Prediction Changes for Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daicos. Was carry over emergency last week and has been in good form. Can play on a wing/half forward and is a beautiful, and damaging kick. Much better on a wing.
His knock is his two way running. Can be lazy at times.

His knock is his two way running. Can be lazy at times.
No worse than watching Mayne run on a treadmill constantly being second to the ball.

Well 3 Things Caused That.

1. Bucks Trying to make him Like Leigh Brown
  2. Heard Surgery on his Hand(That Stuffed Them(
  3. Going to Melbourne when they where a Joke
He had one good season in 2010 and 2011 acted as a decoy for Cloke. He wasn't that good.

Im happy with the ins and outs.

Its unfortunate for McLarty, but I reckon a Cox-McLarty Fwd line is too slow. I wonder, with Langdon back, whether we might give Howe (if healthy) some spells up forward if we need another marking target.

Fas gets his shot.
Brown and Crocker make sense as outs.
And I think Mayne deserves to stay based on last week. Just needs to keep backing it up with that same intensity at the contest.

Well thank **** for that. Excuse my French.
Short of a fit darcy and a few others that's a great side.

I think Mayne isn't doing horrible right now. Prefer aish in his role because he's essentially playing it right now.

What some of us fail to realise is the magnitude of the Aish injury. His role has now being played by Mayne who did okay on the weekend, but we need a replacement for his role over the next few weeks in order to free up trealoar, pendles and sidey, that inside runner with tacklining ability. Aish had the best start to a season than he has had his whole career. shame to see him injured for so long

Im happy with the ins and outs.

Its unfortunate for McLarty, but I reckon a Cox-McLarty Fwd line is too slow. I wonder, with Langdon back, whether we might give Howe (if healthy) some spells up forward if we need another marking target.

Fas gets his shot.
Brown and Crocker make sense as outs.
And I think Mayne deserves to stay based on last week. Just needs to keep backing it up with that same intensity at the contest.
McLarty isn’t slow. Considerably quicker than Reid I’d say, and he worked reasonably well in tandem with Cox, so I’m not buying the too slow line.

Don't be so confident, we have a history of losing these types of games. The saints second half against freo was very good and that for tends to carry over into the following week, lets not get ahead of ourselves but hopefully we get the job done
I did counter it with if we lose, I believe if we are even half genuine we will bring it this week, if not we are where we are.

Then how did we win the Flag when we had lot of Players I could say the Same About then

Was a handy role player who did a lot of grunt work to provide opportunities for others. Don't think he ever realized the TAC pre-ACL hype though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure why we have a revisit of the Dawes abuse here. If anyone cares, I'm in the group that saw a very good forward destroyed by a hand injury that crippled his great marking. All he had then was a good sense for knock ons and a solid capacity as a hefty ground player. Not enough at his size, but he always gave 100%. When he lost confidence in his kicking it was all over.
For this week, the side looks about as good as the injuries allow it to be. Several have realized that Mayne is there to fill in for Aish. He is about the same as a mark, and fills the bill for desperation and tackling. He is not fast, but neither is Aish. His field kicking is OK, as is Aish's and so I am with the selectors here. The various suggestions for his wing spot don't have his marking, and that is crucial for the linking role he is there for.
Fasolo gives some goal scoring flexibility, and hopefully Wells is better for last week's run.
Phillips being available is a godsend. His critics are probably starting to realize his value.
Brown was not getting enough of the ball, but some time in the VFL will probably see him improve this and force his way back in.
The big midfielders will have to wait for the right opportunity. If they keep performing in the VFL, they will get chances, but they are not the right players for the role Mayne plays, no matter how much some of you want him out. They are not great marks to start with.
Likewise, McLarty will get a go, but it will wait for the right vacancy. With Moore out, I did think that the opening was there, but Fasolo was pushing for the same spot.
Retaining Appleby is a reward for effort and form. It probably means that Varcoe will play forward (a good thing) unless the idea is that Howe will spend some time there.

What some of us fail to realise is the magnitude of the Aish injury. His role has now being played by Mayne who did okay on the weekend, but we need a replacement for his role over the next few weeks in order to free up trealoar, pendles and sidey, that inside runner with tacklining ability. Aish had the best start to a season than he has had his whole career. shame to see him injured for so long
Completely agree he seems like the glue that held us all together, seemed to play so much better with him in. Looked so dam good preseason, started great and ofcorse Collingwood tradition, stuck down with injury it's a bloody nightmare, hopefully back by round 14 can get a string of games before final!

McLarty isn’t slow. Considerably quicker than Reid I’d say, and he worked reasonably well in tandem with Cox, so I’m not buying the too slow line.

Fair enough. I am only basing that on clips I've seen - not able to actually watch any of the VFL games.
Happy to take your word for it.

On Mayne, he is most definitely a liability at present and even though I agree he played well last week (for him), I worry this week he will be exposed on a smaller ground. He is not the best in the clinches and that handball to Varcoe (who had a Geelong player 7.8cm behind him) is the kind of thing that can kill momentum.

I'd be hoping Greenwood comes in for him next week to run with Macrae.

Don't share the concerns about being too small in the forward line, Fasolo, DeGoey, WHE, Stephenson, Treloar and Sidebottom are very dangerous one on one forwards. We just need to give the ball to them in space, which means quick ball movement and decisively winning clearances.

Not sure why we have a revisit of the Dawes abuse here. If anyone cares, I'm in the group that saw a very good forward destroyed by a hand injury that crippled his great marking. All he had then was a good sense for knock ons and a solid capacity as a hefty ground player. Not enough at his size, but he always gave 100%. When he lost confidence in his kicking it was all over.
For this week, the side looks about as good as the injuries allow it to be. Several have realized that Mayne is there to fill in for Aish. He is about the same as a mark, and fills the bill for desperation and tackling. He is not fast, but neither is Aish. His field kicking is OK, as is Aish's and so I am with the selectors here. The various suggestions for his wing spot don't have his marking, and that is crucial for the linking role he is there for.
Fasolo gives some goal scoring flexibility, and hopefully Wells is better for last week's run.
Phillips being available is a godsend. His critics are probably starting to realize his value.
Brown was not getting enough of the ball, but some time in the VFL will probably see him improve this and force his way back in.
The big midfielders will have to wait for the right opportunity. If they keep performing in the VFL, they will get chances, but they are not the right players for the role Mayne plays, no matter how much some of you want him out. They are not great marks to start with.
Likewise, McLarty will get a go, but it will wait for the right vacancy. With Moore out, I did think that the opening was there, but Fasolo was pushing for the same spot.
Retaining Appleby is a reward for effort and form. It probably means that Varcoe will play forward (a good thing) unless the idea is that Howe will spend some time there.

With you here. Of the alternatives Wells and Daicos don't have the fitness to do the two way running required for the role to maintain our shape in transition. I would probably still go with the better kicking skills they give personally but I can see the reasoning from the coaches. Maynard would have been an option but he's injured. Murphy has the running game (our long term option for the role I feel) but isn't developed enough for seniors just yet. Sidebottom is the best option of the lot but you can understand why they want to keep him on ball with the form he is showing. Considering all that, and Maynes form last week, i'm not too concerned they're leaving him in the side for the moment.

Have not missed him one iota.
Overall agree.
He’s had his time.

Thanks for coming.
See you at the reunions, you’re always welcome.
Bye son.

Well 3 Things Caused That.

1. Bucks Trying to make him Like Leigh Brown
  2. Heard Surgery on his Hand(That Stuffed Them(
  3. Going to Melbourne when they where a Joke
1 thing caused that.

1. His usefulness as an ongoing AFL player was exposed. Not quite good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back