Review Dees v Weagles - the Good, the Bad and the ugly with a cameo appearance from WCE Icon Ben Cousins.

Remove this Banner Ad

sadly, easily the best performance of the year ends in a loss, few thoughts:

- Gawn was unbelievable.
- Oliver & Harmes starting to trend to last years form
- Jones did some shithouse turnovers, but thought he was ok overall
- Viney starting to move like he's not a 99 year old man, but I fear will always be the same one dimensional player.
- Lockhart & Hore probably the only real highlights of our season.
- Hunt looked lively, don't feel like this should be his role long term but he's contributing.
- Petracca & Garlett both had really mixed bags tonight. Pull your hair out s**t.
- Tmac showing a glimpse of form- ruined his own night with his goalkicking.

- We dominated the game for 3 quarters and should have been at least 6 goals up at 3/4 time- Our goal kicking was atrocious. We only have ourselves to blame for this one, no point blaming the umpires.

- Vardy ******* rubbing Gawns hair after Ryan took that hanger on him. Gawny turned that campaigner inside out like a flesh light, and Vardys strutting around like a peacock. The pricks lucky to be on an AFL list, once Nic Nats back he'll be stacking shelves at Coles. Go and get ****ed.

Can we put the two ruckmen thing to bed? You don't need two ruckmen on the ground, and half the time its debatable whether having one is that effective. Much rather have the extra runner in the 22 than a slow, limited plodder... although many of our runners could be classified as slow, limited plodders.

Filthy because I think we blew it, so many missed chances.

Overall though probably the best we have played this year.

Learned a bit about a few players I think:
  • Stretch not up to it - doesn't offer run and kicking is suspect. Had a bit of the ball but doesn't do enough
  • Baker tried but looked well behind the speed of AFL
  • TMac looked a bit better, but finishing wasn't there
  • Petracca is still a tease, too many mistakes to mark him highly but continues to show flashes of brilliance
  • Hore and Hunt are genuine positives we can take out of this season so far
  • Kicking inside 50 was poor again, but still created enough scoring chances to bury them

I agree with schmuttt, Petracca was a liability and has been all season, he needs to be dropped.

Good: played our brand. McDonald, Gawn, Salem, Jones, Hore (Lever mach 2)
Bad: Petracca, Gartlett, Frost, Viney, Bray shaw, bandwagon channel 7 commentators
Ugly: umpiring in last quarter, our kicking for goal, delivery into forward 50 (AGAIN! Is our team full of idiots who don't listen or is it the coaches?)
Cannot wait until the two are playing together!

What do you mean 'anymore'? We had a huge year last year and came back looking like locks for the Spoon a month ago. This is what improving looks like.
more venting my frustration at the prospect of another year without finals.

We were much improved tonight though, just not our year I guess, hope we can get back to full strength and cause some upsets late in the season.

Can we put the two ruckmen thing to bed? You don't need two ruckmen on the ground, and half the time its debatable whether having one is that effective. Much rather have the extra runner in the 22 than a slow, limited plodder... although many of our runners could be classified as slow, limited plodders.
Preuss has been one of our better forward targets this year

Maybe this doesn't hurt the players, as much as we want to believe what they're selling us. As much as we want to think it would hurt?!

Heard Mick Malthouse (one of the few older ex coaches i could listen to Ad nauseam) saying "After WC kicked the 2 goals in quick succession in the 4th we were resigned to the fact that we couldn't win the game., Winning is a habit, just as losing as a habit. Melbourne probably haven't won a friday night insterate game in a long time" To quote exactly

(Just my own input here, what mick said may very well be valid , despite the fact Mick that we lead coming into every break, and lead in the inside 50 count and Hitout count. WC won the clearances but we had the I50s)

Im not surprised ( i tipped wc, thought they may very well get the job done over there, but be more than happy if we snag a victory out west)
Im not salty or upset, but i do genuinely belive had we had a Full streght side from Back to front we would of won it.
Add Pig, Melk, May, Lever, Hannan (God cant wait for hannan to creat something up forward) AVB, you know our injury report. I feel like the cattle we had out tonight isnt a true reflection of were where at as a club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you'll find he's about to turn into a very solid forward. Especially if the midfield continues to play how it did tonight and take chances to move to ball on quickly
But Petrecca. sball drop is abhorrent! His conversion isnt much better either

Last edited:
Though I'm am disappointed, in seasons like this I've started to not let it bother me as much. Our season was pretty much shot and even if we did recover we would probably just scape into finals and not do any damage. A few years ago this would be shattering to me like 2016, but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter. What waa disappointing was when the game was on the line we went into our shells and bombed it into our forward 50 and McGovern was loving life. I also wonder if the travelling twice and 6 day break was a factor. Anyway this isn't our year too many injuries and such a bad preparation. Keep trying dees.

