Review Geelong defeats Sydney by 12 points - Rd 16, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Which of Kelly or Fogarty would you give up? I think Fogarty will be something, its his first season and the only things he has done which have stood out have been good things, not the normal rookie brain farts

Gotta agree

If he was there at pick 36 then Wells may have called out a different name to Constable but that we'll never know

If Longmire was Prime Minister of the UK in 1940 his plan would have been to let the Germans onto the beaches and try and absorb the pressure.

Well played to that Swans fan. Genuinely lol'd at that one.

This is my attitude to Harry, and I just said as much on a Cats Facey post:

At the moment we have, statistically, the most effective defence in the comp. aside from Murdoch - and even he has had his moments - there are no holes. And Taylor can't really swap for Murdoch.

So of the other 5 spots, there's no gap. No real weakness. Kolo is the weakest but he's doing fine. Now Taylor clearly can play one of those 5 roles. But whoever he replaces, does not deserve to be dropped. So what to do with the spare player created when you add Taylor to the 5 already occupying those spots?

Well, logically you look at where we have other gaps.
A second marking forward is the obvious one. Black and Ratugolea are not options, Crameri for now is not an option, Menzel isn't really that player, Buzza isn't up to it.

Of the 6 defenders we are trying to fit into 5 spots, which one can conceivably go forward, kick 1.5 goals a game, take a few contested marks, and draw a defender away from Hawkins? Why, Harry Taylor can.

He's never going to be as good forward as he is back.
BUT WE DONT NEED HIM TO BE!!!

The team benefits more from a mediocre Forward Harry Taylor than a still very good Defender Harry Taylor.

Now for all that, Henderson adds another variable to the mix because he too could conceivably be that second forward. But that's neither here nor there until he gets on the field.

Great post. To say he's mediocre is a bit harsh. 1-2 goals a game is probably normal for a second string tall fwd and I don't think its a coincidence that Hawkins has had more space in the front line since Taylor got back in the team either. Honestly at this stage he is depth player just due to the solidity of the current defense, and given the similar role that Henderson plays. Its a great position to be in-having to have a conversation about how to fit out number 1 and 2 defensive players back in. great age profile too well for the future too, jk 23, stewart 25, Henry 20, henderson 28 and Taylor at 32. Henry owning his spot is very impressive.

Which of Kelly or Fogarty would you give up? I think Fogarty will be something, its his first season and the only things he has done which have stood out have been good things, not the normal rookie brain farts

I know there is a discussion going on but .....which of Fog or Kelly would you give up? Answer is neither.

It was a wet game on a slow scg deck. Lets not go nuts about the tackles.
I’ll let you in on a secret: there were exactly the same number of tackles on this “slow scg deck” as last week on the Etihad deck.

Wouldn't have minded Tom MaCartin who went p33 last draft, was very gettable.

I don't buy into the hype at all.

Similar player to Josh Walker, just a bit more mobile.

He has come in and competed well and took a contested mark here and there but can't kick to save himself. That set shot was absolutely atrocious.

He gets away with it as a newbie but it will grate like nothing else once the newbie lustre has left him.

Savrat >>>>>> daylight >>>>>> McCartin

Well that was fugley...

but we got the 4 points...

just..

Talk about the woeful kicking here.

GO Catters

Good win. We do seem to have a good record at the SCG going back many years. Nice to see a committed team effort across the board.

Big query on Sydney though. Just as they've been talked up as serious threat they've failed two major tests.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Henderson is an absolute conundrum, he hasn’t to come back in, he’s too good to be left out. The obvious option is Henry, but Henry is an absolute jet - god I’m happy I’m not the coach.

An option would be to push Blicavs up the ground again, but I feel his form as a KPD this year can’t be interrupted.

At the moment we have, statistically, the most effective defence in the comp. aside from Murdoch - and even he has had his moments - there are no holes. And Taylor can't really swap for Murdoch.

So of the other 5 spots, there's no gap. No real weakness. Kolo is the weakest but he's doing fine. Now Taylor clearly can play one of those 5 roles. But whoever he replaces, does not deserve to be dropped. So what to do with the spare player created when you add Taylor to the 5 already occupying those spots?

A second marking forward is the obvious one. Black and Ratugolea are not options, Crameri for now is not an option, Menzel isn't really that player, Buzza isn't up to it.

Of the 6 defenders we are trying to fit into 5 spots, which one can conceivably go forward, kick 1.5 goals a game, take a few contested marks, and draw a defender away from Hawkins? Why, Harry Taylor can.

The team benefits more from a mediocre Forward Harry Taylor than a still very good Defender Harry Taylor.

Now for all that, Henderson adds another variable to the mix because he too could conceivably be that second forward. But that's neither here nor there until he gets on the field.

Taylor as a forward is lucky he has his reputation as a defender from the past decade because I would rather have a Buzza in his place in the forward line or Henderson when he's good to go again. Henderson may not like playing forward but he's better at it than Taylor is and I'm happy for Buzza to impact contests hard and cause spillages.

Henderson is an absolute conundrum, he hasn’t to come back in, he’s too good to be left out. The obvious option is Henry, but Henry is an absolute jet - god I’m happy I’m not the coach.

An option would be to push Blicavs up the ground again, but I feel his form as a KPD this year can’t be interrupted.

Henderson to FF, Taylor out and Hawkins to continue to roam far, wide and deep.

Good analysis - tend to agree :thumbsu:

offers nothing defensively, Aliir killed him

at the MCG we cant carry Taylor, Menzel and Ablett

He looked terrible.

It looked to me like someone on his last legs. It reminded me of Lockett's last game against us at the same ground in 2002. The game might just have gone past him. No one lasts forever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back