Review Dogs Completely Out Coached By Beveridge: Lose Badly To Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously the coach blames the mids. So if our mids are off a bit then our backs are stuffed ??? Get some proper backmen in there bevo. Way too reliant on our mids dominating. Even when they do they get no reward cause our fwd line is a shambles. Id hate to be a mid in our team

I'm usually Mr Positive, but I'm not even going to bother after watching that disappointing display.

I don't think bringing in Trengove or Lipinski will make a difference if we repeat today's lack of effort, intensity, competitiveness, accuracy, skill, etc etc.

Being interstate, I haven't had an opportunity to go to member's nights or the AGM or anything where supporters can interact with the coaches and team. At those functions, has anyone questioned selections or coaching movements or why our goal-kicking is so poor? It's one thing to bring it up on Big Footy, but has anyone made it to training and put any of these questions to Bevo? I'm genuinely curious. If I was down in Melbourne right now, I certainly would be asking questions directly to the club.

Heck, a Western Bulldog's Q&A night would work well right now.

I look forward to hearing next to no explanation from beveridge in his post match presser, then hear absolutely s**t all from the club bar the injury report.
Beveridge's press conference is a huge concern ... no, inaccuracy is not the only reason or nearly close to it

There's no feel whatsoever for what fans are feeling. None.

Yeah you're right Chicago, but the problem is we are losing faith right now. Our faith in our mastermind coach of the year has been dropping for 3 years and I reckon it's hit rock bottom. Losing to Carlton by 44 points is rock bottom. All respect to Carlton they played very well, but even on an off day our midfield should be smashing theirs. We cannot kick to the advantage of the forwards to save our lives and I'm sure we're all sitting here wondering why our goal kicking accuracy has gotten progressively worse since 2016, when it was only average then. Why haven't we brought in a Matthew Lloyd or a Dermott Brereton, even if they don't improve us much it's better than doing SFA which is what bevo has been doing.

Yes all respect to Carlton, they won the flag today....l think.They must have. I was in the medallion club and the way they carried on was ridiculous . Well done to the team but their supporters are crap. Enjoy the win blues fans but NEVER wish injury or misfortune on the opponent.If your club is ever fortunate enough to have people of the calibre of the bont in your club l hope you would defend him as well. The Karma bus is coming.

WEVE BEEN YOUNG SINCE 2011 FFS. I’m sick of hearing this, we’re in a non-stop rebuild, you think it would have stopped after we won the flag.
For a number of reasons, we have a gulf in players on the list recruited between 2006 and 2012.

You may not want to hear or believe it, but age and experience typically has a strong corelation to consistency and performance - many finals/premiership squads are built around a core group of hardened, consistent 24-30 year olds (2016 was an exception that proves the rule, to have so many youngsters perform at that level in a finals campaign was a borderline miracle).

With this cycle which is at least a year or two away from peaking, our elites are almost all 18-24 - there will be natural ups and downs and lack of consistency when many of the elites in the team have played between 1-6 seasons. We are super excited by English, Naughton, Williams, Daniel and Richards ceilings, but it's just natural that a player's development may not be linear, and in certain games where they put in a shocker, look like it's going backwards. When some of our leaders, who also barely have 100 games to their names, also put in the odd really poor game, then you get what we saw today.

However whether we should have brought in 2 first gamers (who were NOT knocking the door down) into an already inexperienced and somewhat unbalanced squad is something I'd very much agree with you on.

I have just read all the posts in this thread and can understand supporters being disappointed. However, there are a few posters who need to have as good look at themselves for posting some woeful comments on here about club and personnel.

And the ones who have stated the coach is arrogant .... maybe you should investigate the meaning of this word. Are you saying the coach is arrogant because he doesnt respond to direction from Big Footy forum posters? Give me a break ..... he is the head coach for god sake. He may be making strange decisions that some of us dont agree with, but arrogant is simply not an appropriate analogy, unless he is making decisions without heeding the input from the match committee or his assistant coaches.

So yep, you may be peed off .... but how about using some tolerance before teeing off at the very people that make our club what it is.

I don't think it's for lack of footballing talent, or the fact that Beveridge can't coach. More that there hasn't been the level of administrative competence at the club over the last few years that has allowed this poor play to fester - poor procedures and hierarchy in list management, allowing Bevo too much power in selection, list management and probably not enough criticism from his own assistants, lack of turnover in the footy department. We lost a recruiting manager and list manager because of differences with Beveridge and brought someone in with a contract/legal/negotiating, not an analysis/scouting background to replace them, giving Beveridge more power in "footballing" decisions.

Beveridge was great as an inspirational leader bringing us out of the depths of the 2014 off-season, and as a tactical coach when he was still inexperienced in the league. But for the last few years he's almost too willing to prove that he can do things "smart" and "progressive" with his footy, rather than eating your ego, knuckling down and winning games of footy.

