Game Day 2017 AFL Grand Final

Who will you be barracking for on Grand Final day?

• Adelaide

Votes: 77 68.8%
  • Punt Rd Ferals

Votes: 18 16.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Won't be watching

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Couldn't care less

Votes: 8 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

1993 was very hard to take. I still get upset just thinking about it.

We left just after 3/4 time ...awful

Edit I think kickett still doesn't talk to sheedy

We left just after 3/4 time ...awful
I was 11 years old at the time, and as a South Australian I didn't know who to choose, Crows (family supported) or Carlton.

Until ... that moment SOS dived and touched Michael Long's goal, but it was paid a goal! I was so so upset I was yelling at the tv!! In that moment I realized I was Carlton for life!!

Just my opinion, but the Tigers only have 3 genuine A Graders. Martin, Rance and Cotchin.
They have about 8 solid B Graders and the rest of the side is made up of role players who played their roles this season magnificently.
This premiership is as much about coaching, buy in, camaraderie and sticking to a plan that EVERYONE from the Captain to the last rookie player on the list understood to perfection.
Added to this a couple of solid, hard bodied mids like Caddy and Prestia and bingo, anything was possible.
A win like this gives me hope because I see Bolton coaching/teaching exactly the same things.
Pressure. Don't play too many talls. Often better to have smalls who are hard working rather than mercurial

current flag drought status

1. Melbourne
2. St Kilda
3. Fremantle/Carlton
5. Us
6. North Melbourne
7. Essendon
8. Brisbane
9. Port
10. West Coast
11. Collingwood/Gold Coast
13. Geelong/GWS
15. Sydney
16. Hawthorn
17. Bulldogs
18. Richmond

B
current flag drought status

1. Melbourne
2. St Kilda
3. Fremantle/Carlton
5. Us
6. North Melbourne
7. Essendon
8. Brisbane
9. Port
10. West Coast
11. Collingwood/Gold Coast
13. Geelong/GWS
15. Sydney
16. Hawthorn
17. Bulldogs
18. Richmond

But us along with North now hold the title of the longest without making it to the big dance!

Well done tigers. I was cheering for Adelaide and I hate Richmond but I am not old enough to have seen them anything other than s**t. I hate Adelaide too.

Great coaching, great buy in from the players, great strategy and a great team effort (plus the best player in the game).

Malifice and Blue_Fusion look at some of the players that just won this grand final. In your opinion it is all about draft picks, despite the fact we already have the most first round picks. Have a look at some of the names who just won a grand final and tell me that culture and attitude isn't the most important:

Graham
Castagna
Townsend
McIntosh
Butler
Broad
Lambert
Nankervis
Grigg
Astbury
Grimes

Where would we need to draft these guys?

Loser mentality produces losers.

Well done tigers. I was cheering for Adelaide and I hate Richmond but I am not old enough to have seen them anything other than s**t. I hate Adelaide too.

Great coaching, great buy in from the players, great strategy and a great team effort (plus the best player in the game).

Malifice and Blue_Fusion look at some of the players that just won this grand final. In your opinion it is all about draft picks, despite the fact we already have the most first round picks. Have a look at some of the names who just won a grand final and tell me that culture and attitude isn't the most important:

Graham
Castagna
Townsend
McIntosh
Butler
Broad
Lambert
Nankervis
Grigg
Astbury
Grimes

Where would we need to draft these guys?

Loser mentality produces losers.
Exactly.

It's what I've been saying for years. Winning culture is more important than wanting to lose just to get a few higher places in the draft.

As much as I wanted the Crows to win the whole week - I have to say that I was very impressed with the way the Tigers went about it. Had a plan, stuck to it and succeeded. Relentless tackling, chasing and effort. It actually feels weird thinking Richmond are the 2017 premiers. But how good does it feel, that it's not Sydney, Hawks or Geelong. Bulldog 2016, Richmond 2017, ??? 2018???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond deserve all the plaudits. However, I do wonder how the game would have changed if even three of four pieces of second quarter play had been called (in my opinion) correctly.

