Traded Jack Scrimshaw [traded to Hawthorn with future 4th round pick for future 3rd round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone else feel like Hawthorn pulling a Geelong? Trying desperately not to fall off and remain relevant by neglecting the draft and just trading in players each year?

Going to have a list of a couple of superstars surrounded by cloggers.

Hawthorn has a ton of players in their prime and the new additions will fit right in.

It’s better to go with “known quantities” then unknown. Hawthorn haven’t had a top 10 pick since 2006 and yet they’ve won the most flags since then.

Wingard (25), Scully (27) and Scrimshaw (20) all fit that right age profile and can impact straight away.

lol @ people melting over Hawks getting Scrimshaw. They paid about fair value for him, worth a punt for them. He may be a handy replacement for Birchall (Burton) or he may just play VFL and get delisted in a few years. Smart trading by the Hawks but not doing anything dodgy or under the table.

Why exactly would you trade a player taken at pick 7 just 2 years ago for a future 3rd and 4th?

Off field issues some will say and yet when I read he's a Hawthorn supporter and a lovely kick the cynic in me suggests his off field issues will magically disappear now and this has been somewhat orchestrated by those involved.

Something stinks, while clubs continue to enjoy the opportunity to bend over for Hawthorn.

Dew the fat f*** just the latest. Squeal piggy squeal.

Should add it isn't for Hawks' future 3rd and 4th. It's Gold Coast's future 3rd for Hawks' future 4th. Almost a free hit given the respective standing of both clubs at the moment.

Idiot. The O'Meara trade only happened because Bolton gave Clarkson a handy under the table with pretty much the most transparent bit of collusion in trade history. You never would have got O'Meara without Bolton helping out. Regardless of if you overpaid. That wasn't exempt from the conversation.

Hey idiot do you not know what a salary dump is? There’s a reason as to why Scimshaw and Scully are coming in cheap as Hawthorn are paying for their salaries!

Once Roughy, Birchall, Burgoyne, Frawley, McEvoy, Smith, Stratton and Puopolo all retire, along with Duryea and possibly Ceglar being traded, then that surge will come to a quick halt. You have two years max before that group is done. Then who will you have? You can trade in as many players on the cheap as you want, but you can't replace that many integral players without bottoming out. We'll experience it too, but at least we hit the draft a few times.
You don’t think Hawthorn have been planning for the looming retirements of these players over the next few years?

Hey idiot do you not know what a salary dump is? There’s a reason as to why Scimshaw and Scully are coming in cheap as Hawthorn are paying for their salaries!
This was about the O'Meara trade...swing and a miss.

Also, in regards to this -
Hawthorn has a ton of players in their prime and the new additions will fit right in.

It’s better to go with “known quantities” then unknown. Hawthorn haven’t had a top 10 pick since 2006 and yet they’ve won the most flags since then.

Wingard (25), Scully (27) and Scrimshaw (20) all fit that right age profile and can impact straight away.

Who will you have as your new core once your old core group has retired? Worpel, Sicily, Impey, Bur--- oh wait he's getting traded, Mitchell, O'Meara, Scully, Wingard, Howe, Gunston, Breust, Scrimshaw. Not a bad group I'd say... but hmmm, wait a sec... where are your ruckman? Where is your backline? Where's your forward line? Great midfield, some rebound defenders and a couple of forwards, but f*ck all else.

Your time is coming, I guarantee it.

Last edited:
You don’t think Hawthorn have been planning for the looming retirements of these players over the next few years?
Not well, it would seem. How do you replace nearly 10 key players in 2 years without building through the draft and then trading in?

Does that mean Hawks honour GCs 400k a year commitment to Scrimshaw or they (GC) pay some of it? Or is the slate made clean?

All traded players sign a new contract, but homesick or not he's not going to take a pay cut when these could potentially be his final 2 seasons at AFL level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember when Hawthorn picked up Jonathan O'Rourke in 2014? Why weren't they investigated? How could Hawthorn, after winning the flag, get a pick 2 from an expansion club for as little as pick 19. Look at what a champion O'Rourke turned into, it's an absolute disgrace.

Not well, it would seem. How do you replace nearly 10 key players in 2 years without building through the draft and then trading in?
We’ve been doing it for years

And will continue to do so it seems

Might work, might not, but I’d say it’s gone ok for us previously, wouldn’t you?

I'm sorry but, there needs to be some sort of inquiry into Clarkson and his 'disciples' helping him at every turn. First Leon Cameron with Scully, now Scrimshaw, Bolton helping out with O'Meara, it never ends. How is this not collusion? How can a former number 7 draft pick get traded for absolutely nothing, 2 years after he was drafted? Absolute ******* joke.

ha ha...this is gold!

is scully even traded? do you really think Giants are thinking, oh lets give him to clarko for nothing?? his ankle is stuffed....

and i thought we "sold the farm" for JOM?

this kid couldnt get a game with the worst team in the league even when they were decimated with injuries.....

This was about the O'Meara trade...swing and a miss.

Also, in regards to this -

Who will you have as your new core once your old core group has retired? Worpel, Sicily, Impey, Bur--- oh wait he's getting traded, Mitchell, O'Meara, Scully, Wingard, Howe, Gunston, Breust, Scrimshaw. Not a bad group I'd say... but hmmm, wait a sec... where are your ruckman? Where is your backline? Where's your forward line? Great midfield, some rebound defenders and a couple of forwards, but f*ck all else.

Your time is coming, I guarantee it.

Ablett, J.Selwood, Dangerfield, Kelly, Hawkins, Taylor, Tuohy, Henderson, Selwood aren’t getting any younger.

Two can play this game.

I'm sorry but, there needs to be some sort of inquiry into Clarkson and his 'disciples' helping him at every turn. First Leon Cameron with Scully, now Scrimshaw, Bolton helping out with O'Meara, it never ends. How is this not collusion? How can a former number 7 draft pick get traded for absolutely nothing, 2 years after he was drafted? Absolute ******* joke.

ha ha...this is gold!

is scully even traded? do you really think Giants are thinking, oh lets give him to clarko for nothing?? his ankle is stuffed....

and i thought we "sold the farm" for JOM?

this kid couldnt get a game with the worst team in the league even when they were decimated with injuries.....

Ablett, J.Selwood, Dangerfield, Kelly, Hawkins, Taylor, Tuohy, Henderson, Selwood aren’t getting any younger.

Two can play this game.
I already said we were in the same boat, in my previous post. Swing and another miss. Try again for a strikeout?

Remember when Hawthorn picked up Jonathan O'Rourke in 2014? Why weren't they investigated? How could Hawthorn, after winning the flag, get a pick 2 from an expansion club for as little as pick 19. Look at what a champion O'Rourke turned into, it's an absolute disgrace.

In his 2 years at the Gold Coast, Scrimshaw played 4 AFL games (averaging 10 possessions per game) and lots of NEAFL games.
What did you expect Hawthorn to cough up to land him? He's not that big a fish. Comparisons to O'Rourke (another very high draft pick) seem reasonable. We'll have to wait and see how long he lasts.

This worked well with O'Rourke, see no risk of failure for the Hawks.

exactly....high draft picks arent all they are cracked up to be....

alot of jealousy surrounds every hawks move, no matter whether its a win or loss....time will tell on this one, but no need for any over reactions....hell, id say the roos getting Hall for pick 64 is more of a steal....proven talent....where is the outrage??

665.png

I trust that this settles the matter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back