Political Discussion part #2 - Let’s go out for 10 Big Macs at the Engadine Maccas!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The LGBTIQ community (and agencies that work in that community) would be beg to differ.

This is purely anecdotal so take it as you will, but I have not met (or known of in a someone-who-knows-someone sense) anyone in the LGBTIQ community who has positive things to say about the process of the plebiscite - and most found it to be a difficult time aside from the actual result.

There was no damage. Proven furphy. Was a brilliant process that Australia should be proud of.

I dunno

Reckon it just gave a platform for all the backward homophobic nut jobs to promote their intolerant views

Think it’s a nice idea, but it allowed people to campaign the most ridiculous views

We didn’t have a referendum on black rights, women, disability etc

Sometimes the government just has to do what’s right.

At least it’s done now, and we can all move on

I would move on from Bill’s shonky tax political campaign. He thought he was exposing rorts but he was going against tax legislation that his own predecessors put in place. It was a big stretch considering he had no treasury background and had no idea what he was talking about.

Practically speaking federal treasury work hard advising governments on concerns and loopholes exists and where further tweaks can happen to generate more tax revenue. Loopholes are being blocked up on an annual basis, more so now than ever. Tax enforcement is also increasing as technology improves.

There was a public study done on full tax reform (the Henry review), it was rejected by the labour government at the time.

Government organisations are rife with inefficiencies and overpaid staff. We’d be better off as a nation fixing those costs before asking the population to hand over more of there income.
Oops, i shouldve been more careful with the term loopholes. I was more meaning tax reduction facilities or options or . All perfectly legal. Via that, the wealthiest pay lots less tax.

I dunno

Reckon it just gave a platform for all the backward homophobic nut jobs to promote their intolerant views

Think it’s a nice idea, but it allowed people to campaign the most ridiculous views

We didn’t have a referendum on black rights, women, disability etc

Sometimes the government just has to do what’s right.

At least it’s done now, and we can all move on
One of your best posts!

There was no damage. Proven furphy. Was a brilliant process that Australia should be proud of.
Thankfully the moderates were in charge when it happened so it ended up being a relatively positive campaign from the government's perspective.

I suspect if Abbott was still running the show it would have been a completely different scenario.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oops, i shouldve been more careful with the term loopholes. I was more meaning tax reduction facilities or options or . All perfectly legal. Via that, the wealthiest pay lots less tax.

My point was there are no more tax reduction facilities or the likes. It’s 2019, ATO/Treasury/Govt work hard to make sure of that - they need their money and have covered all angles! Even super balances are effectively capped at $1.6million now.

If the wealthy aren’t paying much tax it would be contributed to offshoring to tax havens or potential tax evasion, this had nothing to do with what Bill Shorten was proposing. He was going after joe average low to middle class worker and business owners and look how that worked out for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thankfully the moderates were in charge when it happened so it ended up being a relatively positive campaign from the government's perspective.

I suspect if Abbott was still running the show it would have been a completely different scenario.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I’d like to see you say that to my many gay friends who were brought to tears at various times over that period. If THAT was a positive campaign I’ll eat my hat. THAT was horrendous. The only thing I agree with is that it would have been worse under Abbott.

So let’s try and understand :-

The sole reason in 2013 the ALP was given the boot was due to the leadership instability. That’s what was said then by everyone, media, voters etc. The economy was ticking along quite well following the GFC 5 years earlier and a number of reforms (NDIS) had been introduced.

We now move forward to 2019, the last 4 years we have seen more leadership instability, the economy is actually worse than 2013 and on current statistics is headed for a recession, the debt has doubled and we have seen bugger all reforms and yet the voting in its infinite wisdom says, yep you can have another go.

Well all I have to say is (and yes this is cruel) but stuff it I’m going to act like the majority of individuals seem to be (greedy and only care about what is in it for themselves) in this country and I say bring on a recession. Unfortunately all the current trends suggest it will now be inevitable given the government has been returned.

Perhaps then we shall see what the response will be.

Oh I get that, it was more tongue in cheek vis a vis the comment about electricity prices.

But as for the banks - you know, your average conservative mum & dad investor, super funds and the like. No big deal and not a bad thing.

Actually the share prices for the banks are back to where they were in March this year. Not big difference actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back