List Mgmt. 2017 Trade/Draft/FA SuperMegaUltra Thread - Post Trade-Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Some head scratchers BOND 007 why Ainsworth before Constable and Worpel and why double up of the KPP ?

Rawlings, if I recall correctly, reiterated what Simpson had said previously, that being, we needed to address our midfield and small forwards.
What is perplexing to a lot of us is that there seemed to be little attention ( or not enough ) given to addressing our midfield woes tonight.

Ainsworth and Brayshaw in part do this.
However.
Our midfield has been, for a few year now, our achilles heal, we then retire Priddis and Mitchell compounding the problem.
The quality on the midfield depth chart starts looking really thin.
Thats probably an area where we thought the recruiters would have been more proactive.

That said we still have some more picks in the rookie draft.

Banfield, Schloith and David Hanley all un-drafted...... players who are IMO are worth consideration.

Do you the recruiting team see any possibility that Allan can take some midfield duties ?

For many of us who watch the games we see a backline that performs very well, a forward line, that when they get adequate feed from the midfield do much better than most other teams , but we also see with monotonous regularity a midfield that get smashed at stoppages and clearances.

Therefore we see a priority to get some more quality extractors into our best 22.

From the outside looking in, it just didn't look that much of a priority at the draft table today and that has underwhelmed many of us.

Ainsworth is a quality ball winner & ball user with some pace. The other 2 you mentioned arent as well rounded.
Yes WC believe Allen will transition into the midfield.
There is no point drafting kids you dont believe will solve your issues.
Ainsworth can win ball inside, as can Brayshaw. Sheed is good inside, Redden will take more responsibility. Duggan will play more of a role there with others like Cole expected to impact.

Winning the footy is one thing actually doing something with it is another.

The club has acknowledged its midfield issues - its why it traded for AhChee. Take out Priddis & Mitchell - add in AhChee, Venables as well as more midfield time for others.
Overeached is a matter of opinion
This isn't the step change our midfield requires.

Not telling you to suck eggs but it's about maximising the value of the picks. If you rate someone at 20 and you get him at 40, then that's all win. You need to leverage draft position and other teams assumptions.

so here's how i see it:

- in the first round you just select best available, you completely ignore your needs. if you need to address need, thats what the trade period is for. the reality is any player taken in the draft as an 18 year old, isnt going to be able to impact your teams performance in the short term. you are selecting them on what they will do in 3-4 years time for a period of 6-8 years.
- you are approaching the rebuild stage with the age of some of your star players. best case: 3 years away, but its coming
- you rebuild with the KPP talent first. taking brander there means you will get a good head start whilst your side is competitive
- if you switched the position of allen and brander i doubt many would blink an eye lid
- allen is a bargain
- brander is vert good. ability to play fwd and back
- i've watched ainsworth alot at subi. based on the reponse on here, you guys dont realise what youve got. i suspect because the majority of info has come from the victorian media who havent even watched more than 3 live games of ainsworth. he's better than priddis at the same age. he's in the cripps/steele/mundy mold. he is your all ausralian centerman in the making. he'll go in there an extract you the pill, then rest forward and kick a goal or two
- liam ryan is an out and out star. he's a massive upgrade on hill and it means you have life after lecras. i've had the pleasure of watching him for 2 years now after him coming from no where. believe in the hype
- Petruccelle is fast. yeh, i'm sure a lot of you are reading this and going "sure we've heard that before, there's fast players in every draft"... this kid is QUICK! dont you need some outside pace, plus at the pick you are taking him at, its a punt. well worth the punt!!!

i'd happily swap draft haul
Coffield Clark Clavarino and Paton? Sure thing. Line them up tonight and you can take our haul every day of the week.

Since you seem to think Ainsworth is so good, how do you rate his disposal by foot?

The knock on Petrucelle is he is a late convert and drifts in and out of games. ecause he hasnt played for years he doesnt read the game and will take time..

Im hoping that he can as a min become a semi defensive forward / role player. After more experience he hopefully develops a footy brain.

Playing Basketball involves strategy and game plays plus competitiveness so footy transition should be a piece of cake ..

Can you name me players available in the draft you would have selected that would have changed your post
I think that is it isn't it.

When you look at all the high quality midfielders that were bandied around in the press, phantom drafts and on various bigfooty boards, they were all gone by 13. Clark, Bonar, O'Brien and then in the later stages Stephenson. I had seen a bit of talk around Higgins but he doesn't read like the type who's going to be the silver bullet for our midfield.

