Rolling Ashes Squad Thread, now featuring Haddin XII v Hick XII beginning p. 147

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I realise many will disagree me especially Luke Parker but I think Glenn Maxwell has been harshly done by if he misses out on the Ashes series.Just looking at that team I would have him ahead of Patterson as a batsman,one of best the fieldsman in Australia and a handy spin bowler if required.The problem is we are all judging him on his last 6 months in cricket and I ask the question why.The only opportunity he has to push his claims for the ashes series is in T20 and 1 day cricket and surely he needs the opportunity to play some shield games at least.
Certainly not against Maxwell playing in the Ashes. I agree he has been messed around by the selectors pretty badly. He needs to show a lot in the second half of the shield season and hopefully he plays well in his County stint. However he would have to be in a rich vein of form to be considered I feel.

Warner
Burns
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Patterson
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

In reserve I would have

Harris - locked in unless catastrophic failure in shield cricket with the duke ball.
Renshaw - did very well in county cricket
Maxwell
Richardson
Siddle - I'd play him anywhere that is green/overcast
Second Spinner/third reserve seamer

Warner
Burns
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Patterson
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

In reserve I would have

Harris - locked in unless catastrophic failure in shield cricket with the duke ball.
Maxwell
Richardson

Pretty sure Maxwell will not be playing shield cricket due to T20 and 1 day duties.Pretty sure he will not play the longer version of the game until he plays county cricket.A class innings in the BBC last night,sad it got to the stage it was hit out or get out for Stoinis and him with the run rate up around the 12 run an over.Still rate him the best fieldsman in Australia and in top 6 or 7 batting wise and a handy spin bowler to bowl a few overs if required.

Pretty sure Maxwell will not be playing shield cricket due to T20 and 1 day duties.Pretty sure he will not play the longer version of the game until he plays county cricket.A class innings in the BBC last night,sad it got to the stage it was hit out or get out for Stoinis and him with the run rate up around the 12 run an over.Still rate him the best fieldsman in Australia and in top 6 or 7 batting wise and a handy spin bowler to bowl a few overs if required.
You're not wrong.

He is the best all rounder in the country taking into account fielding. The problem is what he bowls, how he bats, and who he has rubbed up the wrong way.

It is essentially Victorians who want to see the Australian team as weak as possible. Not just Pattison either - Siddle, Maxwell and I'm surprised there not pushing for Cam White.
As I said in another thread Pattinson is quality but it seems like the longer he has been out the more he gets hyped up over how good he actually was, another year or 2 and I expect people claiming him to be better than Dennis Lillie.

Well done to Kurtis Patterson on his maiden test ton but selecting him ahead of Maxwell for the ashes series I do not agree with.Sadly Maxwell could have done as well if not better against a very poor Sri Lanka side but misses out on the opportunity because the Australian selectors want him to focus on T20 or 1 day cricket.

Warner
Burns
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Patterson
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

In reserve I would have

Maxwell
Richardson
Yep that's my first XI for the first ashes test too. Got a good feeling about this team

Well done to Kurtis Patterson on his maiden test ton but selecting him ahead of Maxwell for the ashes series I do not agree with.Sadly Maxwell could have done as well if not better against a very poor Sri Lanka side but misses out on the opportunity because the Australian selectors want him to focus on T20 or 1 day cricket.
If only they would admit it. Maxwell even shared the email where they suggested it I'm pretty sure

If only they would admit it. Maxwell even shared the email where they suggested it I'm pretty sure

Maxi wants to play test cricket but the Australian selectors will not allow him the opportunity to play the longer version of the game to push his claims for the ashes series.Just wasted talent leaving him on the outer for real cricket that being test cricket and playing this T20 crap.In the top best batsman in Australia now,best fieldsman in the country and can bowl a few overs of spin if required and the best of Maxi will put bums on seats and for goodness sake give him that opportunity.

