Roast The Chronicles of Alan Richardson - Part II - Richo Resigns (16/07)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
in that hypothetical i go in order of preferance :
Horse
Harvey
Caracella
Ratten
Bevo....

something about Bevo just doesnt sit well with me ... ive got no reason or nothing to back it up but he just comes across as a polarising figure

Horse to me seems to have the respect , the experiance and the personality to be the best candidate , i do feel he is pretty under rated as a coach
It's a tough choice isn't it?
All of them have attributes and qualities that appeal for different reasons!
Conversely all of them have certain knocks that would have you a little concerned!
Suppose it just goes to show how tough the caper is and wouldn't envy the board and
Powers that be to make that call!
Which I think besides the financial aspect is another reason the club decided to hold fire
On giving Richo his marching orders!

It's a tough choice isn't it?
All of them have attributes and qualities that appeal for different reasons!
Conversely all of them have certain knocks that would have you a little concerned!
Suppose it just goes to show how tough the caper is and wouldn't envy the board and
Powers that be to make that call!
Which I think besides the financial aspect is another reason the club decided to hold fire
On giving Richo his marching orders!
years ago i was at a corprate function around mens health and well being and there was a presentation from Ken Judge talking about the mental aspect of pressure situations in high performance roles , now im paraphrasing but Judge made a comment around the fickleness of the coaching position at an AFL club and how a coaches "worth" is often tied to things he has very little control over , he mentioned he personally felt his strongest year as a coach was actually the leanest year for the team he was coaching, a coach can get 99/100 things right in his role but still not get the win.....
really it is a mugs profession being the head coach the pressure the scruitiny the expectation ... its not a job for just anyone thats for sure and the reality is even the best coach ever is eventually going to reach their point where their best is not good enough

Some of you guys must have amazing access to the club - or are making wild guesses about Richo's personality traits.

How he presents himself on a TV show is not the basis to make judgement on his coaching capacity.
It's funny, I'd say from an outsiders perspective, a big part of his personality - in particular his ability to communicate under pressure and his charisma/ability to deliver a message and make it interesting and believable - is something we have a pretty good idea of. We can also compare him to other coaches easily and even international ones in other sports with English as another language.

You listen to Clarko or even his 360 counterpart Scott talk about footy and it's engrossing. The same as any of the decent or top coaches... they are just really effective at communicating and getting others to buy into what they are selling. I even went back some time ago and watched a detailed review of the Saints 2008 season that included Ross Lyon's pressers and, like him or hate him, you listened to what he said.

Personally I think it is a much bigger stretch that the Richo we see on 360 and in press conferences that, let's be frank, is an absolute train-wreck of cliches (pleasing, haaaard work, strong in the contest etc.) suddenly turns into Al Pacino from Any given Sunday behind closed doors... that he somehow hides his hidden Obama from the outside world and unleashes it on the playing group.

It's funny, I'd say from an outsiders perspective, a big part of his personality - in particular his ability to communicate under pressure and his charisma/ability to deliver a message and make it interesting and believable - is something we have a pretty good idea of. We can also compare him to other coaches easily and even international ones in other sports with English as another language.

You listen to Clarko or even his 360 counterpart Scott talk about footy and it's engrossing. The same as any of the decent or top coaches... they are just really effective at communicating and getting others to buy into what they are selling. I even went back some time ago and watched a detailed review of the Saints 2008 season that included Ross Lyon's pressers and, like him or hate him, you listened to what he said.

Personally I think it is a much bigger stretch that the Richo we see on 360 and in press conferences that, let's be frank, is an absolute train-wreck of cliches (pleasing, haaaard work, strong in the contest etc.) suddenly turns into Al Pacino from Any given Sunday behind closed doors... that he somehow hides his hidden Obama from the outside world and unleashes it on the playing group.
So basically this failure is being ignored by all and sundry within the club?

I mean I'm sure they would have interviewed the players and if he is as you say, they would take that into account.

Your opinion based on your interpretation. Totally subjective.

You are also twisting the ops words. Don't think he said he turns into something else behind closed doors.

He was asking if we knew his persona effects his capacity to coach. Which we don't.

Two separate issues.

FWIW I find both Scott brothers putrid to listen to. Just want to punch them every time I see them on TV.

Last edited:
So basically this failure is being ignored by all and sundry within the club?

I mean I'm sure they would have interviewed the players and if he is as you say, they would take that into account.

Your opinion based on your interpretation. Totally subjective.

You are also twisting the ops words. Don't think he said he turns into something else behind closed doors.

He was asking if we knew his persona effects his capacity to coach. Which we don't.

