Traded Brett Deledio [traded to GWS for Geelong's 2017 1st rd pick and GWS's 2017 3rd round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Jesus Christ… Another #1 draft pick in their team, FFS. We may as well give up now on 2017. We're all playing for second prize. If Deledio can stay fit and produce his best form on the HFF, the Giants will go close to being unbeaten next season.

You watch - next year, there will be NOTHING between 10 teams who finish between 2nd and 11th. Except the Giants will be 6 games clear on top of the ladder with 20 or 21 wins.

They have the greatest collection of talent in the history of the AFL. We just might see another 3peat from 2017 to 2019. At worst, they're going to be like the West Coast Eagles in the 90s and make the finals for 10 years in a row and win 2 flags. (That's at a minimum…)

Well done AFL on manufacturing this monster. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Jesus Christ… Another #1 draft pick in their team, FFS. We may as well give up now on 2017. We're all playing for second prize. If Deledio can stay fit and produce his best form on the HFF, the Giants will go close to being unbeaten next season.

You watch - next year, there will be NOTHING between 10 teams who finish between 2nd and 11th. Except the Giants will be 6 games clear on top of the ladder with 20 or 21 wins.

They have the greatest collection of talent in the history of the AFL. We just might see another 3peat from 2017 to 2019. At worst, they're going to be like the West Coast Eagles in the 90s and make the finals for 10 years in a row and win 2 flags. (That's at a minimum…)

Such Hysteria

They couldn't make the grandfinal this season, despite having a home prelim against a side bugger all people rated going into a finals series.
One player doesn't guarantee you a flag, just ask Danger and the cats.

Its October..lots can and will happen before September 2017

Wow

We have rhe same cap as everyone else.

Not the AFLs fault clubs didnt trade in year 1.

Gee here I was thinking Hawthorn just won 3 of the last 4 flags, just exited a couple of pensioners and reloaded with 2 established young guns who are considered amongst the most promising young players in the competition.

Perhaps get some perspective son.

Yeah, I guess one has won four premierships and doesn't have a dodgy Achilles.

deledio is levels above lewis, who is a solid player. Deledio is a star. Gws have done very well. Lids has got the ability to get the ball and class. Has almost no weakness to his game, apart from struggling with a tag sometimes. A problem he won't have again. Will be an excellent player for gws. His skill set, in that side will be invaluable.

Will dominate where ever the want reinforcing - back, forward, mid all at a very high level. Given they have many good players he will get off the chain big time.

Good luck lids hope you do very well thanks for the 12 or so year.

Such Hysteria

They couldn't make the grandfinal this season, despite having a home prelim against a side bugger all people rated going into a finals series.
One player doesn't guarantee you a flag, just ask Danger and the cats.

Its October..lots can and will happen before September 2017

Danger would not say it, but gws are much better than the cats. On paper and on the park. For mine the cats and doggies made a big mistake...Apparently Beveridge cut his holidays short in a last hour attempt to convince deledio to join the premiers? Wouldn't surprise me if true as he's a smart man and knows lids value.

One player of that quality will help a lot and be a massive upgrade on the 22nd player

Last edited:
Danger would not say it, but gws are much better than the cats. On paper and on the park. For mine the cats and doggies made a big mistake...Apparently Beveridge cut his holidays short in a last hour attempt to convince deledio to join the premiers? Wouldn't surprise me if true as he's a smart man and knows lids value.
By all accounts it was the opposite - our list management was keen on Lids, Bevo less so.
Bevo was coming around to the idea, especially when Richmond decided to stump up a decent portion of Lids' contract. By then GWS were promising a few of the wristies that Gil normally reserves for them.
GWS could afford to offer more than the Bulldogs in picks anyway for a deal as they already have 37,000 first round picks on their list and shunt off the ones that don't work to Carlton anyway.

Are you taking into account that we shipped out a pick 4 and 2 pick 7s along with 3 second rounders

Are you taking into account that we shipped out a pick 4 and 2 pick 7s along with 3 second rounders
Yeah… I looked at all the talented players you off-loaded and my jaw dropped open. I don't think I've ever seen another club lose so many good players in one year. Yet it makes no difference to your flag aspirations next year. None of them would be in your best 25.

