Review Dees v Perf Eagles: the Good, Bad & Fugly and Up the Clacker in the Heart of Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

$$$ and years can be the only reason.
Yep. Was a win-win at the time - we took the punt on having a good back up ruck in case Gawn went down for a final we were banking on making, and Preuss got the money we weren't spending on anyone else anyway. Less of a win-win in hindsight given the stakes for Gawn going down this season are pretty low, but still looks a decent decision for Preuss.

Yep. Was a win-win at the time - we took the punt on having a good back up ruck in case Gawn went down for a final we were banking on making, and Preuss got the money we weren't spending on anyone else anyway. Less of a win-win in hindsight given the stakes for Gawn going down this season are pretty low, but still looks a decent decision for Preuss.
Yeah we need him if Gawn goes down. But as mentioned he’s pretty useless as a forward / second ruck. He’s a definite Kingsley candidate for another board 1 day.

I guess it depends on whether Preuss values $$$s or the opportunity to be more than just a back-up. Makes sense from an MFC point of view for sure.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I guess it depends on whether Preuss values $$$s or the opportunity to be more than just a back-up. Makes sense from an MFC point of view for sure.

Carlton - Kreuzer
Collingwood - Grundy
Essendon - Bellchambers/Clarke
Geelong - Stanley
Hawthorn - McEvoy
Melbourne - Gawn
North - Goldstein
Richmond - Maric/Soldo
St Kilda - Longer and now Marshall
Western Bulldogs - English

If he wanted a decent shot at being number one he should have gone to Carlton, Essendon, Geelong or Hawthorn. End of last year you can see why we would have been more appealing.

Good -
Bailey Fritsch forward.
Salem and Oliver were good.
Lewis exploiting McGovern. Perfect role for Melksham when fit.
If Jake Lever gets a good run at it he will be very very handy. Good signs today. A few times he and May spoilt each other so the more they play together the better we’ll be.
Brayshaws job on Yeo for 3 quarters. Played with more intent and tackling pressure was back. Shouldn’t need a tagging role to bring that to his game.
There aren’t any great teams right now. If* we draft and trade well and if* we fix our game plan there’s no reason we couldn’t win a flag as early as next year.

Bad -
Lost another game we should’ve won.

Like this. Not hiding from the fact this year has been a debacle from start to finish, but there is a silver lining for next year. The main one being that it seems like teams can bounce back quickly after a bad year (and plummet after a good year as we know). The comp is so even - that should be comforting for 2020. The way they do the draw is a bit of a joke but it will work right in our favour next year. Play Gold Coast and Carlton twice next year? Yes please. A full, Missonless pre season as well...I'm already excited for R1 2020 haha.

Dead 17th and the only team lower than us is Gold Coast. Possibly the most disastrous season ever witnessed
Come on mate. Some context...

I, and everyone else hate this season. After having our wangs out ready to be blown by everyone else as we passed by to the euphoriasim of a premiership, we've not only been overtaken by those with a larger hose, we've seen our own dong shrink down and our best feature (girth/depth) shown up as inadequate.

We have been in the games against essendon, port, West coast x2, Adelaide, western bulldogs, Brisbane (sans Eric hipwood) and I'll argue the collingwood game until McDonald and weideman missed sodas in the last. The way we are losing is consistent, but it's consistently in game- as opposed to pregame.

Which brings me to your post- most disastrous season witnessed. Come on. I can name 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014 and the end of 2017 just from Melbourne. Want to include other teams now?

I get it, we are all absolutely broken by this season. But context.

Carlton - Kreuzer
Collingwood - Grundy
Essendon - Bellchambers/Clarke
Geelong - Stanley
Hawthorn - McEvoy
Melbourne - Gawn
North - Goldstein
Richmond - Maric/Soldo
St Kilda - Longer and now Marshall
Western Bulldogs - English

If he wanted a decent shot at being number one he should have gone to Carlton, Essendon, Geelong or Hawthorn. End of last year you can see why we would have been more appealing.

That’s true but I still find it crazy he admitted he was frustrated at North playing second fiddle to Goldstein and so decided to ask for a trade to a club with an even more dominant, and younger ruckman.

Great for us to have a strong No.2 ruck but awful for his career if he has aspirations to ever be a long term No.1.

At least his bank balance is healthy 🤷‍♂️

I, and everyone else hate this season. After having our wangs out ready to be blown by everyone else as we passed by to the euphoriasim of a premiership, we've not only been overtaken by those with a larger hose, we've seen our own dong shrink down and our best feature (girth/depth) shown up as inadequate.

