Opinion Will the Fremantle win prove to be 2007 Richmond win re-visited?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think this result changes our destiny for 2018.

But if we got handed Collingwood, Hawthorn or Melbourne's draw we would be a lot higher than 8th now.

Lets hope that this is the start of a 6 game win streak.

At least now our destiny is back in our hands, dont drop it.

Last edited:
Lost by 1 point and 11 points.

Lost by 18 points and 3 points.

Hardly mediocre. But in the grey, overcast and dreary GFC supporter existence you reside in, im surprised you rounded up the way you did.

GO Catters
The Richmond games were hard to sum up. Very good patches with some deplorable moments in between. Just about a tick.

The Hawthorn games I was unhappy with. Effort, composure and skill just not at the required level. Nice enough comebacks to stop blowouts, but too little too late. These games did raise question marks for me.

I also agree with the sentiment that MCG and interstate games tell us a lot more about the group and what they can achieve than games in Geelong. We are fantastic there and don't let opposition play well at all. This would be fantastic if we played finals there, but we don't, so need to improve elsewhere.

First final will tell us a lot.

Haven’t read the entire thread but looking back I reckon that Richmond win is overstated. That was a team that copped a whack during the week vs a team low on morale with a “* you” attitude towards their coaches (dropping Gasper IIRC).
The following week vs the Eagles was the one that got the players believing they could do it.
Then the back to back Adelaide trips.

Haven’t read the entire thread but looking back I reckon that Richmond win is overstated. That was a team that copped a whack during the week vs a team low on morale with a “**** you” attitude towards their coaches (dropping Gasper IIRC).
The following week vs the Eagles was the one that got the players believing they could do it.
Then the back to back Adelaide trips.
Especially after the 2006 debacle.

I think there are many people on here that overate our current list. I think we have the ability to win a final or two, but this group is not good enough to go all the way in my view. I just want to see us compete well in the finals, I'm confident that we can do that if we play our best for long enough and I'll be quite contented. We just need to keep hitting the draft and bring in some Free Agents, and we are tracking along pretty well.

Lost by 1 point and 11 points.

Lost by 18 points and 3 points.

Hardly mediocre. But in the grey, overcast and dreary GFC supporter existence you reside in, im surprised you rounded up the way you did.

GO Catters

His last sentence is the most accurate and pertinent - our next important game is the first final. The entire season hinges on that.

We should and I'm expecting them to roll over Gold Coast pretty easily. If we beat Hawthorn/Sydney/Melbourne in week 1, great, then we wait and see. But no matter how much we beat Gold Coast by (and it should be a lot), it doesn't count for much if we exit two weeks later.

His last sentence is the most accurate and pertinent - our next important game is the first final. The entire season hinges on that.

We should and I'm expecting them to roll over Gold Coast pretty easily. If we beat Hawthorn/Sydney/Melbourne in week 1, great, then we wait and see. But no matter how much we beat Gold Coast by (and it should be a lot), it doesn't count for much if we exit two weeks later.

Agree with the final being important.

The last sentence was the only accurate and pertinent thing -

Just called bullshit on the rest. And I you'll notice I took no task to the finals comment.

GO Catters

The issue I have is we wouldn’t of played a tough game leading into finals for a month.
I think we will face a Melbourne side primed. Full of confidence and coming off some morale boosting, tough games.
I would prefer to play Sydney/GWS away or Hawks.

The Hawks, Tigers and Demons in 3 of the previous 4 weeks prior to the final 2 games is going to lead us in good sted.

The Richmond games were hard to sum up. Very good patches with some deplorable moments in between. Just about a tick.

The Hawthorn games I was unhappy with. Effort, composure and skill just not at the required level. Nice enough comebacks to stop blowouts, but too little too late. These games did raise question marks for me.

I also agree with the sentiment that MCG and interstate games tell us a lot more about the group and what they can achieve than games in Geelong. We are fantastic there and don't let opposition play well at all. This would be fantastic if we played finals there, but we don't, so need to improve elsewhere.

First final will tell us a lot.

One thing I can bank on is I feel extremely confident (baring injury problems) that if we get hawthorn first week of the finals we will beat them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s your own feel if we get hawthorn first week which is a big possibility
I've been a fence sitter on Geelong/Hawthorn games for a hell of a long time. I think the two games this season Geelong have largely been poor in, while Hawthorn have been close to their best (of their 2018 selves). The question is, does this mean this year they have our number - nullifying us and knowing exactly how to dissect us? The pessimist in me says yes.

