Mongrel - who has it who doesn't ? Does it Matter?

Remove this Banner Ad

For all his shortcomings, Mitch Robinson was a psycho of the highest order. I remember him raising his hand and apologising to Simon Black after almost decapitating him in a match. His attack on the footy was unrivalled. He was the definition of mongrel. He doesn't play with the same disregard for his safety anymore, probably because he has a young family. Changes to the sliding rule have worked against him too. But geez, he was awesome to watch in finals.

He is tough & uncompromising with no fear for his own safety, regardless of his skill limitations, his only focus is always to win the contest.

This is the trait we need to find more of and in spades.

I want more than mongrel - I want enforcers. We have only one of those - Cripps.

Our premiership teams were full of them. Tough, uncompromising, willing to hurt the opposition when they tackle. We need a midfield full of them to do it again.

Ps why was the only bloke who stuck up for sps the smallest bloke in the team!? Kudos to fisher for having a crack - maybe he's one with mongrel

We are on the bottom of the ladder for mongrel. I love Carlton but I have been frustrated for at least the last 10 years that we just roll over when the nasty boys have a go at us.

Kruez is a big tractor but has no mongrel.
Cas is a big brute, but has no mongrel.
Our leaders are small and have no mongrel.
Jones is a nice fella, he has no mongrel.
Our kids are kids...they have no mongrel (although I think Williamson has shown signs he is the new breed). I also think Polson has a bit of it...hope he makes it.

We need the Hodgey's and Johnno Browns and Tex Walkers - good blokes who not only stand up for themselves, but their team-mates. It will take time because it will come from our kids and hopefully be bred in to them by Bolts..

I noticed a nice chart put up by a poster and Carlton was amongst the lowest scoring in fines and suspensions this year. Some say how nice to support such a lovely bunch of nice boys. I say BULLSHIT - we are short of mongrel BIG TIME.

These blokes have some mongrel in them and the rest should wake up to themselves

This is my get a pass and can play because they have some mongrel when required in them. I dont count mouthy players as real mongrels - so scratch Plowman for example.

I dont count chip scab possessions or hugging tacklers as mongrels and half steppers get one half step in whole career before they are barred.

White AlexS Byrne
Weitering Jones Docherty
Williamson XXX Thomas
Kreuzer Cripps Ed Curnow
SOJ Charlie XXX
XXX XXX XXX

IC: XXX XXX Fisher Cuningham

EM: Kerridge, Gibbs, XXX XXX

We need more mongrel - have I missed anyone?

discuss.

Weitering? Lol

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Weitering? Lol

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Go and suck on some Jim B Jim B - wot are you talkin about - Weitering is an animal an absolute beast playing as if on parole - forget the nice boy camouflage - he is nasty nasty in waiting. Watch this space.

I'm liking the inclusion of White in the side- as per my preferred starting 22 - he ticks the mongrel box- the backs play taller when he is playing - they also play a bit anxious as they wait for the inevitable clanger and boomerang slingshot back at ya...but that is another story.

There is a thin line between being a mongrel and being strong.

Good sides tend to be able to physically dominate poorer, often younger side. That's where we need to get to eventually.

While I don't necessarily think it is imperative to have snipers in a team, I do think it is important the players and in particular the leaders show physical intent and don't get bullied on field.

IMO both Gibbs and Murphy, while very very good footballers, don't have this attitude in their DNA. I don't want these two to go out there and get reported but I want them to show physical intent but they never do.

Murphy is so polite on field it's ridiculous IMO. He's basically waiting to get man handled.

I agree, we need more mongrel, best I have seen from the boys as a unit this year was against GC and in particular Gary Ablett. Thought that was the reason we won that game.

1st half on him was great, then in the second they lost that focus a bit and we started getting done. Best part was when one of our boys had given GAJ a bit and run off, GAJ was having a bit of a sook about it and then willo come straight in and put him on the ground.

Loved it

One of the many reasons I admire Kreuzer so much is he's as nice (and quiet) as they come, but he's demonstrated time and time again that he sees ball, he gets ball whether you're in the way or not. Remember some poor opposition sod getting absolutely straight on bull dozed in one of our good wins weeks ago.

Hes not the typical definition of mongrel or anything, but at the same time, he's so competitive and keeps his mind on the job of just playing footy he never seems to get intimidated by anyone either. He just plays and does everything he can to help the team. Could do with more of that too.

Anyway, good Fred JaB.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Courage

Sam+Kerridge+Carlton+v+Sydney+2016+AFL+NAB+M3eVDf7Hgj-l.jpg

Sam Courage

Sam+Kerridge+Carlton+v+Sydney+2016+AFL+NAB+M3eVDf7Hgj-l.jpg
Looks liek Tarzan plays toio much and too often liek Jane - someone needs to get in his ear and say 'hey Sammo mongrel up son'...has all the attributes of a star mongrel and has even shown some against his old Club - needs to bring it every week - forget the mistakes hurt the opponent as often as possible.

Would you really include Thomas in a team for Mongrel? It's embarrasing when Thomas tries to act tough on a footy field. Not his strength

Thomas is a sneaky mongrel knows when to drop a shoulder - but yeah he is getting on a bit should be played more on ball - his play making days are well and truly over - and his defensive capability as a forward pocket are weak because he has no acceleration or closing speed - but he alkways goes when he has to go - never shirks it.

There is a thin line between being a mongrel and being strong.

Good sides tend to be able to physically dominate poorer, often younger side. That's where we need to get to eventually.

While I don't necessarily think it is imperative to have snipers in a team, I do think it is important the players and in particular the leaders show physical intent and don't get bullied on field.

IMO both Gibbs and Murphy, while very very good footballers, don't have this attitude in their DNA. I don't want these two to go out there and get reported but I want them to show physical intent but they never do.

Murphy is so polite on field it's ridiculous IMO. He's basically waiting to get man handled.
We want strong mongrels - but I'll take sneaky mongrel ahead of no mongrel any day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back