Preview Round 1 2019, Collingwood vs Geelong, Friday March 22nd 7:50pm

Who will win?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Kolo and Taylor going down early in that game probably forced a mismatch on occasions.
Oscar Allen is extremely talented and no disgrace he only played a few last season with Kennedy,Darling,Le Cras , Cripps and at times Waterman showing strong form. He is 191cm but has a solid leap and plays much taller

Fair point, chuck him and a first rounder on the table for Kelly and there'd be some pause for reflection

I won't discuss Guthrie at the risk of reigniting a s**t fight but you're really not going to pick our best backman and best forward from the Essendon JLT game?

Too tall with Taylor. Either him or JK go in, I think JK is slightly ahead. Not fussed which way they go there, I just wouldn’t want both

Rohan will let us down against Collingwood. I wouldn’t pick him, but he’ll play. We can re-visit this assessment in 10 days.

Without Bartel we lose too,3 goals sealed it for him,right decision,13 votes to Toms 5,Tom nails those goals the gap closes.The yips were relevant.

Jimmy smashed the voting with his last 50m beautiful goal. Then secured my best ever AFL moment with a don't-come-monday elbow to Dawes on his way back. Still laughing.

With Touhy and Bews not playing it means most likely O Connor or Z Guthrie gets a game. Its an absolute disaster waiting to happen playing one of them Round 1 85k Friday night at the G but I am struggling to see what other option we have considering the Pies forward line is predominately small.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Touhy and Bews not playing it means most likely O Connor or Z Guthrie gets a game. Its an absolute disaster waiting to happen playing one of them Round 1 85k Friday night at the G but I am struggling to see what other option we have considering the Pies forward line is predominately small.

I'm happy enough with either of those guys so long as the matchups work out. Both are very composed young players.

Bear in mind Clark will play.

The yips were irrelevant. Without Hawkins we lose that GF. Most of those marks were contested. He was colossal. One of those shots hit the post too.
The co releationship of Hawkins looking as stoppable as a falling rock and Ried being unfit ..had a desernable affect of collingwood. It was like watching a blow up castle at a kids party deflate and all those feckle faces start look awfully dour .. the party was over.

That he missed the goals was unfortunate but the marks he took hooks into my phillosphy of ball reatention in a forwardlinee doesnt have to be only done thru pressure.. Players can mark the ball. And Hawk was as dominant as anyone I have ever seen in that last quarter. The mark and little handpass to SJ said a lot about both players. It require the Hawkins marks and a bit of sneaky selfishness from SJ but in that selfishness was a the ability that enabled a critical goal. It was icing.

Listening to him talk yesterday.. I was quite impressed with the way he described his kicking now..not so much that he does this or that but rather he understands when he does something thats bad whent has caused it. Basically he has a sense of control. And one can see it he looks a confident kick these days.. not bulletproof but confident.. and what better..if he misses one or two not likely to let it wreck his day.

It left me with the idea...IF the centre bounce thing works ..and IF players like Danger and other can actually do their job better and kick it to his advanatge.. I think he has the chance of his best ever season this year. 68 to beat... a tick over three a game.

Stanley has to stay healthy, could you imagine going into this game with Darcy Fort on Grundy....

I assume we are not whinging about trading him in for Hugh Goddard selection at the moment.
A years a long time in footy,but rd8 last year we had no Stanley,Grundy smashed us in the ruck and had 19 disposals around the ground.50 hit outs total to Collingwood 23 Cats,Cats won that game,and no Hawkins either.Doesn't mean much now but it does tell you the ruck contest isn't the be all and end all necessarily.

A years a long time in footy,but rd8 last year we had no Stanley,Grundy smashed us in the ruck and had 19 disposals around the ground.50 hit outs total to Collingwood 23 Cats,Cats won that game,and no Hawkins either.Doesn't mean much now but it does tell you the ruck contest isn't the be all and end all necessarily.
It'll be ultra important this year, but Stanley's a decent enough ruckman and Grundy to me still looks like he hasn't fully recovered from that toe injury.

The co releationship of Hawkins looking as stoppable as a falling rock and Ried being unfit ..had a desernable affect of collingwood. It was like watching a blow up castle at a kids party deflate and all those feckle faces start look awfully dour .. the party was over.

That he missed the goals was unfortunate but the marks he took hooks into my phillosphy of ball reatention in a forwardlinee doesnt have to be only done thru pressure.. Players can mark the ball. And Hawk was as dominant as anyone I have ever seen in that last quarter. The mark and little handpass to SJ said a lot about both players. It require the Hawkins marks and a bit of sneaky selfishness from SJ but in that selfishness was a the ability that enabled a critical goal. It was icing.

Listening to him talk yesterday.. I was quite impressed with the way he described his kicking now..not so much that he does this or that but rather he understands when he does something thats bad whent has caused it. Basically he has a sense of control. And one can see it he looks a confident kick these days.. not bulletproof but confident.. and what better..if he misses one or two not likely to let it wreck his day.

It left me with the idea...IF the centre bounce thing works ..and IF players like Danger and other can actually do their job better and kick it to his advanatge.. I think he has the chance of his best ever season this year. 68 to beat... a tick over three a game.
Could we see someone kick 100 again?I reckon we see a 90,Riewolt Kennedy and Franklin all in the frame.

Possibly, but maybe the rest played badly and that's why they lost, not that Grundy was insignificant.
Geelong don't care about quality rucks but clearances around packs is the responsibility of the smalls, it's convenient to blame B grade rucks for the failures of smalls. Good excuse but why should it be if they're insignificant?

Everyone was saying that about O'Connor before the final and he was excellent. The defensive side of his game is outstanding and as long as he's in a role where he's mainly expected to defend he'll be absolutely fine.

It seems strange that you're a big fan of Bews while not appreciating that O'Connor late last year played almost the exact role as Bews and did it well. Bews is right now probably the most replaceable member of our best 22 simply because O'Connor has shown he's a very solid option in that role.

Haha, great party analogy, and didn't they (Eddy) throw the toys from the cot. Although much was made of Reid's injury, Tarrant couldn't do much better. Sports psychology is so important to the modern game, coupled with the maturity and experience to shake it off. One of the reasons I'm enjoying the additions of Rohan and Dal is they're already poised, albeit with points to prove. You're right, finally the big boy might be fed, and hopefully they've been working on systems and strategies to enable that. Like everyone else. Bring it on.

Could we see someone kick 100 again?I reckon we see a 90,Riewolt Kennedy and Franklin all in the frame.

The way Richmond flooded the backline the other night,. jeez it was ugly. Looks like fast balls from centre bounce will have to do it against those trolls.

Everyone was saying that about O'Connor before the final and he was excellent. The defensive side of his game is outstanding and as long as he's in a role where he's mainly expected to defend he'll be absolutely fine.

It seems strange that you're a big fan of Bews while not appreciating that O'Connor late last year played almost the exact role as Bews and did it well. Bews is right now probably the most replaceable member of our best 22 simply because O'Connor has shown he's a very solid option in that role.
We don't see eye to eye on much,the elimination final I had Bews best on ground just shading Hawkins for us,as for O'Connor 3 quarters of looking out of place but finished strongly in the last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back