Review Geelong defeats Sydney by 12 points - Rd 16, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

What are you talking about !!

I went to a Geel v Syd game at the SCG - Blight and Barassi were the coaches

Ablett kicked either 13 or 14 goals - and at one stage in the last qtr - it looked like he was going to break Fred Fannings record

Swans -v- Cats 1994

I can't believe how towards the end of the game the hope was that HT could just bring the ball to ground to prevent Aliir from marking in our own F50, Aliir really got the better of him tonight and was looking like he might well win the game for them.

Duncan is still our cleanest user of the ball, considering the 3 other stars in the midfield that's a credit to him.

Love Narkles game but just think there are times he could back himself in when inside 50 but he looks to give the ball off straight away, the confidence will come with more games though.

Duncan was superb wasn't he. Selwood may very well have put the team on his back in the second half, but Duncan was very good all game

What are you talking about !!

I went to a Geel v Syd game at the SCG - Blight and Barassi were the coaches

Ablett kicked either 13 or 14 goals - and at one stage in the last qtr - it looked like he was going to break Fred Fannings record

Mic drop..... Owned.

Tonight we the first time this season that Hawkins has kicked more behinds than goals - so his accuracy has been good this year.

But like most of his teammates he was off tonight

True. However the last few weeks he hasn't been kicking them pure; the drop/contact is inconsistent.

I saw what you posted in the game day thread but was too late to reply to it about Harry having a year left on his contract. I've posted on these boards before, I reckon Harry has been on the wane since he signed it. Was it 4 or 5 years?

I also posted a few weeks back that both he and Henderson are no longer walk up starts with how the back line have been developing together, that didn't go down to well with the party faithful.

Someone else posted in the game day thread that the club seem to be trying to put Harry in when there's really nowhere for him because he's Harry.

This is my attitude to Harry, and I just said as much on a Cats Facey post:

At the moment we have, statistically, the most effective defence in the comp. aside from Murdoch - and even he has had his moments - there are no holes. And Taylor can't really swap for Murdoch.

So of the other 5 spots, there's no gap. No real weakness. Kolo is the weakest but he's doing fine. Now Taylor clearly can play one of those 5 roles. But whoever he replaces, does not deserve to be dropped. So what to do with the spare player created when you add Taylor to the 5 already occupying those spots?

Well, logically you look at where we have other gaps.
A second marking forward is the obvious one. Black and Ratugolea are not options, Crameri for now is not an option, Menzel isn't really that player, Buzza isn't up to it.

Of the 6 defenders we are trying to fit into 5 spots, which one can conceivably go forward, kick 1.5 goals a game, take a few contested marks, and draw a defender away from Hawkins? Why, Harry Taylor can.

He's never going to be as good forward as he is back.
BUT WE DONT NEED HIM TO BE!!!

The team benefits more from a mediocre Forward Harry Taylor than a still very good Defender Harry Taylor.

Now for all that, Henderson adds another variable to the mix because he too could conceivably be that second forward. But that's neither here nor there until he gets on the field.

I must concur with everyone who is confused about the game you were watching. Parfit is about as good as anyone we have in the team with the ball in his hands. His composure and ball use are his outstanding attributes

Ok. Over his last three to four games, his rating is around 60. So, whilst you think he's effective, by the collected stats, he isn't.

Earlier in the year, his effectiveness on the game was high, some games in the 80s, some above 100-120+

Slippery conditions may have influenced my thoughts, however the effective ratings don't agree with you.

He only gained 150 metres tonight. So basically three kicks, for 87 minutes on the ground. I agree that this sort of measurement doesn't point to much, considering Blitz had a whole 38, but I think it matches will with his effectiveness rating above.

Last week was his lowest ebb, but better tonight. I still thought he was no where near his best, which is highlighted in his rating in comparison to the first few rounds.

His play at the beginning of the year was outstanding; perhaps I'm expecting this level more often.

Last edited:
Bit harsh, the bloke was in a moonboot all week
Buddy had 8 kicks for the night. He just converted well, nothing Blitz can do to impact that.

I was at the game, and Blitz competed well and was very important in assisting teammates in many marking contests. He was good.

Congrats guys.

Was surprised with how well some of your kids are doing. In particular I reckon Kelly is silky smooth.

You easily outplayed us tonight. Should've been a massacre if not for your woeful conversion (lucky us I guess!).

All the best for the run home & hope to meet up in finals at some point.

:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gutsy win that should've been more with better conversion. What now?? Lose to Adelaide ? This win just covers up Bulldogs loss. Back it up as a good team would next week. Taylor a liability up forward. Scott needs to play players for specific roles and not for their names etc.. Good response to a poor loss- that's normal.... now continue - that's the challenge!

Congrats guys.

Was surprised with how well some of your kids are doing. In particular I reckon Kelly is silky smooth.

You easily outplayed us tonight. Should've been a massacre if not for your woeful conversion (lucky us I guess!).

All the best for the run home & hope to meet up in finals at some point.

:thumbsu:

Class mate.

does anyone else follow this?

https://live.squiggle.com.au/#

currently rates us second in the comp, and 2nd in line for the flag. cant agree myself (and everyone else is yet to play this round, of course), but it simply crunches the numbers - move up when actual score exceeds expected score, and right when score conceded is below that expected.
Interestingly, had Harry kicked the goal last week we would be 2nd on the ladder (for now at least).

Such a costly loss.

A sample of what our board looks like after a loss (from the Swans' board)

Longmire has to have a good hard look at himself and realise what he has been doing is not working. He won't do that though. .

Tim Kelly looks like a flog. .

All night goddam space for them. No spread from us. .

Umps sealing it.

Has he ever not looked dumbfounded after a loss? (regarding Longmire) .

Geelong are ******* awful. .

To dominate proceedings so compehensively and only secure the win in the last minute or so was hard to watch.
Great to get a win on the road and it keeps us in the finals picture.

Random thoughts:
- JSelwood was immense again
- The inclusion of SSelwood was significant, particularly at stoppages
- Duncan rarely plays a bad game
- Hawkins inaccuracy is worrying and he needs to sort it out pronto
- Tuohy and Stewart very solid down back
- For the love of god can we drop Murdoch; just screws up incessantly
- HarryT is all at sea and made Alir Alir look like a superstar
- Fwd pressure by our youngsters was excellent; special mention to JJ for the 11 tackles

Personally im not worried about Hawkins kicking. Every player has an off game, so far this season he has been pretty much a laser with Menzel.

Wouldn't have minded Tom MaCartin who went p33 last draft, was very gettable.
Which of Kelly or Fogarty would you give up? I think Fogarty will be something, its his first season and the only things he has done which have stood out have been good things, not the normal rookie brain farts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back