1. Jack Riewoldt holding the Adelaide player, clear hold of the Crows guernsey. Ball spills forward, Richmond end up with a piss easy goal. (+1 Richmond)
2. The holding the man free kick that resulted in the next goal of the game to Richmond (+2 Richmond)
3. Eddie Betts clearly being scragged and held in the goal square. (+3 Richmond)
4. A couple of minutes later the same holding the man call that went against Adelaide resulting in a Richmond goal goes unpaid down the other end. (+4 Richmond)

Instead of a 9 point Richmond lead which saw Adelaide fall apart in the locker room at half time, allegedly, turns into a 2 goal Crows half time lead.

Umpires certainly played a huge role in determining momentum at the break.

Richmond deserve all the plaudits. However, I do wonder how the game would have changed if even three of four pieces of second quarter play had been called (in my opinion) correctly.

1. Jack Riewoldt holding the Adelaide player, clear hold of the Crows guernsey. Ball spills forward, Richmond end up with a piss easy goal. (+1 Richmond)
2. The holding the man free kick that resulted in the next goal of the game to Richmond (+2 Richmond)
3. Eddie Betts clearly being scragged and held in the goal square. (+3 Richmond)
4. A couple of minutes later the same holding the man call that went against Adelaide resulting in a Richmond goal goes unpaid down the other end. (+4 Richmond)

Instead of a 9 point Richmond lead which saw Adelaide fall apart in the locker room at half time, allegedly, turns into a 2 goal Crows half time lead.

2nd year in a row the umpires have joined in barracking for the underdog !!

PS; agree with the above but the Crows were v poor in the 2nd half !!

Dogs and tigers winning the last 2 premierships gives us more hope that we can finally win one too in the next few years under Bolton....as long as the ghosts of MCG failures continue to haunt GWS.

PS; agree with the above but the Crows were v poor in the 2nd half !!

If its true that they collapsed at half time into a pile of misery and anger at a 9-point deficit then its fair to say Richmond's pressure would have gotten to them regardless.

A sixth successive year where the team who was able to apply the most consistent pressure on the contest throughout the entirety of the game wins the premiership.

This goes back to the Swans premiership over the Hawks. Hawks couldn't handle the Swans pressure. They worked their asses off that summer to become the most physically dominant team. They held that mantle convincingly throughout their threepeat. Then the Dogs took over and now it's Richmond's turn.

In a year or two when we're reaching that pinnacle I hope people look back at the "boring" game plan that Bolton is employing right now with the realization that he's training, teaching and demanding the same type of dominance over the contest. The players that we add from here on out will be those that Bolton and co believe can play that style in a premiership team.

Yeah, I was consciously thinking to myself this umpiring in 2nd quarter is massively going in Tigers favour in terms of fallout at those times.

In the end though, I think Crows were fairly pathetic they probably not win anyway.
Just not enough class to get the game beyond Richmond's well drilled game plan of make it a suffocation and scrappy game with tackling pressure the difference again.

FMD - who would have thought that the tuggers would tackle their way to a flag?

how pussy were Adelaide today....

Started of around 2005 this type of tackle festivals winning a few flags. Cats really been the one clear premier that was not of this mould. Hawks a combination of tackling pressure and slick short ball movement to keep pressure off themselves found a way too.

It is weird to get used to that rugby style congestion and focus on tackling is winning more flags that one would expect. Guess it is a legacy of the expansion to more clubs and more players on interchange having a big effect in this last decade. Still think a balance of attack and defence will be the way to win multiple flags, more often than not.

Essendon will be remembered as the team that Collingwood beat to end their 32 year GF drought and now Adelaide will earn the same dubious honour of helping end richmond's 37 year drought.
I remember as a teenager the Collingwood drought seemed so big and guess it was because they were in so many losing grand finals but it really only dawned on me today, * 37 years is even longer but until today did not feel that way for Tigers as a big massive drought like the Pie one was because they rarely been close to contending since they lost to us 35 years ago. But as I saw Crows still on 5 goals it really started to sink in, this flag almost certainly Tigers now. I remembered Essendon were this s**t in 1990 to be the pathetic enabler to end a fun premiership drought to witness.

Who kicked 5 goals in 1990 grand final ?
As the joke at Dons expense goes, the answer is Essendon.

Lucky for Crows they kicked a few more goals to reduce some of the shame.

Back