Two separate issues.

FWIW I find both Scott brothers putrid to listen to. Just want to punch them every time I see them on TV.
Of course it's subjective and based on my opinion, and this opinion is formed from watching way way too much sport and politics over the years and noticing patterns in good communicators. People can take my opinion or leave it, no skin off my nose.

On why the club hasn't acted, clubs don't act for all sorts of reasons so it would just be speculation. But mix a poor club like ours with a history of sacking coaches with a CEO scared of negative media for the club and I reckon you're close to why we'd stay with a substandard but stable operator like Richo.

I'm no big fan of Scott either but mentioned him more because he sits opposite Richo weekly so it is a fairer comparison between 2 coaches. And even though I'm no fan of Scott, his communication style, believability and way of answering questions coherently is light years ahead of Richo in my opinion.

Of course it's subjective and based on my opinion, and this opinion is formed from watching way way too much sport and politics over the years and noticing patterns in good communicators. People can take my opinion or leave it, no skin off my nose.

On why the club hasn't acted, clubs don't act for all sorts of reasons so it would just be speculation. But mix a poor club like ours with a history of sacking coaches with a CEO scared of negative media for the club and I reckon you're close to why we'd stay with a substandard but stable operator like Richo.

I'm no big fan of Scott either but mentioned him more because he sits opposite Richo weekly so it is a fairer comparison between 2 coaches. And even though I'm no fan of Scott, his communication style, believability and way of answering questions coherently is light years ahead of Richo in my opinion.
$$$

IMO Scott looked like a demigod coach on 360 compared to Richo. All I kept thinking was how embarrassing it was for him, the club and all of us mug supporters.

IMO Scott looked like a demigod coach on 360 compared to Richo. All I kept thinking was how embarrassing it was for him, the club and all of us mug supporters.
Yeah, it was fascinating in a "can't look away from a car crash” sort of way for sure :).

The most telling for me was when, which happened quite often, they were given a question to answer and Richo answered instinctively, then Scott would come over the top with an opposing view and just sound so much better, leaving Richo looking the fool (I remember one time in particular when Richo questioned the immediate after the siren conduct of a player as a "bad look" or something similar while Scott went into bat for the players and put forward his case so much better...).

You'd find that if Scott answered first, Richo would just agree with him, albeit in his roundabout, convoluted style... which after while gets really, really boring and totally see-through, not to mention makes him look like a coward.

Last edited:
Well I think Scott is a whiney bitch and ordinary coach handed the Geelong team of the century and they won the 2011 flag in spite of him.
Totally overrated and a twat on 360

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well I think Scott is a whiney bitch and ordinary coach handed the Geelong team of the century and they won the 2011 flag in spite of him.
Totally overrated and a twat on 360

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep agree but he looked better from the comparison to Richo.

That last para?
Perfect description of Allan Jeans on World of Sport.
Every. Bloody. Sunday.
Drove me insane.
You, and I, have zero idea about how Richo presents to the players.
Just as I had no idea about how Jeans presented to his players.
Presentation is probably an important issue for a generation that has the collective attention span of a gnat.
Me?
I don’t give a continental about how Richo presents.
I only care if he is a good coach and he has the player’s respect.

That last para?
Every. Bloody. Sunday.
Drove me insane.
Presentation is probably an important issue for a generation that has the collective attention span of a gnat.
Me?

Yeah, I reckon the bolded is true, coaching has changed from the time of Jeans regarding what a coach needs to do fronting his organisation, and tactically it has changed as well. I reckon it's even harder for coaches of players who are multi-multi millionaires as well so the AFL ones have it a bit easier on that front. But overall, it's a much tougher gig being a coach in the modern game I reckon, requires a pretty unique skill-set.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That last para?
Every. Bloody. Sunday.
Drove me insane.
Me?
Tis true re Jeans public persona...
Behind club doors he was a totally different beast..
Most players who played under him revere him for his motivational and oratory skills!
Not to mention that he was as hard as a Begbey from Trainspotting!
Made Dipper cry like a baby apparently and even renowned hard men like
Ditterich, Cowboy, Matthews and Dermie all feared him!

Especially if and when he would challenge them in bizarre fashion to
One on one Wrastling matches! :)

I remember Richo going postal one game and people on here criticising it LMAO.

Some of rubbish trying to be passed off as fact in here is astounding.

Carry on. Most amusing.

That last para?
Every. Bloody. Sunday.
Drove me insane.
Me?
Ooooh, checkmate?

640894-tlslargelandscape.jpg

Caption this photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back