Last edited:
B. Short - Rance - Garthwaite
HB. Vlastuin Grimes - Houli
C.Markov - Graham - McIntosh
HF. Martin - Griffiths - Caddy
F. Rioli - Riewoldt - Lloyd
Rucks: Nankervis - Cotchin - Prestia
Inter: Grigg - Bolton - Lennon - Miles
That would be ok but with you know who having to perform or shown the door i don't think he will be playing any of those 3 new kids.

B. Short - Rance - Garthwaite
HB. Vlastuin Grimes - Houli
C.Markov - Graham - McIntosh
HF. Martin - Griffiths - Caddy
F. Rioli - Riewoldt - Lloyd
Rucks: Nankervis - Cotchin - Prestia
Inter: Grigg - Bolton - Lennon - Miles

I just don't see the love for Short. Yes he played well when we were decimated... but I don't see him starting over Houli, McIntosh, Markov or Vlastuin. With our change in game plan, it actually wouldn't surprise me to see Bachelor as our lockdown 4th defender. With Houli, McIntosh, Markov and vlastuin rotating to provide the rebound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B: grimes rance vlaustin
HB: houli astbury menadue
C: mcintosh martin prestia
HF: edwards griffiths lloyd
F: rioli reiwoldt bellis
R: nankervis caddy cotchin
Int: cellis bolton miles grigg

If we have a great preseason and stay injury free - this would be my ideal line up in round 1

B Batchelor Rance Grimes
HB Houli Astbury Markov
C McIntosh Cotchin Grigg
HF Edwards Griffiths Caddy
F Rioli Reiwoldt Nankervis
R Hampson Martin Prestia

Int Bellis Vlastuin and two of Conca/Cellis/Lennon/Graham/Elton/Lloyd/Miles

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Short -- Astbury -- Grimes
HB: Houli -- Rance -- Markov
C: McIntosh -- Miles -- Cotchin
HF: D.Martin -- Griffiths -- Edwards
FF: Lloyd -- Riewoldt -- Rioli
R: Nankervis -- Caddy -- Prestia
Int: Grigg, Bolton, Vlastuin, Graham

A few notes:

- I have omitted Menadue, Batchelor, Lennon, Drummond and CEllis from the starting team as I want to see a bit more from them in order to include them.
- My surprise omission is BEllis. I want to see him get back to that 2013-2014 and to get there I'd want the club to give him some time in the VFL to start off with, depending on how he goes in the pre-season.
- I don't have Hampson in the side depending on how Nankervis goes.
- If Garthwaite shows promise, then I'll have him take over Astbury in the backline.
- I put Bolton in, but if he (or Stengle) are not ready for some senior action then I don't mind putting in Lennon. But with the lineup that I have put, we'd need a small forward like Bolton or Stengle in the side IMO.
- If Graham is not yet up to senior action, then I'd have him out for BEllis. If Graham is and McIntosh is injured/not up to it, then I'd have BEllis in for him.
- I feel that Short and Castagna are interchangeable in this instance - I'd have whichever is performing better in the side.

Interesting that this time last year I was commenting on how average our side looked on paper, and now I am commenting on how surprisingly decent our side looks on paper. Without trying to be bias, I feel that we are an underrated side with many players looking like heading into their prime or already in their prime. Also, it seems that we actually have better depth this year - especially in the midfield. Obviously our KPP depth is thin, but we could rectify that next year.

If we implement a fast-pace gameplan with off-the-ball acts such as tackling, shepherding and one-percenters a high priority, I actually think we can finish in the top 8 and challenging for the top 4-6 range.

This will obviously change with pre-season hype etc but for now -

B - Grimes, Astbury, Batchelor
HB - Houli, Rance, Markov
C - Menadue, Cotchin, B. Ellis
HF - Martin, Griffiths, Lloyd
F - Rioli, Riewoldt, Edwards
Foll - Hampson, Prestia, Caddy
Inter - Miles, Vlastuin, Lennon, C. Ellis

Batchelor has always been one of my favs but I recognise that others won't have him in. I really like the structure of that backline and think he offers more than Short in allowing Vlastuin to spend time in the middle.

