Good Friday Football Under Threat

Remove this Banner Ad

Why an interstate game when the Royal Childrens Hospital Good Friday Appeal is a Victorian thing?
Good Friday is a public holiday for all of Australia.

The Royal Childrens Hospital Good Friday Appeal has been a huge success for many years without football, it doesn’t need it.

Personally I preferred Good Friday when there was no football.

But if it's going to happen is there a reason it has to be an ongoing fixture of the same teams? I don't seem why it can't just be a year by year decision on two teams.

Totally agree. Playing against the Saints was a big mistake. Hardly any of there supporters turned up, at least there was a fair contingent of Bulldogs supporters there in 2017. North drew its usual numbers (about 20k), the crowd difference was in the opposition.
Saints not turning up on Good Friday may or may not be ironic.

Problem is the weird expectations of it having to be a blockbuster, as if it's the only way playing a game on this particular Friday can be justified.

I'll be glad to see it canned. Like many other supporters, it's the one day of the year that I can't enjoy watching footy.

Very happy that my team didn't play on Good Friday, but I felt sorry for the many supporters who missed out on watching their teams play because their match was scheduled on that day.
The world has to stop for you and your imaginary friend, great. The "modesty" of religion right there.

I'll be glad to see Christianity canned. Like many other supporters, I enjoy watching football no matter what day of the year (especially when there's s**t all else to do).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll be glad to see it canned. Like many other supporters, it's the one day of the year that I can't enjoy watching footy.

Very happy that my team didn't play on Good Friday, but I felt sorry for the many supporters who missed out on watching their teams play because their match was scheduled on that day.
Don't watch it. Pretty simple solution.

When the two teams both had 2.10.22 at half time, you know that's going to be a hard argument to keep playing football on Good Friday.

It's up there with the worst game I've ever paid money to see. And I've seen a lot of dire games involving the Saints.

I'd be happy if the Saints weren't involved. It seemed like North v Bulldogs had potential.

Also, don't put it on such a garbage timeslot. I think it started at 3:20pm? Just make it a night game.

It’s scheduled to fit in with the appeal, which will always come first. It’s the only time theyll play it.

Good Friday footy is not under threat. The existing match up perhaps, but there's an easy fall back to switch the sides or play it interstate. NSW & Qld have had Good Friday NRL games for yonks so a Sydney or Brisbane based game would go down well.

Here's the problem with the lower supported teams, not enough public interest and and when out of form no one cares about them.

Try as they might a marquee game with North, Dogs, Saints will never have the pulling power of a Tigers, Pies, Bombers, Hawks and to a lesser extent Demons, Cats and Blues.

I love the idea of North Melbourne owning the Good Friday slot. I think that's fine. Give them a team that isn't s**t, no offense Western Bulldogs.

Give them the GF winner, give them a Collingwood or whatever.

I love Good Friday footy, it needs to stick around. If the difference is dumping North Melb from the slot and keeping Good Friday footy - dump them.

Do what it takes to keep the date. Not Collingwood, Essendon or Richmond. Or Carlton. Who else draws? Could we have Adelaide vs Port Power? West Coast vs Dockers? Sydney vs GWS?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back