The optimist thinks we'll take the game on again and can't possibly be as poor as the last two times. Surely we can't lose to a quite decent but limited team three times in one season?

Yes.

History repeats but does not repeat exactly the same. It repeats more like an onion sandwich a couple of hours after eating.

The Richmond game had meaning. But we discounted it because Richmond were a crap side. TICK
Commentators did not talk of Geelong. The narrative was about the terrible game from Richmond/Freo TICK
Richmond was an even weaker team (wooden spoon) than Freo is this season. TICK
Supporters too pissed off with recent failures to get it. DOUBLE TICK
Coach giving up on overly defensive play. TICK
Biggest thrashing of the season. TICK
Record broken during game. TICK

Last edited:
No idea.

But from the second quarter on it was as good as we have played all year, perhaps for several years. I accept that Freo were crap, but their form this year is nowhere as bad as Carlton or the Qld teams, and as much as I hate Lyon, he is a smart coach, I'm sure they came across looking for an upset.

Watching the last two quarters I was wrapped to see the players continuing the bludgeoning without mercy and when the Dockers got it to their forward line our defenders went like maniacs to send it out again, it was how Richmond play. Players seemed to be playing to their best, and seemed to get better as the game wore on. I think it is possible that the game may have given the team some idea of their potential and an injection of self-belief. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that something can be built on the back of this. Seeing players like Murdoch and Guthrie really pull their finger out and Henry who was quiet early, work his way into the game and perform some sublime efforts later was an indication of what confidence can bring to a team. I have no doubt we can beat any of the teams above us, we showed that in playing poorly against the Tigers and Hawthorn and almost stealing both those games.

Priority one is to continue playing that way against the Suns, to win and win well. The first final will be another test. Anything after that is a bonus on what so far has been a disappointing year.

The issue I have is we wouldn’t of played a tough game leading into finals for a month.
I think we will face a Melbourne side primed. Full of confidence and coming off some morale boosting, tough games.
I would prefer to play Sydney/GWS away or Hawks.

I have a feeling that Melbourne would choke on the big stage. An entire team with little to no finals experience up against blokes like Selwood who has played 26 finals and an older, wiser team would leave us in good stead

you cant

Ignore the poster and any thread and post they make will disappear.

GO Catters

I would just add to Daz's post...if the poster has written something offensive, then report it. The Mods will take it from there.

It's a meme, you silly billies.

E.g.
images

Hard to know. Thankfully we don't have long to wait. We've had seasons where it meant nothing (smashing bulldogs in 2010) and we've had seasons where it meant something (2007 Tigers and 2011 Melbourne) For what its worth when we beat Melbourne by 187 points i knew we'd win the flag.

No idea.

But from the second quarter on it was as good as we have played all year, perhaps for several years. I accept that Freo were crap, but their form this year is nowhere as bad as Carlton or the Qld teams, and as much as I hate Lyon, he is a smart coach, I'm sure they came across looking for an upset.

Watching the last two quarters I was wrapped to see the players continuing the bludgeoning without mercy and when the Dockers got it to their forward line our defenders went like maniacs to send it out again, it was how Richmond play. Players seemed to be playing to their best, and seemed to get better as the game wore on. I think it is possible that the game may have given the team some idea of their potential and an injection of self-belief. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that something can be built on the back of this. Seeing players like Murdoch and Guthrie really pull their finger out and Henry who was quiet early, work his way into the game and perform some sublime efforts later was an indication of what confidence can bring to a team. I have no doubt we can beat any of the teams above us, we showed that in playing poorly against the Tigers and Hawthorn and almost stealing both those games.

Priority one is to continue playing that way against the Suns, to win and win well. The first final will be another test. Anything after that is a bonus on what so far has been a disappointing year.

For those who are interested, have a look at Lyon's press conference. He talks about what Geelong does for significant time. He uses the statement "They obliterated us" several times. He discusses how well we transitioned, how we didn't give them space, how even though Fyfe got the ball, it didn't have much of an impact, how our midfield got it out to our runners, how he gave up on the 7th defender as it wasn't working etc etc.

Lyon is a master at killing a game. There was nothing he could get his team to execute in the last two quarters, because the Cats wouldn't let them do it.

In 2007, there were no teams with better lists than us.
This year, there are multiple, and they sit above us on the ladder. That list quality does not always equate to a flag- eg Cats 08. But it helps. Right now, Tigers, Demons, Pies Swans and Hawks are in great form. GWS and WCE are looking a bit depleted.
Getting it together like last week was great, but against the quality contenders in Tigers and Hawks directly before that win, we fell short.
Hence,
NO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back