Welcome to Hawthorn Pick 22: Kieran Lovell

Remove this Banner Ad

Very good news for the young man!

He seems like a very determined kid from the games I've seen him play and the interviews he has done previously, so hopefully he has a ripper preseason, gets the body in a good way and gives 2018 a massive crack

There are going to be so many lower numbers available that if they leave him in 36 it will be a complete injustice.

On another note is anyone else suprised it was only a 1 year deal?

I know he hasn't had the chance to show much but i thought it would be at least 2 years.

Given his injury history I think the club just wants to be on the safe side.

Given his injury history I think the club just wants to be on the safe side.

Maybe. Though we have a history of backing medical advice (and since he was extended that advice must have been ok).

I reckon the 1-year is more likely to be something of a compromise from both parties (length of negotiation backs that).

Club would have been keen on 2-years for minimum wage, player manager would have preferred 3 years on emerging star salary. Compromise: one year on bit more than minimum wage with opportunity to use that year as a guide to the next deal.

Would expect him to get extended pretty quickly if he puts his injuries behind him in 2018 and gets a few senior games under his belt.

So is he part of the wood chopping Lovell family or just has the same name? (I'm thinking yes, with Tassie been such a small place).
In Tassie, everybody is related.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with Jaeger, he's not at risk of delisting and would compromise his earnings signing on for too long without demonstrating his value. Very good signing - I have high hopes for Chopper

I find it odd that they would wait so late and only sign this kid up for 1 year when they're handing out 2yr extensions to guys like Teia Miles who have shown nothing. He is a first round draft pick. Aren't they worried he will picked off by another club?

I find it odd that they would wait so late and only sign this kid up for 1 year when they're handing out 2yr extensions to guys like Teia Miles who have shown nothing. He is a first round draft pick. Aren't they worried he will picked off by another club?
I suspect the one year is in Kieran's interest not the club's as he would command a higher remuneration once he has confirmed his talent compared with say Miles who would more value the security of contract longevity (compromising its remuneration)

I suspect the one year is in Kieran's interest not the club's as he would command a higher remuneration once he has confirmed his talent compared with say Miles who would more value the security of contract longevity (compromising its remuneration)
I heard West Coast were very keen, no doubt if he shows signs next year we will table a 2-3 year extension pretty quickly.

Yeah I can only imagine he wanted one year, backed himself. Not like he'll be delisted in the next couple of years anyway.

One year is interesting....

Hopefully kills it early next year and but parties can agree to an extension

Like most have commented above, 1 year on slightly above average money is better for him. If he gets injury free and comes out next year, has an amazing year (I believe he'll still be rising star eligible) then it would have been a poor decision to sign on for 2-3 on a deal worth not much.

Like most have commented above, 1 year on slightly above average money is better for him. If he gets injury free and comes out next year, has an amazing year (I believe he'll still be rising star eligible) then it would have been a poor decision to sign on for 2-3 on a deal worth not much.
Do we know that it's 1 year on better than average money? Or is it just speculating?
Or is the club looking for ultimately flexibility in the upcoming trade period?
All stories make sense, not proof for any.
If there was interest from WCE, then the 1 year deal is even more interesting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back