I just laughed when I saw the experts grading the Giants' trade period as an "A".

By all accounts it was the opposite - our list management was keen on Lids, Bevo less so.
Bevo was coming around to the idea, especially when Richmond decided to stump up a decent portion of Lids' contract. By then GWS were promising a few of the wristies that Gil normally reserves for them.
GWS could afford to offer more than the Bulldogs in picks anyway for a deal as they already have 37,000 first round picks on their list and shunt off the ones that don't work to Carlton anyway.

Considering his wife was against moving to Sydney I would of thought the Melb clubs were in the box seat, all he had to do was nominate one. If he had done that it would of had nothing to do with our picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luck you got 900 top ten picks left
Not really. Traded out a lot of first round picks over the last few years.

Pick 3 Tyson
Pick 4 WHE
Pick 10 sumner
Pick 12 Adams
Pick 2 O'rourke
Pick 3 plowman
Pick 14 Jaksch
Pick 1 Boyd
Pick 14 McCarthy
Pick 4 Pickett
Pick 6 marchbank
Pick 7 Ahern

So we've lost 12 first rounders

Remaining first rounders

Pick 1 Patton
Pick 2 Coniglio
Pick 5 buntine (not best 22)
Pick 7 Haynes
Pick 9 Tomlinson
Pick 11 Greene
Pick 13 smith
Pick 1 Whitfield
Pick 2 Kelly
Pick 7 hopper
Pick 13 Kennedy (not best 22)
Pick 15 himmelberg (not best 22)

So we have 12 first rounders on our list which is less than Carlton for example.

Gee here I was thinking Hawthorn just won 3 of the last 4 flags, just exited a couple of pensioners and reloaded with 2 established young guns who are considered amongst the most promising young players in the competition.

Perhaps get some perspective son.
It's amazing to me that Hawthorn was able to wheel and deal from 2009 to 2012 and build a team around their nucleus of Hodge, Mitchell, Roughy, Rioli, Birchall and Lewis that was good enough to win three successive flags. But as good as they were, it doesn't come close to the embarrassment of riches at the Giants disposal.

I shook my head when you let #1 pick Tom Boyd got to the Bulldogs and picked up their captain, All-Australian Ryan Griffen. I thought, "Bloody hell… Here we go.." Then you added Stevie J… And now Deledio. Success-starved guns are going to be queuing up to play with they Giants over the next decade. People were so butt1hurt about Hawthorn signing guys like Lake and McEvoy, but it's nothing compared to what the Giants will do over the next 10 years.

Good luck to you. Enjoy. You're never going to see another era like this. But your perspective as a GWS fan is pretty skewed.

So we have 12 first rounders on our list which is less than Carlton for example.
What about the ones you've traded in?
Griffen was a pick 3, Lids was a pick 1, Scully too. May be a couple more.

I shook my head when you let #1 pick Tom Boyd got to the Bulldogs and picked up their captain, All-Australian Ryan Griffen. I thought, "Bloody hell… Here we go.." Then you added Stevie J… And now Deledio. Success-starved guns are going to be queuing up to play with they Giants over the next decade. People were so butt1hurt about Hawthorn signing guys like Lake and McEvoy, but it's nothing compared to what the Giants will do over the next 10 years.
I'm not sure it's such an outlier - obviously the Hawks got a few (in addition to lake and McEvoy, Frawley and Gibson came to you guys and you traded for Gunston and I'm sure JOM's nomination of Hawthorn was in part due to your success).

Players tend to want to go to successful clubs late in their careers - Cloke chose us over others because we're at least at the pointy end of the table, Henderson from Carlton to Geelong who were perceived to be challenging.

I'm not sure it's such an outlier - obviously the Hawks got a few (in addition to lake and McEvoy, Frawley and Gibson came to you guys and you traded for Gunston and I'm sure JOM's nomination of Hawthorn was in part due to your success).

