Most Boring VFL/AFL Player Encounters/Sightings.

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw Malcom Blight walking out of a David Jones with his Mrs.

Michael Doughty's Mrs is friends with my Aunty. One day while at my grandparents Michael and his mrs picked something up from my aunt. They didn't come inside, they just chatted in the doorway for a minute and left. Bonus fun/boring fact: His not-so-well-known nickname is Dogger.

Once I seen Tim Watson and Peter Mitchell walking and talking near Rod Laver arena about 4 years ago. I was about 100 metres away at the time but I could still see them from a distance. They look liked they were good friends and laughing about something.

Was once surfing a spot on my own when Dermott Brereton paddled out. Tried my best to run him down. Failed.

Used to work the bar at Anglers Tavern with Matt and Luke when the Darcy family ran it. Pretty sure they used to host the Adelaide teams there for post-match dinner as well.

Used to work the bar at Anglers Tavern with Matt and Luke when the Darcy family ran it.
I once saw Dean Rioli ripping up the dance floor there while drinking beer straight out of a jug. Possibly immediately after he retired. It was the same night that Fevola won the Michael Tuck Medal.

Let me regale you with footy players I have seen at concerts recently.

Luke Shuey and Rory Lobb at Gang of Youths. Surrey was wearing a Billabong cap down low at night time. They were seen separately. I think I saw Brennan Cox there too. Maybe.

Few years back but it was Redden, I think Hams, and then a couple others at Springsteen. We were sitting in the pleb seats about ten rows back from the top of the arena. These guys were further back than us.

Bunch of Dockers at Luca Brasi like Pearce, Tabs, Conca and a few more. The was some kerfuffle with them being held up at the ticket booth. Not sure what happened but they ended up getting in.

Alex Pearce again at Maggie Rogers last week. He bumped in to my 5'10 friend and ****in towered
over him

Eric Mackenzie at Julien Baker. Nothing interesting here. Was a good show though.
Speaking of footy players at concerts I met Richo back stage after a Beasts of Bourbon show and saw Bob Murphy at a Justin Townes Earle show.

Also Dermie at The Prodigy at a music festival.

Dipper and Nathan Thompson at the Community Cup - both were ambassadors for Boags.

Last edited:
I once walked past Rhett Biglands in Rundle Mall, and thought to myself "he is very large in person".

I've since recounted this several times during conversations about how AFL players are bigger than they appear on TV.
Nice little anecdote- it's got legs that one.

i am at this very moment DJing in a restaurant/bar and jack fitzpatrick is over there eating fried chicken. he looks as much a dufus in real life as he did as a football player

edit: he’s with a table of 5 rather unattractive ladies. bit tougher when you’re not a football player isn’t it buddy?
Aspley play tomorrow at 1:30pm
Great preparation Jack.

I saw Stephen Kernahan outside a McDonalds once. It took me a second to click, as being on the Gold Coast you don't expect to see a former footballer from Vic.

Drove next to Peter Wright for a few hundred metres. He was in a beat up old Commodore, because of course he was.

Saw Gary Ablett Jnr in a café. He was eying off the cakes, and I mean really eyeing them off. It looked like he was having an internal struggle as to whether or not to have one. He ended up not having one.

Angel cake?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i am at this very moment DJing in a restaurant/bar and jack fitzpatrick is over there eating fried chicken. he looks as much a dufus in real life as he did as a football player

edit: he’s with a table of 5 rather unattractive ladies. bit tougher when you’re not a football player isn’t it buddy?

Five unattractive ladies in the hand is worth two in the bush.

At least, that's how I understand it.

I once walked past Rhett Biglands in Rundle Mall, and thought to myself "he is very large in person".

I've since recounted this several times during conversations about how AFL players are bigger than they appear on TV.

Bigs used to train with my footy team in the States. Can confirm he is a large human being.

Bumped into Jarrod Garlett a couple of weeks ago at the base of a ramp at a Blues game (obviously wasn't playing). He looked a lot larger than I'd have thought.

Walked past Adam Treloar at the supermarket the other week. He was both hatless and larger than I would have thought. I'm a shade under 6'4 and he wasn't much shorter than me. He was there with what I assume was a friend (who was also hatless) who was a very large islander. Had to be around 6'7 and well over 120kgs.

Speaking of footy players at concerts I met Richo back stage after a Beasts of Bourbon show and saw Bob Murphy at a Justin Townes Earle show.

Also Dermie at The Prodigy at a music festival.

Dipper and Nathan Thompson at the Community Cup - both were ambassadors for Boags.

Dipper at AC/DC and Dermie at Radio Birdman are two that I've seen at gigs.

Another concert sighting
Was at a Powderfinger show (at the Thebby) years ago and turned around to see Brett Burton standing behind us.
My mate said You're Greg Burton aren't you?
He said Yes.
We've referred to him as Greg ever since.
The Stop Sign

The Stop Sign

Great song.

hqdefault.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back