Channel 7 commentary whinge thread 2018-19

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually don’t think the team they’ve assembled is too bad. Lane and Mitchell will be superb with ball by ball, JB will be good too if he doesn’t spend too long with Flem and Slater

Wonder who’s doing ball by ball for the BBL, Maher/Jim Wilson I guess?

Hope Tuffers is on full time he's absolutely hilarious.
Tuffers is great. I think both Seven and Fox have done a pretty good job. Diversity seems to be good, fresh faces we haven't heard/seen on TV for a long time/at all. I guess given the depths that Nine's coverage plunged to pretty much anything was going to be better. What I like is that having two options (albeit one behind a paywall) should make sure each station is kept relatively honest.

So who's part of Foxtel's team?

Off the top of my head - Shane Warne, Adam Gilchrist, Isa Guha, Kerry O'Keefe, Brendan Julian, Mark Waugh, Mark Howard, Michael Vaughan, Ian Healy, Brett Lee, Alan Border, Andrew Symonds

They need that many because they'll have days where they have to have a team for the test coverage during the day and a team for the Big Bash at night. Add in the travel between Big Bash games and they need plenty of commentators.
This, they have 13 days alone where they’ll be covering a test match and a BBL match on the same day, including one day of the Day Night test where it will be running at the same time as a BBL game. When you consider the travel and that some of them are only on for certain tests, it’s no surprise just how many commentators they have

So who's part of Foxtel's team?
Off the top of my head - Shane Warne, Adam Gilchrist, Isa Guha, Kerry O'Keefe, Brendan Julian, Mark Waugh, Mark Howard, Michael Vaughan, Ian Healy, Brett Lee, Alan Border, Andrew Symonds
Also have the likes of Mike Hussey, Mel Jones, Harsha Bhogle, Russell Arnold.

The likes of Mitch Johnson, Darren Lehmann, John Hastings commentated during the One Day Cup, could also see them join the box. IIRC Smith as well has been mentioned as doing some potential work

just from watching the WBBL, I conclude that Jason Richardson is awful.
Think he’s been on the horse racing coverage. Unfortunately I think he features a lot during the BBL

Maher is better, and that’s saying a lot

Hopefully Jim Wilson does a lot of the BBL hosting/ball by ball

Is it just me who doesn’t see the necessity of a ball-by-ball commentator for cricket on TV? Silence would be far more preferable when the expert commentators don’t feel the need to impart relevant analysis. It’s not like football or basketball where you need to be told which player has the ball etc.

Is it just me who doesn’t see the necessity of a ball-by-ball commentator for cricket on TV? Silence would be far more preferable when the expert commentators don’t feel the need to impart relevant analysis. It’s not like football or basketball where you need to be told which player has the ball etc.
I guess it’s be a bit like Mark Howard’s role on 10. Can provide some analysis, but mainly calls the action. Probably more relevant during the BBL

It did work for Ten during the BBL, tbf.

Largely agree though.

How many commentators do they need? Every list I seem to read has an extra couple added on from the last list I read.
In fairness I think a lot of the comms on that list are either doing BBL or hosting only. Then there's Chopra and Atapattu who are guest commentators, and I think Katich and Gillespie are only doing certain Tests.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have they said who's doing BBL and who's doing Test matches?
IIRC the BBL/WBBL exclusive comms will be Hodge, Maher, Price, Richardson, Tufnell, Wilson and maybe Sthalekar.

Lead Test comms (I think a lot of these will do BBL too) are Brayshaw, Lane, Mitchell, Atapattu (SL only), Blewett, Chopra (India only), Copeland, Fleming, Gillespie (Adelaide Test only IIRC), Katich (Sydney/Melbourne only IIRC), McGrath, Nannes, Ponting and Slater.

In any case, I'm reasonably optimistic we won't need this thread for 7 so as long as we don't see all of Brayshaw, Fleming and Slater in the box at the same time.

It's not just you and I think this will blow up once people realise exactly what it is.

That's a decent line up that they've assembled, Brayshaw is a good commentator despite not playing test cricket, kind of like an Aussie Mark Nicholas.

I'd prefer Nannes to McGrath even though he hasn't played test cricket either, McGrath has the test cricket credentials but he can be painful to listen to.
Brayshaw is trash, just waiting for “OH NO! FLEMO......he’s an absolute star.....Australia 0/0 after the first ball of the test match has been left alone by the batsman...Let’s go to Ash chewer for the speed gun result”

Hope Brayshaw does the BBL, he’d be suited for that perfectly. Wouldn’t be BT levels of over the top but adds excitement

Not as suited to Test commentary but I’m optimistic, combos like him, Punter and Blewett would be nice

The cross promotions are going to be painful but I hope the commentary is tolerable. Think I’ll be sticking with Fox but I will switch to Seven when Ponting is on for sure.
I'll be sticking with Foxtel purely for no ads.

i can see a combo of Slater, Brayshaw, Jason Richardson and Fleming all trying to out do each other in the excitement stakes and becoming quite annoying, very, very quickly.
on the other extreme, how did Gillespie get a gig? his boring monotone voice isn't suited to commentary, he was awful to listen to on the radio.
also I don't think McGrath has got a commentary voice either really, but at least he's not a blowhard like some of the others.
hopefully we get more of Ponting, Katich, Blewitt, Lane, Nannes, and more internationals, than we get of the blowhard types, so I can stay sane over the summer. but hey, no more Chappelli, Taylor and Healy and co all telling us how they would do it better, is gonna be good for us either way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back