last year. And hes out of contract. Therefore he isnt worth 6 as a straight swap. Try 10-14

I would think, like the Hawks when trading in S. Burgoyne and what they are doing with JOM, if a player passes the medical and you declare interest in the player you would be willing to pay the market rate. If you as a club were concerned about the injury history you would distance yourself from the player and potentially make a deal but do it more subtly.

THere is no doubt that when Prestia nominated Richmond as his preferred destination that Richmond told him that he was a priority signing. There is a lot of behind the scenes work that go into these deals and timing of public statements etc....

So the knee is enough of a concern to effect trade terms, but not enough of a concern to effect contract terms?

How do you know it hasn't effected contract terms?

So it's a rumour....Tell me, when all those players are rumoured in the media to be going to Collingwood, do you take that as fact too?

Of course salary is a major factor in trade value, it's idiotic suggesting it's not.

True, a massive offer would lower the trade value, because it would both make the player more willing to go to the PSD and less likely to be picked up by other clubs.

You have to pay the minimum of the salary cap somehow.

Again. His wage wage has very little to do with what he will actually be traded for. Money is an incentive to leave. Just like it was an incentive for wells and mayne to move to the pies. Dont be naive.

I would think, like the Hawks when trading in S. Burgoyne and what they are doing with JOM, if a player passes the medical and you declare interest in the player you would be willing to pay the market rate. If you as a club were concerned about the injury history you would distance yourself from the player and potentially make a deal but do it more subtly.

THere is no doubt that when Prestia nominated Richmond as his preferred destination that Richmond told him that he was a priority signing. There is a lot of behind the scenes work that go into these deals and timing of public statements etc....

Yes, a market rate...not overs (even if some on BF consider those overs to be fair).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back