Ryan is the only one who will be capable of playing in our best 22. The other prospects will be spending time in East perth and won't get a game. This is not good for our depth, We needed a ready made midfielder to push in to best 22 calculations and provide some depth and competition in our weak midfield.
Like Venables and AhChee?

On SM-G610F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can you name me players available in the draft you would have selected that would have changed your post

Hey BOND 007, always appreciate your insight. With the main draft out of the way now, are you able to give us any hints as to what the plan will be going into the rookie draft? Any particular areas of the ground that you feel that we should look to address further?

We've just committed to a long term rebuild while holding a number 2 ruck draft pick in his prime. It's fairly clear our recruitment team have an unclear view on our strategy should be. If you draft a gun ruck you give him the tools to do his job while you can.

Honestly the strategy they're going for is in the best interests of a long term career for Simpson and a few others at the club. However Kennedy, shuey, Nic Nat should probably forget about a premiership at the club and think the best service they could provide the club is getting us +2 future first round picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've just committed to a long term rebuild while holding a number 2 ruck draft pick in his prime. It's fairly clear our recruitment team have an unclear view on our strategy should be. If you draft a gun ruck you give him the tools to do his job while you can.

Honestly the strategy they're going for is in the best interests of a long term career for Simpson and a few others at the club. However Kennedy, shuey, Nic Nat should probably forget about a premiership at the club and think the best service they could provide the club is getting us +2 future first round picks.
Sad but true.

We're in rebuild mode.

Now I've digested it a bit I dont mind our draft

Brander is a decent choice as we are going to be light on talls in a year or 2 once Emac Schofield and Kennedy retire.

We got a couple of mids in Ainsworth and Brayshaw

Ryan will make Lecras redundant.

Allen is the question mark. If he can become a competent mid then its success. I'm sceptical though

Ainsworth is a quality ball winner & ball user with some pace. The other 2 you mentioned arent as well rounded.
Yes WC believe Allen will transition into the midfield.
There is no point drafting kids you dont believe will solve your issues.
Ainsworth can win ball inside, as can Brayshaw. Sheed is good inside, Redden will take more responsibility. Duggan will play more of a role there with others like Cole expected to impact.

Winning the footy is one thing actually doing something with it is another.

Thanks BOND 007 for your candid reply.

I am feeling a bit better and more + knowing that the recruiters believe that Allen can transition into the midfield, thats reassuring, because I was disappointed that we didn't take L. Fogarty and to a lesser extent Kelly at 21. Both who I though would have been handy additions to our midfield and with out sounding smug ,I believed that my thoughts were on the money, as obviously Stephen Wells rated them highly himself.

I also must admit that I am extremely envious of Geelong having Wells at the helm as he has been one of the best in the game for over two decades now, IMO he has a great eye for talent and also assesses a draft well in its entirety and assigns good value grades at all point in the draft.

I digress.

If Allen ,indeed, has midfield capabilities, then that IMO puts a slightly different slant on taking him at 21.
Initially I though we were going solely best available and talent banking , your comments put that thought to rest .

Last edited:
It really disappoints me when I see players/picks being so heavily critiqued without any results to justify the heavy criticism and disappointment. It reminds me of the NBA draft a few years back in New York. The Knicks selected Kristaps Porzingis, and the home crowd HEAVILY booed him, kids were crying etc... he’s now that teams out and out superstar and one of the best few players in the league. People who bagged him have suddenly flicked the switch and love him.

Likewise here we are seeing young kids (who, for all we know, might be reading this forum to read up a bit on the club) - and they will be seeing a bunch of fans disappointed in them being drafted by West Coast. Why? Give them a chance to perform and improve the club. Give the club a chance to rebuild us back to a mighty club - we have had way more success than other clubs, yeah we haven’t won a flag for 10 odd years but we’ve come mighty close. Have some faith, show some support and be positive fans! This could be the draft that reshapes our future!

I did watch a 3 minute YouTube video of Ainsworth and my sphinxta tightened. A lot.

I chose to put my faith in WCE recruiting gurus who brought me Luke Shuey. I also really really hope we have Gaff running past Ainsworth for the hands so young Ainsworth doesn't feel the urge to "place the footy on his boot under pressure."

And seriously Xcess...EAD for your hiding players in the bush league comments. I'll see you all in a years time when you'll again think my jokes are funny

AOW xox

Remove this Banner Ad

Back