Maxi wants to play test cricket but the Australian selectors will not allow him the opportunity to play the longer version of the game to push his claims for the ashes series.Just wasted talent leaving him on the outer for real cricket that being test cricket and playing this T20 crap.In the top best batsman in Australia now,best fieldsman in the country and can bowl a few overs of spin if required and the best of Maxi will put bums on seats and for goodness sake give him that opportunity.
Well when Greg chappell leaves in a few months maxy may get his chance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've gone from Khawaja being the only batsman in the side to average over 40, to now all batsmen in the side averaging over 40.

Happy days! Bring on the Ashes!

Warner (48)
Burns (40)
Khawaja (42)
Smith (61)
Head (51)
Patterson (144)

Just do one thing for me selectors - don't bring in an allrounder at number 6, we have no test quality batting all rounders

We've gone from Khawaja being the only batsman in the side to average over 40, to now all batsmen in the side averaging over 40.

Happy days! Bring on the Ashes!

Warner (48)
Burns (40)
Khawaja (42)
Smith (61)
Head (51)
Patterson (144)

Just do one thing for me selectors - don't bring in an allrounder at number 6, we have no test quality batting all rounders

Burns,Khawaja,Head and Patterson averages inflated because of playing a very ordinary Sri Lanka side.A big question mark for me with Patterson and important what he does in the remaining shield games and probably Burns and Khawaja.Still would replace one of those guys with Maxwell but they have their opportunity to push their ashes claims in the shield where Maxwell does not and even Finch

Last edited:
I’m still not convinced on Warner being brought straight back. To me, depends on form
Only averages 36 in England, so hardly screams ‘pick me’, plus will come with a truckload of baggage.
I’d prefer we stick with burns and Harris, but doubt it will happen

Not sure about Kwahaja.. not even sure about his name... he got lucky,, so did so many others of his ilk... like Head, Harris,
Paine, I would like a couple of players who double up with bowling and batting..

Heads bowling is useful.
Khawaja is a good bat when going but is useless otherwise.
the whole lot of them are absolutely diabolical yet we must have twelve playing and that leaves two dubious players who can't be
trusted... at least they can't do any worse than they have done.. humour me here..

I’m still not convinced on Warner being brought straight back. To me, depends on form
Only averages 36 in England, so hardly screams ‘pick me’, plus will come with a truckload of baggage.
I’d prefer we stick with burns and Harris, but doubt it will happen
He is so far and away better than Harris it isn't even funny. I want us to pick the best team possible and that includes Warner, the only reason i would be okay with him not getting picked is if he had burned bridges with the playing group and they didn't want him in the team (don't think that has happened). Outside of that he needs to be picked.

Starc's 10 of 25 came in the 2nd test vs Sri Lanka with one of the worst batting displays seen on Australian soil for some time.

Good on him for getting 10 wickets, half of which he got from constantly bowling bouncers.

Before this last test match, his wickets and averages were very poor.

cummins had a 10fa as well and lyon had a ripper match in perth.

I’m still of the opinion that if Renshaw scores bulk runs in the 2nd half of the shield and county (if a team picks him up) again that he should leap frog Burns and Harris. He averages over 60 against the dukes and obviously has the runs on the board in English conditions. I think he has the best game to succeed over there, provided he is in form.

Last edited:
I understand people have their own ideas of what the team SHOULD look like, but after these tests I feel as though it's a pretty clear 11.

Warner
Burns
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Patterson
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

It seems like a settled and experienced line-up with the players with questions marks finding a little bit of form (Khawaja, Head, Patterson, Starc).

I understand people have their own ideas of what the team SHOULD look like, but after these tests I feel as though it's a pretty clear 11.

Warner
Burns
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Patterson
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

It seems like a settled and experienced line-up with the players with questions marks finding a little bit of form (Khawaja, Head, Patterson, Starc).

So you are judging players on their performances against Sri Lanka.I would not take to much notice of that series as I think most shield sides could have beaten the team they put on the park.Lets see how some of these guys that have the opportunity to play in the remaining shield games go first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back