Review Geelong defeats Sydney by 12 points - Rd 16, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Or what annoys me the most, they'll call it very well one night, for instance Richmond's game last week, yet the following night they have no idea. Versus the Bulldogs I thought we tackled well, much like last
night, but especially in that first half we were not rewarded at all.

I though most of last night the holding the ball rule was horribly officiated. Swans just walked thru packs with loads of time to get rid of it, then for it to be knocked out in a tackle and it's play on. The delayed
ones on Ablett and Danger I think in the first quarter were a joke. To call these, 4-5 seconds after the play was laughable.
The umpiring is far to pedantic, surely the rules are made so that one team is not disadvantaged by a transgression, but often free kicks are paid which have no impact on the game, we see frees paid, the players dont know what they are for, the crowd dont know what they are for.....so WHY pay them. Agree the HTB decisions are so inconsistent and if the AFL are looking to find why fans are switching off, this is part of it.

To put this is context:
We have not had any rain in Sydney this week, it was 25 degrees yesterday. Outside the ground was bone dry. When we got to our seats (ground level, 8 rows back) the concrete underfoot had puddles of water on them. This was at 6.30, so before any significant dew would have set in. Someone sitting with me was on the ground pre-game, when he came back to his seat his shoes were soaking wet. (Before anyone asks, no I was not sitting with a member of the cheer squad!). From the first bounce the ball was skidding on the turf and players were struggling to mark overhead. Truly bizarre.

Btw, this is not the first time this has happened at the scg. 2005 semi final was played on an absolute bog, and it had not rained in Sydney on gameday that day either.

Maybe the groundkeeper from Moorabbin has moved North.

Stanley has been in our bests in each of the last four games. Dare I ask, has he finally found consistency?

Either way, Smith is not getting back in this side in 2018 barring injury.

hes currently playing consistently, but its probably not nearly enough of a stretch to say he has found consistency.

i like him though. never any doubt he had the talent.

last night i really liked the mark he took right on the line, which was going through for a point. it involved a fair leap and stretch, and it was a single touch and it stuck. this is an assumption on my part, but i think the 'old stanley' would have been content to simply watch it sail over his head for a point.

if my assumption is correct, i think that is a small sign, but an important sign, that he is engahed with each game 100% - the absence of which is what i believe has made him look poor in the past.

I was impressed with Hawkins' ruck work in the forward 50. Of the four occasions I recall two were throw-ins and he won both to advantage and the others were ball ups and he easily won both; one a hit to advantage and the other he took possession and hand balled to advantage. All four were obviously coordinated and not simply hit or miss random plays.

I was impressed with Hawkins' ruck work in the forward 50. Of the four occasions I recall two were throw-ins and he won both to advantage and the others were ball ups and he easily won both; one a hit to advantage and the other he took possession and hand balled to advantage. All four were obviously coordinated and not simply hit or miss random plays.

Hawkins was a beast last night. Had he kicked straight it would have been one of his all time best games.

Ablett was limping noticeably after the game so don't be surprised if he doesn't play next week and has reinjured the hammy.

Tough game to watch. Just had that sick feeling that Sydney was going to steal it even though they didn't deserve to win. Thankfully, got the 4 points and we can move onto next week.

Thought the young guys really stood up. The pressure acts that have been missing were there lead by JJ I thought. He was constantly on his bike. Kudos for doing the s**t stuff younger players don't like doing.

Kelly was really good again. Started the year with a bang, dropped off a little but has been reborn since the bye. Did he just need a freshen up?. If so, looking forward to his finals series if we qualify!.

Stanley was good I thought. Up against a better ruck than the past few opponents and held his own.

Duncan and J. Selwood were great which helped with lower output from Paddy and Gaz.

Thought the coaches should have moved Taylor back for more patches after being outplayed by Allir. He is a shittruck player but had HT's measure all night.

The ground conditions were appalling. Anti dew spray my arse. Someone switched it out for Canola spray!. The Cats seemed to be the only ones that struggled with it early....ploy by Sydney ground staff?. Who knows.

Umpiring is getting worse each week. The 50's for not clearing the protected zone are crap and there is a non existent holding the ball rule at times it seems.

