Player Watch #13 Oliver Florent

Remove this Banner Ad

b3ebc66265ef6bd495af79a6160b9352

Oliver Florent
Young speedster Oliver Florent has become a crucial element of coach John Longmire’s team since the Sydney Swans secured him with their first selection at the 2016 AFL Draft. The Victorian has shown glimpses of exhilarating footy on a wing, most memorably when he jagged a runaway goal in Round 4, 2018 to seal a gripping victory for the Swans over the Bulldogs. But Florent, who’s also spent time on the inside of the contest, is determined to continue to grow his game as a hybrid midfielder in 2020.

Oliver Florent
DOB: 22 July 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #11, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Grammar (Vic)/Sandringham U18

Forent is nearly unrecogniseable as a player this year from last. Cemented best 22 now and we are really starting to see what he is capable of now that believes in himself.

Very classy player

Florent showed class from game 1.

OllieFlo is silky smooth. Along with Mills I think they work very well in traffic & think things through really well. They seem to have that slight bit more time than you'd expect.

With Paps, Melican, Murray & Newman all a fair bit quieter than last year (through injury & form) I think Ollie is the kid that has really stepped up. Been great to see he & Ronke both make a good dent in seniors the last few weeks. Hope they can keep it up.

At the risk of going off topic there's an interesting argument to be had about how to rank our batches of AFL-proven players from 2012-16:
I think I'd have to go: 16, 14, 15, 13, 12. Really excited about what Florent can become.
2016 - Hayward (26 games) , Florent (18) , Ronke (8)
2015 - Mills (55), Papley (49), Murray (bye bye)
2014 - Heeney (67), Newman (22), Melican (20)
2013 - Jones (61), Hewett (57), Nankervis (bye bye)
2012 - Towers (56), Lloyd (101), Rampe (124)

Wow the number of games they have played

Last edited:
Towers is really the only bad pick. Okay player, but we used a first rounder on him. I don't know what he was ranked like in the year we drafted him year but he could have easily gone later.

Towers is really the only bad pick. Okay player, but we used a first rounder on him. I don't know what he was ranked like in the year we drafted him year but he could have easily gone later.

Fair bit of crap picked after him to be fair (excluding viney as a father son)

At the risk of going off topic there's an interesting argument to be had about how to rank our batches of AFL-proven players from 2012-16:
2016 - Hayward, Florent, Ronke
2015 - Mills, Papley, Murray
2014 - Heeney, Newman, Melican
2013 - Jones, Hewett, Nankervis
2012 - Towers, Lloyd, Rampe

I think I'd have to go: 16, 14, 15, 13, 12. Really excited about what Florent can become.
A few rookie draft specials from Kinnear in there... And not one first round bust in the bunch!

I remember leading up to the draft a few experts in the media had us taking Mason Wood with our first pick (Emma Quayle). I was stunned when we picked Towers at 22, Wood ended up getting to North at pick 41.

I remember leading up to the draft a few experts in the media had us taking Mason Wood with our first pick (Emma Quayle). I was stunned when we picked Towers at 22, Wood ended up getting to North at pick 41.

Groan

I keep tossing and turning over who i think will be the better player out of florent and haywood. Good problem to have, absolutely wrapped they are in red and white

Hayward.

Makes the difficult look easy.

I keep tossing and turning over who i think will be the better player out of florent and haywood. Good problem to have, absolutely wrapped they are in red and white

Different players with different strengths. I think it’s easier to get excited by Hayward because of the marking and the goals, but what Florent does in close with the ball is equally as impressive. Dunno if it’s just me but I have not been this pumped about two kids at the Swans in a long long time. They’re just unlike many Swans players we’ve had in recent times so it’s something to be excited about with the future. (And that’s not even including 10-goal Ronke!)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From memory he was rated as mid-late 2nd round pick, so we picked him a little higher than predicted.

Due to GWS shenanigans our first pick was 22, so in an uncompromised draft he is the equivalent of an early 2nd rounder

Different players with different strengths. I think it’s easier to get excited by Hayward because of the marking and the goals, but what Florent does in close with the ball is equally as impressive. Dunno if it’s just me but I have not been this pumped about two kids at the Swans in a long long time. They’re just unlike many Swans players we’ve had in recent times so it’s something to be excited about with the future. (And that’s not even including 10-goal Ronke!)

Been about 3 years for me. Heeney/Mills

Really enjoying watching him play at the moment. Classy for such a young player. He'll be a gun.

I agree he's a gun. I love having him in the team, I just never got the hype about him myself. Why he seems to be such a whipping boy on every game day thread each week is beyond me though.
Agreed it has been tough for him to truly showcase his talents down back. I would like to see him given a go forward (obviously the preference is the midfield but that looks a year or two off), with his marking ability and combativness he could be very handy. Pace the only issue as far as I see. Also feel if we lost Lloyd to FA he could play his role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back