Travel being a factor? Respectfully disagree with you on that
We lead at every break, had a lead of what 18 points leading into the final Q. Only we could capitulate that bad, at that time of the game.
I did pick WC, didnt expect us to play as well as we did for the first 3 and bit quarters. Game was lost for us in front of the sticks, petrecca missing a gimme in the first quarter with an oppurtunty to the second goal of the game and Strech missing an absolute soda in the 4th, that would of bought us back to a Kick down. Instead he missed what looked like a 40m drop punt with little pressure and an open paddock in front, for WC to take it down the other end and score a goal

sadly, easily the best performance of the year ends in a loss, few thoughts:

- Gawn was unbelievable.
- Oliver & Harmes starting to trend to last years form
- Jones did some shithouse turnovers, but thought he was ok overall
- Viney starting to move like he's not a 99 year old man, but I fear will always be the same one dimensional player.
- Lockhart & Hore probably the only real highlights of our season.
- Hunt looked lively, don't feel like this should be his role long term but he's contributing.
- Petracca & Garlett both had really mixed bags tonight. Pull your hair out ****.
- Tmac showing a glimpse of form- ruined his own night with his goalkicking.

- We dominated the game for 3 quarters and should have been at least 6 goals up at 3/4 time- Our goal kicking was atrocious. We only have ourselves to blame for this one, no point blaming the umpires.

- Vardy ******* rubbing Gawns hair after Ryan took that hanger on him. Gawny turned that campaigner inside out like a flesh light, and Vardys strutting around like a peacock. The pricks lucky to be on an AFL list, once Nic Nats back he'll be stacking shelves at Coles. Go and get ******.
Im not sure why im s**t canning the Co Skip, but valid point. I dont see any other positive from his game other than his perceived toughness and being a tank.
His disposal could be cleaned up a bit.

Smith doesn’t imagine a whistle and snaps the goal we win. Perhaps....

Still reckon some of the most parochial umpiring you'd ever see contributed to that defeat. Palpable free against the Eagle as Smith's noggin was pummelled into the turf and both arms were pinned...if the umpire couldn't see he had stopped play and was defenceless in the tackle he should be doing WAFL games for a while. Some seriously arsey Eagle flips and tap-ons in passages of play where the Dees would swarm the Eagles players, putting them under fierce pressure but their hoicks and in some cases blatant throws were not called, especially the one in the forward line that saw an Eagle snap late in the game.

Then they go ahead and have an out of zone umpire call a Dee's throw from the bleachers moments later on the wing! It reminded me of the Geelong/Eagles game last year, Cats got a lead by about 3 goals late in the 3rd but overwhelmed in the end by an Eagle fast finish with a crucial call of a deliberate when 6-stone weakling Zac Guthrie was tossed out of bounds by a tackle and was called deliberate as he'd rolled over the line with the momentum! Similar to that match, and with the Dees missing a couple of players by the end, it was a 3 goal margin favouring the home side.

If it's possible to take heart, that sort of footy will win many more games than it loses. Sadly the horrid miss by Petracca and if one or two chances were taken late in the 3rd it may have made the margin a bridge too far. Few teams are like the Eagles at home when coming home with a wet sail with 25 contributing men on the ground in a last quarter finish.

And lastly, i fell over hearing that four of the last five games have been played in Perth, a final notwithstanding, but the only Dees game was one in Alice Springs or something? Get the Eagles on the 'G it might be a different story. They are a side as shown this year who can turn their toes up when things don't go their way if away from the comfy confines of Optus stadium. And i reckon there'll be a game where Petracca will come out and kick 8, he just needs to believe and realise he CAN do it. He's built kind of like a package similar to Gary Sr, but producing like maybe Jake Stringer.

Pardon to intrude.
Brilliant performance by Gawn.
It's why we watch footy.
Would like to see more of Lockhart, took a spectacular mark a while back.
Criminal umpiring decisions cost momentum in strategic passages of play.
The Jetta pin tackle on Smith is illegal but is deemed holding the ball, a two goal turnaround.

Sorry for the intrusion- but just wanted to say that I thought you guys were terrific tonight. Had it not been for a few set shots you’d normally nail the result would have been much different I think. Really had us on the ropes.

It’s that sort of effort & intent that I’ve been really waiting for from the dees all year. I have always considered you guys my 2nd team; when you guys are up for the contest I like the brand of footy you play. You’re quick & hard at it.

All the best for the rest of the year. Hope your concussed guys are ok.

This game was great and shows a few things
- The advantage of having a real home ground, not many have it (Geelong, West Coast, Adelaides)
- The stupidity of playing unfit players - a fit team of motivated people is the best bet every time
- we are starting to get our game fixed, expect for inside 50 approach
- given the above, it shows how our coaching and selection team pissed away the whole season with lazy coaching and stupid selection (unfit players, not necessarily the wrong type of player) in the first 4 games - especially the game against port and Essendon which were winnable

This season is over not because of injuries, but because of Hubris. With a little intelligence we would be 4-5 or 5-5 even with this loss

Audi 5000

Didn’t help getting bent over on that first goal of the last quarter. That gave the eagles the momentum they needed. If it’s a point and we score from the kick in it’s very likely we win the game in my opinion.

Minus the result, that is the most the Dees have entertained me all year. We keep playing like that and who knows. If we can win two of the next three before the bye (would've thought that impossible before last night) we'll put ourselves in a solid position to make a last ditch effort at finals with a number of players returning in the second half of the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back