Also, the whole Channel 7 commentary team can get stuffed. Openly on air discussing a 1ST YEAR PLAYER going home as a done deal should not be happening. Rumour mongering at its finest.

Really loved JJ's pressure all night , could have capped it off with the set shot though :)
Fogarty - really ran in with purpose on that set shot and it got the 6 points - well done son :thumbsu:
Henry - aerial work superb but his work with the ground ball was also very , very good
Narkle - second game blues , looking forward to the next few weeks
Stanley - really building now , kudos young man
Kelly - wow, clutch player
Kolo - bounced back very well from last week :thumbsu:
Hawk - he's on fire , get him isolated as much as we can.

Win the next 2 and see where we can go from there - must maintain the hunger though

I'm miles behind here,haven't read the game day or this thread at all,I bet it's been said though the Skippers second half was top notch.

ill fill you in... in the 56 pages of the game day thread, and the 17 pages here, weve only just properly covered cyrils retirement.

joels second half may get a mention in due course.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think it's a case of dropping him. I just dislike playing him forward, when he doesn't have any forward craft. Well yes he can mark the ball and kick it toward the goal. But his turning circle is bigger than the QE2 and are we robbing Peter to pay Paul?

Is he a better defender than Kolo or Henry? Then why play him forward?

Harry back and Henry forward if Crameri isn't going to cut the mustard. Henry has been brilliant down back but also played most of his development footy up forward. Is it too risky? maybe, but I cant see his goal kicking being any worse than Harry's currently. He has stepped up big time this season, and reads the flight extremely well. Could he adjust to a role up forward? Would also counter the slowness of Menzel and Harry up forward as he is quicker and more athletic than both.

Harry back and Henry forward if Crameri isn't going to cut the mustard. Henry has been brilliant down back but also played most of his development footy up forward. Is it too risky? maybe, but I cant see his goal kicking being any worse than Harry's currently. He has stepped up big time this season, and reads the flight extremely well. Could he adjust to a role up forward? Would also counter the slowness of Menzel and Harry up forward as he is quicker and more athletic than both.
Whatever the case is, that's two weeks out of three that the second-tall down back has really ripped us a new one. I would really, really like to see Hendo play forward this weekend - just give it a go, Cats...

Hawkins was a beast last night. Had he kicked straight it would have been one of his all time best games.

I've been enjoying seeing opposition fans bag Hawkins out.

He's kicked 30 goals this year (2.5 a game, average) and directly assisted 16 more (4th best in the league). Dangerfield not far behind on the goal assists either (ranked 6th).

So, with the addition of a reasonable quality 2nd tall (Taylor/Buzza/Ratugolea), we've got a 46 goal season (goals kicked plus assists) from Hawkins.

That's pretty bloody handy.

You take that back, Daisy is almost the only straight woman in that competitio... oh, wait.
I found it completely idiotic that BT was alluding to the ongoing conversation between Daisy and Danger as something more...

Danger's wife plays in the tier 2 AFL womens comp, Daisy is arguably the best player in the womens comp, Danger the same in the mens. They can enjoy each other's company as two colleagues without it being anything more. No-one would have said a thing if it was two men chatting away and laughing.

I found it completely idiotic that BT was alluding to the ongoing conversation between Daisy and Danger as something more...

Danger's wife plays in the tier 2 AFL womens comp, Daisy is arguably the best player in the womens comp, Danger the same in the mens. They can enjoy each other's company as two colleagues without it being anything more. No-one would have said a thing if it was two men chatting away and laughing.
In all seriousness, given the infancy of the women's competition, I expect better as well.

Haha, watch the fur fly if he suggested it between two fellas...

Harry's kicking for goal has always been a bit dodgy. He's one of those frustrating blokes whose field kicking is usually brilliant, yet put him in front of the big sticks with the extra pressure of having to score and he loses it.
Kicks for goal like he's anticipating a prostate exam.

I bet he gets the third degree when he get home all the same.

When we have gone in with Hawkins as our lone tall forward he doesn't have the impact he does when he had another tall partner alongside him - so while Taylor may not have had his best game last night, structurally it works best for the team and a pairing we may have to get used to for the remainder of the year
I agree 100% that we need a 2nd big tall structurally. I wish it was the big sav, but maybe not for a while, but it should be Buzza.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back