Player Watch #13 Oliver Florent

Remove this Banner Ad

b3ebc66265ef6bd495af79a6160b9352

Oliver Florent
Young speedster Oliver Florent has become a crucial element of coach John Longmire’s team since the Sydney Swans secured him with their first selection at the 2016 AFL Draft. The Victorian has shown glimpses of exhilarating footy on a wing, most memorably when he jagged a runaway goal in Round 4, 2018 to seal a gripping victory for the Swans over the Bulldogs. But Florent, who’s also spent time on the inside of the contest, is determined to continue to grow his game as a hybrid midfielder in 2020.

Oliver Florent
DOB: 22 July 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #11, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Grammar (Vic)/Sandringham U18

Midfield minutes in the NEAFL definitely paid off. Loved his work in the middle.

Another pre-season or two, more bulk and fitness, and more time on those skills, he'll be a superb forward flanker.

He's always going to drift in and out of games at this point but as long as he can make an impact when he has a chance, he gets the gig.

But I expect him to go back to the NEAFL in 2 or 3 weeks to do more work and get a bit of leather poisoning.

Looking forward to him building a bit of strength and body. He's got such great poise and just seems to cruise around. Smooth as silk I reckon.

Along with the other young'uns (Heenz, Mills, Hazy, Hewy, Naisy, Paps, Melican etc etc) we've set ourselves up with a really solid core group that can take us forward for the next 5 or so years. I just love the kind of class guys like Florent are showing at such early stages of their careers. It fills me with such confidence that they are wearing the red & white.

I feel a bit sorry for Ollie. He has one hell of a pre season coming his way. Poor bastard.

Just think of how good he could be after a couple of pre seasons...

(I'm not pumping him up, I genuinely think he has the class to make it. I don't often get overly excited about our draftees, but I'm officially excited about Florent and Hayward.)

Just think of how good he could be after a couple of pre seasons...

(I'm not pumping him up, I genuinely think he has the class to make it. I don't often get overly excited about our draftees, but I'm officially excited about Florent and Hayward.)

Oh I'm very bullish on him. His being selected in the seniors so much this year has been frustrating because he simply isn't strong enough to make an impact but he clearly has the balance and class. A tank on Hayward will be handy too.

Yep this one's a gem.

I know we've all rated Dawson this year and he can consider himself unlucky to have only one senior game to his name, but IMO Florent is first in line should we need midfield depth leading up to/throughout the finals. Changed my tune a lot from a few weeks ago when I did not want Hayward and Florent in the side because they struggle with the physical side of the game. I just look at these two kids and reckon they don't need to be tough, nor do they have to have a massive impact on the game. Just some crucial cameos and moments of class are what can help in finals (ie Jetta 2012) and I'd rather us take the chance on that than go in with negative players of the Robinson ilk.

Awesome run...whoever got stiff armed by a 50kg bloke should hang their head in shame

A 50kg guy running at app 20 klm ph using a stiff arm where terminal velocity is diminished by 50% say will impart an impact force of app 600 lb.

Doing my prof Julius Sumner Miller impression. Whhhhyyyyyy is it so????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A 50kg guy running at app 20 klm ph using a stiff arm where terminal velocity is diminished by 50% say will impart an impact force of app 600 lb.

Doing my prof Julius Sumner Miller impression. Whhhhyyyyyy is it so????

What impresses me most about this is your switch midstream between the metric and the imperial!

Well done, sir.

Lots of positive talk about the ollieflorie but im still a little cautious. I think his best role is full tim midfield and that he might need another season in the neafl or even longer before he can come in and do that in tje firsts.

Im not a massive neafl watcher but it seems like he had fewer dominant games than games he was a bit kn the periphery, especially late in the season.

I sure hope he makes it because his skills and abilities are ones we are a bit thin on and will make a huge difference to us on game day.

On CPH1607 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lucky we got Hayward. Still think Ollie can get there. Couple of years in the gym and he could be anything. Not sure what his pace is like, but could he be the winger we've been missing since Jetts left? Or is he more of a stoppage midfielder despite his frame?

Lucky we got Hayward. Still think Ollie can get there. Couple of years in the gym and he could be anything. Not sure what his pace is like, but could he be the winger we've been missing since Jetts left? Or is he more of a stoppage midfielder despite his frame?

More a winger type by the look of him.

When he gets his hands on the footy he's full of class. He struggles to impact games at this stage and needs to develop a tank and fill out a little more.

He's going to be a good player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back