Beveridge's press conference is a huge concern ... no, inaccuracy is not the only reason or nearly close to it

Yep. Even if it was, what are you going to do about it Luke? It’s not the first - or even the twentieth - when our set shot/goal kicking has been atrocious, yet nothing really seems to change.

Hiding behind inaccuracy is at best disingenuous, that was not a good day at the office for anyone.

How far in front of Bont is Cripps now?

The guy is an absolute beast and Bontempelli goal kicking is deplorable from a so called “elite” footballer.

I know honestly think Bont is 50/50 to stay after his next contract.

Do you honestly think Cripps was more impressive than Bont today? I was waiting for him to do something every time he got the ball. Guess what he did? Handballed backwards. 13 disposals at qtr time, 95 meters gained. Not a bad start, pretty good at the clearances. Had 1 more kick for the ENTIRE GAME. By the end of the game he had 83 meters gained. Yes you read that right! 24 disposals after qtr time for a combined -12 meters gained.

Mate saying Cripps is ahead of Bont after that game? I was thinking about what Bont and Cripps was going to do today to excite the footy world, instead one played ok, below his best and missing goals again, the other got the ball 37 times and did nothing that excited me.

Btw I'm a massive fan of Cripps, but today was not a showcase of his star power in terms of breaking the game open. He's done it plenty, today he just played his role because his team was winning and it was kinda disappointing.

Bont gaps him if he starts kicking half these behinds as goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you honestly think Cripps was more impressive than Bont today? I was waiting for him to do something every time he got the ball. Guess what he did? Handballed backwards. 13 disposals at qtr time, 95 meters gained. Not a bad start, pretty good at the clearances. Had 1 more kick for the ENTIRE GAME. By the end of the game he had 83 meters gained. Yes you read that right! 24 disposals after qtr time for a combined -12 meters gained.

Mate saying Cripps is ahead of Bont after that game? I was thinking about what Bont and Cripps was going to do today to excite the footy world, instead one played ok, below his best and missing goals again, the other got the ball 37 times and did nothing that excited me.

Btw I'm a massive fan of Cripps, but today was not a showcase of his star power in terms of breaking the game open. He's done it plenty, today he just played his role because his team was winning and it was kinda disappointing.

Bont gaps him if he starts kicking half these behinds as goals.

Wasn’t speaking about that game in isolation mate

Bont makes fat too many errors compared to Cripps at the moment and Bont has far better mids around him.

Cripps is a far superior player at the moment imo

Something extremely strange is going on at selection and with one or two posted alluding to punishment being a factor it makes a bit of sense.

I noticed Bevo quite pointedly referred to Trengove having been dropped pre season (as opposed to not being selected for round one) in a recent presser and it seems as though for some reason he and Lipinski are being made to seriously work for it.

It’s all a bit odd. I’m a Bevo fan but I do worry about his tendency to basically make a call on a player and not budge from it.

Yes all respect to Carlton, they won the flag today....l think.They must have. I was in the medallion club and the way they carried on was ridiculous . Well done to the team but their supporters are crap. Enjoy the win blues fans but NEVER wish injury or misfortune on the opponent.If your club is ever fortunate enough to have people of the calibre of the bont in your club l hope you would defend him as well. The Karma bus is coming.

Mate they're a tragic club lets be honest, a win means a lot to them for their belief. They really needed to win today and they did well done to them. Kicked 100 points too I was so proud of the poor buggers.

I don't know any Carlton fans, but I remember hearing one talk on the phone the way out from etihad in 2011, we had just smashed them, I remember the game well for a classic bit of dogs play with Griff, Higgins and Cooney finishing it off. The Carlton supporter was shocked that they lost so badly, and I just think about their journey over the past 8 years, and I feel sorry for their fans. You could tell back in 2011 they thought they were going places, but nope. They became a wooden spoon side getting spanked every week for a decade. It was good to see them have a nice win, just hate that it was against us because now, like essendon last year, we're the club that let Carlton win a game.

Bont makes fat too many errors compared to Cripps at the moment and Bont has far better mids around him.

Far superior is a real stretch. Putting Cripps ahead right now is an acceptable opinion, but lets not act like Cripps is at those 2016 heights yet. Bont is well below his goal kicking best, and they're as close to even as it gets right now. Probably both top 10 mids in the comp.

Take out the far in each statement and it gets closer to been realistic.

In Bonts defence I will say he does go for more difficult options than Cripps.

Bonts fall in shot for goal is huge concern gone backwards

Far superior is a real stretch. Putting Cripps ahead right now is an acceptable opinion, but lets not act like Cripps is at those 2016 heights yet. Bont is well below his goal kicking best, and they're as close to even as it gets right now. Probably both top 10 mids in the comp.

Bonts goal kicking at present probably keeps him out of the top 10. It’s not bad it’s awful at the moment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back