Autopsy Geelong loses to Dons by 34 points at MCG.

Remove this Banner Ad

s**t result - that's obvious

But this is predominately the same team that has comfortable wins over GWS & Collingwood over the last couple of weeks - so clearly we aren't a s**t team, as even the best teams have off days.

We need the MC to have a look at the structures that have worked over the past 5/6 weeks and ask if the changes this week were not in our favour.

- a second tall forward is needed, and that is who also needs to provide ruck relief. If Ratugolea is going to be rested then we probably do need to bring in Stanley or Buzza, as our back up ruck situation wasn't well managed today.

- do we have the right setup in defence when the introduction of Taylor was at the expense of Zuthrie? What is the impact of another tall having on the roles that Blicavs & Stewart in particular were playing? Do we need to review our defensive unit and revert to what was working with playing one less tall defender?

Last edited:
I think we have seen enough to know that Gregson, Thurlow, Parsons, GHS and Murdoch won't ever be premiership players.

Maybe a bit harsh on Gregsons but mark my words the others are very ordinary AFL players.
Ordinary players can be premiership players... it's a question of having them in a team that works well and supports them to do their part and nothing more.

I think we have seen enough to know that Gregson, Thurlow, Parsons, GHS and Murdoch won't ever be premiership players.

Maybe a bit harsh on Gregsons but mark my words the others are very ordinary AFL players.
I share your disappointment but I think you'll find that 8 out 10 premiership sides have a few very ordinary players. The trick is to get them playing their best footy at the right time.

Smith did nothing but Bellchambers who has been really good was also non existent. Smith actually beat him on the day.

If only about another 10 cats could say even remotely that.

We need players who kick goals when we need them.
He can take as many marks as he wants up the ground it means nothing if we need goals.
If the passes are not the best he does not have the flexibility to reposition himself.
He can run straight at the ball for a good pass.
This limits his efforts.

So the team takes no marks until the 4th quarter in the forward 50 and he is our main forward and that is OK?
Sure the team has some responsibility but....
I am not saying he is not a good player but am saying he is not a great forward.

Shaun (from Essendon) was just given the most votes for kicking the goals when they were needed and that is my point
Not one word of this is correct.
He is the symptom of the real issues in this team.

Hawkins was the not the problem today.

What hurts the most is we basically never fired a shot all game. It was an embarrassing and insipid effort. I'd prefer to lose by 100 pts trying our guts out all game rather than put in a half assed game with no heart and lose by 30 or so.

It's a disgrace to the jumper to put in such a piss poor effort. It's a privilege to play for this club so give 100% and never back down or gtfo!
We'll never win another flag if we continue to serve up tripe like this and disrespect teams because we think we have a win in the bag.

Scotty better get them to train the house down this week and think about how much the club and fans mean to them. Fire up, play with no fear and take the game on next week because anything less is unacceptable.

No this one I will say let it go.

I have said enough comments over the years to know that as much as we are all burning right now .. that in the end its 4 points against a side that we will probably not play in the finals.

Player are human ..and as much as the mind spin mkultra brain doctors will say that you take every game as just a game etc ... a side can have a slightly off game ..meanwhile after Ess week..it was a bit too predictable that they come our like Bombers loaded with fatboys.

A bad loss is a bad loss and I could walk away from that but to do it in the same manner as always it gives very little hope we are going to match Richmond when what the bombers did to us is their exact blueprint.

Ordinary players can be premiership players... it's a question of having them in a team that works well and supports them to do their part and nothing more.
No ordinary players was being kind

Let me rephrase. We won't get near a premiership with them in the side. They are not AFL standard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank god I decided against heading to the G!

Didn't see much of the game but Parsons looked like absolute rubbish.

We can't persist with him any longer.
i'm sure we will though:p

Yep

Stanley at least works hard up and down the ground. Smith is lazy. And slow. And cumbersome. He wins taps but to no one in particular. He’s as soft as butter and should NEVER play afl again for us.

Don't really agree with that last line. The flip side of my post is that Stanley isn't really any better than smith either. But a) he's been the better of the two this year - clearly; b) the Stanley bashing has been way over the top; and c) the mids are at least as culpable as the rucks for our s**t house clearance numbers.

All imo, of course.

Positives:

Kolodjashnij - our best player I thought. Keeps improving each week and looks really composed now under pressure.

Kept fighting to the end and made the scoreboard more respectable.

Negatives:

I'm pretty sick and tired of players being in scoring positions 30 out from goal and either turning around to look for somebody to handball to or trying the impossible pass. Blicavs was an example of this late. It happens every single week of every year.

Lack of effort. Players don't run, chase, harras.

Our zone. Doesn't work in high pressure games.

Overuse of the handball and handballing backwards to stationary targets. It keeps happening.

Lack of discipline from our leaders. Hawkins keeps playing from behind and we keep giving away unnecessary free kicks. Blicavs throwing the ball into the back of an opponents head another example.

Our forward pressure - It's our weakness and exposes our lack of pace and our zone defense further up the ground.

Horlin-Smith/Murdoch/Gregson - Aren't up to league standard.

Ablett - the worst game I've ever seen him play. Avoided physical contact, refused to tackle, jogged after his man and appeared to not give a flying heck.

Our lack of mongrel. We don't have it. Players keep getting pushed around and there's no willingness to fight. We're not desperate enough and lack that killer instinct.

We also manage to let shittrucks like McKernan, Heppell, Zaharakis and Tipungwuti types dominate us.

Don't really agree with that last line. The flip side of my post is that Stanley isn't really any better than smith either. But a) he's been the better of the two this year - clearly; b) the Stanley bashing has been way over the top; and c) the mids are at least as culpable as the rucks for our s**t house clearance numbers.

All imo, of course.
Maybe we should try both Smith and Stanley in the same team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back