List Mgmt. Re-Signing Jake Lever

For the last time, do you think Jake Lever will re-sign with Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just think about actual midfielders who you would give the tag "very damaging" to and his ball getting and ball use was nothing near their level, it was just good "for a ruckman". Teams were much more worried about stopping the around the ground work and ball use of Judd, Cousins and Kerr than they were Cox. In fact most teams would be happy for him to have 25 - 30 disposals if they could stop him from giving clean taps to his midfielders.

This is exactly why we need a decent ruckmen

The last time we had midfielders of any note we won a couple of flags, when you have a gun midfield you can probably get by with a mediocre ruckman

Look at our midfield it's crap, by having a decent ruckman it will compensate for our lack of mids

No, big Cox was pure class, sure they complemented his ruck work but he was by definition elite.

I called him an "elite dominant ruckman" a few posts ago, I just think clubs didn't put as much effort into shutting him down because their priority was the midfielders at his feet and clubs would have been pretty happy to let him get a lot of ball if it meant judd and cousins got less ball.

I called him an "elite dominant ruckman" a few posts ago, I just think clubs didn't put as much effort into shutting him down because their priority was the midfielders at his feet and clubs would have been pretty happy to let him get a lot of ball if it meant judd and cousins got less ball.
no team in the history of the game has tried to shut down a ruckman, the resources to do so don't exist.

that's why its so good to have a damaging one around the ground, its 50:50 with the opposition ruckman all day, the easiest player on the park to exploit.

No, my memory was of the successful sides of the last decade, the majority of which had so-so ruckmen at best.

Mumford and the dogs ruckmen (Roughhead etc) are all very replaceable and those teams would keep winning.

You put Nankervis into GWS instead of Mumford and they go exactly as well. Wouldn't even notice he's gone.

The Bullies rotated ruckmen through all year and kept winning. Just needed a warm competitive body.

Ruckmen are completely overrated and their key stat - hitouts to advantage - is trivial. Maybe a quarter of hitouts actually go to a club's advantage.

What other sportsman gets by with a 25% success rate?
Baseballers

Rubbish.

Nothing is less important than a ruckman.

Hawthorn? Never had anyone decent. The Bulldogs? They played a defender and forward as their rucks. Sydney? Had mediocre Tippett and a bunch of scrubs. The Giants? The have Mumford, who is a five packages of sausages with legs.

Who gives a s**t? Jacobs at 90% or Jacobs at 60% doesn't impact our ability to win.
Is this the same Kristof who was arguing the exact opposite during our Draft Game a month or two ago?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cant find any posts of his anywhere other than the adelaide board? Did he delete them?
He may have, Pdub found them.

The latest was when the Lever story broke about 3 clubs after him, he came on here and said what crap. He then goes on the Collingwood board after one of their posters said no chance and posted something like "don't be so sure, his grandad passed away recently and family is very important to him".

This guy is a gem. Being a Vic boy, he'll attract plenty of interest from Melbourne clubs in the coming years. He's a 10-year player who'd fit in every side's best-22.

Hopefully Jake is keen on Adelaide as you guys have lost enough players over the journey. I'd love him at the Cats. Right now, he's streets ahead of where Cockatoo is at.

No, my memory was of the successful sides of the last decade, the majority of which had so-so ruckmen at best.

Mumford and the dogs ruckmen (Roughhead etc) are all very replaceable and those teams would keep winning.

You put Nankervis into GWS instead of Mumford and they go exactly as well. Wouldn't even notice he's gone.

The Bullies rotated ruckmen through all year and kept winning. Just needed a warm competitive body.

Ruckmen are completely overrated and their key stat - hitouts to advantage - is trivial. Maybe a quarter of hitouts actually go to a club's advantage.

What other sportsman gets by with a 25% success rate?

In 1 on 1 marking contests up until late August last year, there was only 1 player in the entire comp that won 50% of the contests he was involved with (Tippett). Jenkins was third in the AFL with 42% and Buddy was just 27%.

That's without even taking into account that fact that many of these contests would have been mis-matches (i.e. Tippett 1 on 1 with a small defender or midfielder due to Tippett somehow getting separated from his defender). It is very rare that a ball up or throw-in will have a ruckman contesting against someone not of a similar size, due to the delay between the play being stopped and then restarted.

Also, there was often a third man up at many ruck contests, reducing the chances of a ruckman winning the contest. Given that, I think it is pretty unreasonable to expect any ruckman to win 50% of hit outs to advantage.

This is exactly why we need a decent ruckmen

The last time we had midfielders of any note we won a couple of flags, when you have a gun midfield you can probably get by with a mediocre ruckman

Look at our midfield it's crap, by having a decent ruckman it will compensate for our lack of mids
The last time ?? Pretty sure we had a superstar midfield in 05/06 too with the best tap ruckman going around.

Good ruckmen are very handy to have but hardly a necessity to success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back