Has Lance Franklin surpassed Wayne Carey as the greatest key forward of the modern era?

Has Lance Franklin surpassed Wayne Carey as the greatest key forward of the modern era?

• Yes – already

• Not yet – but he will

• No – and he won't

• Someone else is the best

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

To be honest I am not sure as Dunstall was not the best forward of his era, while Buddy was of is, and Buddy is in an era where it is a lot harder for key forwards to kick goals, not just because teams no longer focus on kicking to their key forward as much, but also scores in general are lower and zones prevent key forwards kicking bags so Buddy's 918 goals or whatever it is so far is probably worth more than Dunstall's 1250.

Not to mention if Buddy was more ambition than raw talent like Dunstall was, hed have more premierships than Dunstall right now

Oh wow thanks I hadn't given any thought to that. What a revelation.

That changes the fact that there are less elite forwards how, exactly?

Maybe there are fewer elite forward now not because the forwards are less talented, but rather because the game is harder for key forwards these days. If Hawkins played in the 80's and 90's there is a good chance he would have kicked 1000 goals.

Buddy has passed Carey, comfortably.

I also think If it wasn't for Fevola's indiscretions that forced him into early retirement at 29, he would have surpassed Carey.

Maybe there are fewer elite forward now not because the forwards are less talented, but rather because the game is harder for key forwards these days. If Hawkins played in the 80's and 90's there is a good chance he would have kicked 1000 goals.

Perhaps. I think he would have kicked more than he has, but just remember what defenders could do 20-30 years ago that they can't now.

Which is fine, but if he was the best ever then he should have won the Coleman quite a lot himself.

You obviously didn't see that era. You really need to stop.

Dunstall and Lockett were superstars. A couple of the greatest ever players let alone FFs. Yet despite kicking less goals being a CHF, Carey is still the best of the lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carey was like Joel Selwood (although a different kind of Duck - come at me Cats hehe) and Buddy combined. I've never seen a player in my time watching footy take charge of a game and steer his team to the win as often. That's a great trait of Selwoods - to be able to lift his team when they seem to be floundering. Carey did it more than anyone and with the toughness and will to win of Selwood and the mercurial ability and want to dominate like Buddy.

Carey was like Joel Selwood (although a different kind of Duck - come at me Cats hehe) and Buddy combined. I've never seen a player in my time watching footy take charge of a game and steer his team to the win as often. That's a great trait of Selwoods - to be able to lift his team when they seem to be floundering. Carey did it more than anyone and with the toughness and will to win of Selwood and the mercurial ability and want to dominate like Buddy.

This is a pretty fair summation.

It wasn't the amount of goals, it was when he kicked them, the circumstances of them, the ones he set up that made him what he was.

Which is fine, but if he was the best ever then he should have won the Coleman quite a lot himself.
He was a CHF in an era where FF kicked all the goals.

To diminish him on his goal tally speaks volumes of not watching Carey ever play football, I mean, not really a forward?

Good god man, delete account and come back with a new name as this one is shot.

You obviously didn't see that era. You really need to stop.

Dunstall and Lockett were superstars. A couple of the greatest ever players let alone FFs. Yet despite kicking less goals being a CHF, Carey is still the best of the lot.

Correct. Dunstall and Lockett barely moved out of the 50. Longmire was that bloke for us until his knees gave out. Carey started CHF and roamed up to the wing and further up field.

He was a CHF in an era where FF kicked all the goals.

To diminish him on his goal tally speaks volumes of not watching Carey ever play football, I mean, not really a forward?

Good god man, delete account and come back with a new name as this one is shot.

He was without a doubt one of the greatest forwards of his era, if not all time. Didn’t kick enough goals? Sits 19th on the all time list despite playing chf.

Carey > Buddy and I'd also rather root Carey in the toilets than Franklin any day.

In all seriousness though, Carey was amazing to watch. And in a FF dominated game at that time to be dubbed "The king" speaks volumes. I would rather watch Carey play than Franklin even now. Just because it seemed like he would win games for North off of his own boot.

And get rid of that clown that said he's not a forward.

Back