Stonis
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Zampa

Next four
Warner
Hazelwood/J Richardson/Behrendorff (Only one of these three)
Coulter-Nile
M.Marsh

I am picking a surprise in Mitch Marsh because I am not convinced Stonis will last the whole tournament and we need a back-up allrounder.
No way Warner won't be in the first 11. He's in terrific form.

Warner
Finch
Usman
Smith
Maxwell
Stoinis
Handscomb (wk)
Cummins
Starc
JRicho/Lyon/NCN/Hazlewood
Zampa

I don't like Handscomb as keeper but I think the selectors will want Smith and Warner back in and this is the only way I think you can do it.

Oh I see that was somewhat covered in the last page, so instead I'll say:

I'm sorry, has everyone suffered a collective memory wipe re: Mitch Marsh?

there's an interesting thing that sometimes happen with the ODI team where the fates of players are determined by their test performances. Warner, Smith and Hazlewood are all recent players whose ODI spots have become secured as a result of becoming established test players. Obviously Marsh has gone the other direction

That is one of the worst World Cup squads I have seen on this forum.

No Shaun Marsh, no Coulter-Nile, two wicketkeepers and a part-time wicketkeeper, no Lyon and three bowlers struggling for fitness.
It's pretty hard with smith and warner coming back to find a place for well performing batsmen. At the end of the day somebody has to go and for me Handscomb over Marsh, as he's better at rotating the strike and I think our team lacks that.

Coulter-Nile doesn't hold a candle to the other bowlers mentioned who are far superior if they are fit. I caveated this until we know for sure whos fit.
Carey's batting form isn't as good as Wade's and if he doesn't perform I think he's one player that could be swapped out of the side.

Don't need two spinners in England and Zampa is better when the heat is put on by the batsmen which is likely to happen in the world cup.

It's pretty hard with smith and warner coming back to find a place for well performing batsmen. At the end of the day somebody has to go and for me Handscomb over Marsh, as he's better at rotating the strike and I think our team lacks that.

Coulter-Nile doesn't hold a candle to the other bowlers mentioned who are far superior if they are fit. I caveated this until we know for sure whos fit.
Carey's batting form isn't as good as Wade's and if he doesn't perform I think he's one player that could be swapped out of the side.

Don't need two spinners in England and Zampa is better when the heat is put on by the batsmen which is likely to happen in the world cup.
For one Pattinson isn't that good of an ODI player. I don't even know where him going to the WC came from

I don't think he's really improving. His average has been hovering around 30 since he came in.

The alternatives are all worse and Hadndscomb keeping would leave me very nervous about the game.

For one Pattinson isn't that good of an ODI player. I don't even know where him going to the WC came from

I hope Cricket Australia looks after Pattinson and he gets through the Ashes above anything else. Continue to say but he could have been the best of our current fast bowlers if injury permitted.

He's scored one 50 in 19 games and has had plenty of opportunities.

To be fair, Carey is coming in quite late so from an inexperienced middle/lower order batsmen, he is doing ok. I had a problem with him opening and struggling. He almost looks the perfect $4, #5, #6 (where required to come in when scenario permits) to come in and noodle the pill around. He has shown that ability more than a Stoinis who eats up dot balls.

Oh I see that was somewhat covered in the last page, so instead I'll say:

there's an interesting thing that sometimes happen with the ODI team where the fates of players are determined by their test performances. Warner, Smith and Hazlewood are all recent players whose ODI spots have become secured as a result of becoming established test players. Obviously Marsh has gone the other direction

At one point or another, the ODI arena was where internationals got there start. Now, it feels the other way around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see Stoinis as a first XI player.

With Warner and Smith set to return, the order is reshuffled and Stoinis' ability with the ball is a little over rated let alone that with the bat.

Allow Maxwell to bowl more and he could do a similar (3 - 6 overs from a 6th bowling option) role to what Stoinis has done in the past 18 months.

To be fair, Carey is coming in quite late so from an inexperienced middle/lower order batsmen, he is doing ok. I had a problem with him opening and struggling. He almost looks the perfect $4, #5, #6 (where required to come in when scenario permits) to come in and noodle the pill around. He has shown that ability more than a Stoinis who eats up dot balls.
He had a crack at 5 and 6 before being put up t9 openener remember. He wasn't able to score a 50 in any of those positions.

I think there are plenty of better options at 4, 5, 6 and if he plays it's gotta be number 7 otherwise he's just pushing the quality down the order.

With Warner and Smith set to return, the order is reshuffled and Stoinis' ability with the ball is a little over rated let alone that with the bat.

Allow Maxwell to bowl more and he could do a similar (3 - 6 overs from a 6th bowling option) role to what Stoinis has done in the past 18 months.
Who is the other bowling option if Maxwell doesn't bowl ten though? Finch?

I just don't see "it" with Stoinis. Hits a long ball but isn't in our top 6 ODI batsmen, whilst his bowling leaves a lot to be desired imho.

Surely Mitch Marsh would be better? Yes he’s an awful test cricketer but as a ODI cricketer he’s top quality

I just don't see "it" with Stoinis. Hits a long ball but isn't in our top 6 ODI batsmen, whilst his bowling leaves a lot to be desired imho.
That's fair enough, his batting has dropped off.

I'm not sure I'd be that confident just going I with Maxwell as the 5th bowling option though so if Stoinis goes I think Marsh would come in.

I didn’t see Darren Lehmnann’s side but I heard he picked quite a few bits and pieces players instead of top order batsmen.

My main criticism of Lehmann is just that. He always got the balance wrong. He was far too concerned with scoring runs in the 40-50 overs then building the foundation to create a sound score in the beginning.

Australia was always a batsman short in his reign and I am glad he is not coaching the one day side anymore.

I was in very much in the camp of Stoinis should forgo the riches of the IPL to prepare for the World Cup at home, however, it might be just the catalyst to get his batting mojo back. His batting role in one dayers at 6 is to do similar to what Maxwell is doing. If there are a lot of overs to go, to build an innings, take it deep, launch at the end and end up with a strike round in and around a run a ball. If there aren't a lot of overs to go, to launch from pretty much ball one and have a strike rate over a run a ball. He is really struggling with his strike rate at the moment with either of those rolls. Playing some 20/20's will hopefully help that. So that if all going well, during the important games in the world cup, if the top and middle order do their job, Stoinis will be coming in with less than 10 overs to go and will be able to launch from ball one.

P.S. This is not related to his bowling positively or negatively, just a comment on his batting.

At this stage I don't care who comes in as long as Stoinis is out

Agreed. Stoinis is woeful. Not international standard anything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back