Players tend to want to go to successful clubs late in their careers - Cloke chose us over others because we're at least at the pointy end of the table, Henderson from Carlton to Geelong who were perceived to be challenging.
My point is the Giants have such an embarrassment of riches, they can afford to let Tom Boyd go in exchange for Griffen and a pick, whereas for any other club, it would be an unmitigated disaster if their teenage 200cm CHF #1 pick walked out. The Giants be like, "No problem, We've got Cameron and Patton. We'll draft McCarthy."

They can afford to offer Richmond overs for Deledio (1st rd pick and 3rd rd pick? Sure! Why not?!) Draft picks mean less to them than other clubs because they have so many… It's an embarrassment of riches. They can stockpile 4th and 5th round picks because they will use them to bid for the 2 best Riverina academy kids. More top end talent for them to develop… FFS...

They've honed their list now. They've done the big cull with their 22yo second stringers seeking more opportunity at other clubs. Leon Cameron is probably happy with the 30 guns at his disposal for next year's premiership assault.

The Bulldogs did bloody well to win the Prelim Final. That was the big one. You guys gave it 110% and wanted it more than the Giants. But I have no doubt whatsoever, the Giants will kick your arses to kingdom come in 2017.

They're going to be on a mission like Essendon in 2000, except they have even greater talent.

Last edited:
Deledio is a gun when fit no doubt and if he stays fit the Giants will love him and he will kill it there.
The only concern I would have is whether he can stay fit, and how his achilles and calf will be managed for the rest of his career.
Deledio himself has admitted his achilles is a chronic injury that will require management for the rest of his career, but I'd imagine most older players in the league would have similar issues somewhere in their body.

My point is the Giants have such an embarrassment of riches, they can afford to let Tom Boyd go in exchange for Griffen and a pick, whereas for any other club, it would be an unmitigated disaster if their teenage 200cm CHF #1 pick walked out. The Giants be like, "No problem, We've got Cameron and Patton. We'll draft McCarthy."
No doubt they can offer overs, but Griffen walking out could have been seen as just a big disaster for us - our best player at the time, captain, who had rejected larger offers for years to leave had walked out mid contract.
It's what you do in those times that matter - at the time of the Boyd trade many people thought we'd paid overs and many still do (although we'd argue his second half of the season form put paid to most of the concerns).

There is still a few small question marks over their list - can their defence hold together in the absence of Patfull and if Shaw starts to decline, and what happens if Mummy goes down. I agree the question marks are smaller and they've been given a ridiculous amount of help by the AFL (even big by Gold Coast standards) but they haven't actually won the Grand Final yet and most people speak as if it's a fait accompli.

deledio is levels above lewis, who is a solid player. Deledio is a star. Gws have done very well. Lids has got the ability to get the ball and class. Has almost no weakness to his game, apart from struggling with a tag sometimes. A problem he won't have again. Will be an excellent player for gws. His skill set, in that side will be invaluable.

Will dominate where ever the want reinforcing - back, forward, mid all at a very high level. Given they have many good players he will get off the chain big time.

Good luck lids hope you do very well thanks for the 12 or so year.

One player of that quality will help a lot and be a massive upgrade on the 22nd player

How are GWS "much" better than the cats?
Home and Away ladder suggests otherwise on 2016 form
upload_2016-10-21_11-49-35.png
If choosing mids i'd take Danger and Jelwood before any GWS mid. 3rd - 6th are probably GWS mids
Seriously this GWS group tug is becoming embarrassing.
They have a lot of potential - heater is a year older, Patful is older, Griffen is older, their experienced players are not getting any younger (Doesn't mean they'll get worse tho - doesn't mean they'll get better tho)
What mistake did the cats make? they had nothing to trade to the Tigers. Doggies saw an opportunity but left it too late apparently or went in low ball hoping for a disgruntled Lids to jump ship hoping for finals success
Lids is a bloody good player, how he adapts and suits the GWS game style remains to be seen

What about the ones you've traded in?
Griffen was a pick 3, Lids was a pick 1, Scully too. May be a couple more.
Do people really count that? A guy that is almost 30? I don't think his draft ranking over a decade ago matters much now.

If playing by those rules then Carlton have far more than us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back