Martin named on the HFF but expect him to play predominantly on ball, rotating with Cotch and Caddy.

Lennon to play Lids role on the HFF but also pushing up the ground.

I think C. Ellis, Conca, and Miles are fighting it out for two spots. I gave it to Miles because I think he's probably the best of them and C. Ellis because he has the most potential and I don't want to have our first round pick from 2 years ago not in the team, but might be optimistic there.

Grigg unlucky, victim of my optimism with guys like C. Ellis, Markov, Lennon and Menadue. I'd expect him to line up round one if I'm being honest with myself.

Don't rate McIntosh anywhere near as much as others but happy to be proven wrong there.

Expect Nankervis to play a few games but I'd like us to roll with 2 big forwards plus Lennon to begin with. I wanna see what Griff can do with more responsibility and belief.

Drummond is one who I think could have a big pre-season and find himself on a HBF in the ones come the beginning of the season.

I don't know what my 22 looks like, all I know is I'd be having a midfield of Cotch, Martin, Tigga, Prestia, Caddy, Edwards, Miles, Graham, McIntosh, CEllis, maybe throw in Menadue and Grigg (say what you like but he averages a lot of tackles and gets a lot of footy, going to be a while before he is overtaken).

Those lads would all play as many midfield minutes as possible, with Tigga the main one becoming a 90% midfielder. Sick of him being wasted in the backline.

B: grimes rance vlaustin
HB: houli astbury menadue
C: mcintosh martin prestia
HF: edwards griffiths lloyd
F: rioli reiwoldt bellis
R: nankervis caddy cotchin
Int: cellis bolton miles grigg

Why is BEllis in the forward pocket?

I don't care what the 22 is, as long as
  • JR8 is in the foward line.
  • Rance is in the Back line.
  • Vlastuin/Cotchin/Martin is in the middle (I like Vlastuin there, he was a wrecking ball in the Hawthorn/Sydney games earlier in the year)
And Hardwick leaves them there.
Remove your last two words and it would have been the perfect post.

Grigg has straits that prevent the club becoming a serious challenger and unable to step up in big games .
- lacks versatility , can't play forward or back
- poor one in one
- one sided
- lacks confidence in his kicking to pick out a target when under pressure and takes the wide option.
- Aside from when tagging has absolutely no defensive mindset.

If he is getting a game the club isn't going to be a serious contender . Goes to water under serious heat and he lack of flexibility in both style of play and positions played reduces the whole side flexibility. His inclusion in the side significantly effects the game style played and ability for players to play alternate roles to assist in breaking tags.

Are you talking about Grigg here or B Ellis as it sums up Brando much better than Grigg?

Might as well give it a go:

Backs: Short Garthwaite Grimes
HB: Houli Rance Markov
Centres: Grigg Cotchin Menadue
HF: Martin Lloyd Edwards
F: Rioli Riewoldt Astbury
R: Hampson Prestia Caddy
Int: Griffiths Vlaustin Miles Conca

Would like to see Astbury tried in the forward line again. A better option that Griff who is only in due to his role as a back up ruck.
Want to see how Garthwaite does as he looks like a player.

Post draft best 22;

FB - Grimes - Astbury - Vlastuin
HB - Houli - Rance - Markov
C - BEllis - Cotchin - McIntosh
HF - Martin - Griffiths - Edwards
F - Rioli - Riewoldt - Bolton
RUC - Hampson - Caddy - Prestia

SUB - CEllis - Lloyd - Short - Nankervis
EMG - Grigg - Drummond - Miles - Menadue

Miles, Lennon and Graham will have to try and break their way in to this team.
Garthwaite will be VFL all year unless we are hit with injury.
Vlastuin rotates through the midfield, which is when Short takes his back pocket position.
I've gone with Bolton over Lloyd as I think Bolton and Rioli complement each other better.

Strong team.

I have had a re-think.
Out: BEllis
In: Menadue
(Although unlikely)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back