We have been in the games against essendon, port, West coast x2, Adelaide, western bulldogs, Brisbane (sans Eric hipwood) and I'll argue the collingwood game until McDonald and weideman missed sodas in the last. The way we are losing is consistent, but it's consistently in game- as opposed to pregame.

Which brings me to your post- most disastrous season witnessed. Come on. I can name 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014 and the end of 2017 just from Melbourne. Want to include other teams now?

Nine inches? I can give you 3 inches 3 times.

Goodwin: "I'm sick of losing"

Also Goodwin: "To be a really good team, and that's what we're aspiring to be, and that's what we're really confident of becoming, we need to change that. We need to become better at that."

You don't get to come 17th and say you think we'll be a "really good team" again, bloody prove it. St Kilda under Richo level delusion.

Good- small glimpse into the potential of the Lever May backline. Very good.

Oliver is showing some form

Fristch as a forward... Who would have thought that move would work

Petty has nice hands. Has looked better inside 50 than weid.

Wagner and ANB got going, not incredible but they added some running power for sure.

Petracca a little more confident of late to use his size

Ugly - pretty much the same every week. Eagles smalls grab 5 or so chances from nothing. We get none

Well you're right and I'm obviously over doing it
But in 2012, 2013 and 2014 nobody was really expecting that much. Whilst this season is technically better , I really am hating it a lot more than those. I wasn't thinking this year was gonna be top 4 or bust or anything but we're nowhere near it, we're not even a mid table team, we're dead second last let that sink in.. It's been the most Melbourne season ever

Fritch up forward is something this board has been screaming it for all year, natural forward, great hands and a great kick off the ball.

May and lever starting to look good playing together down back.

Petracca is so strong, starting to really use his bulk around the packs to bust out, hopefully he can keep up this form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, i think we are playing at 30% capacity, Carlton are playing close to the best footy they can at the moment. So to say those sides have leapfrogged is a bit of an over reaction.

I had to watch from a family thing in Hobart with the sound right down. Not hearing the commentary strangely improved my outlook
The grandstand at Traeger Park is called the McAdam/Bowden Stand, and the tree over on the hill is the Tree of Knowledge ... and thats all you missed from the commentary.

Worst thing is we gave a decent effort against WC in Perth earlier this season, and since then we’ve put in some genuine stickers, so it’s not like yesterday’s effort was a sign of improvement, we’d lose that last 1/4 10 times out of 10.

Goodwin will be under serious pressure next season, finishing bottom 2, he’s backed himself into a corner to really needing a top 4 finish.

Lead at 3/4 time in both eagles games this year

Melb: 2.5.17 WC: 10.4.64 in the final terms.

Almost identical games

We coughed up 4 goals inside 20metres in the first quarter, including two gimmes in the goal square. Josh Kennedy snaps one from his left from the boundary after Lewis missed x 2 chances and Petty a sitter.

That's where we lost the game. The eagles full credit took their chances.

I posted this in the **** darwin thread, but i'm posting it here too

Despite the money, * the NT. I watched on the TV yesterday and watched as our club bowed down to probs AFL demands to play a team that has better representation in the area, even with the last 6 years it amounts to not much support. For starters at our home game, i'd like for the eagles not to wear their indigenous Guernsey. You want a pick of jumper? Then ******* play your own home games up there! It's like when Port demanded Gold Coast not wear their home jumper in their home game in china, or when collingwood demanded norf where their away jumper at norfs home game years ago, i don't give a toss if they're still wearing white shorts, they can wear white shorts with their standard away jumper. Club needs to grow some balls and say, our home game our rules, but as follows you can see we just constantly bent over all day, on and off the ground

Auzzie the Eagle paraded around at our home game, i don't give a flying * if the damn bird was born in the NT, the fact that the thing is paraded at Eagles home games in WA and has been flown in to be shown of at a Melbourne home game is just ******* insulting to us, another example of the club just bending over. Then watching the coin toss, my god the coin toss. Now i'm not raggin on the guy, but please Melbourne don't choose someone decked out in Eagles attire with his kid to toss the coin at a home game, some passionate fan from the suburbs back home missed out on tossing the coin at the MCG because of you, at least when you play a home game somewhere else pick someone who at least ******* follows the team to toss the coin, Even that aus Kick kid they found on Friday could have been given a go. And while the crowd was maybe just in our favour nothing turns my stomach more than listening to the Eagles nuffie yelling "cmon eagles" by the effects mic, that moron alone at a small ground almost balances crowd support back in WCE's favour

I posted this in the **** darwin thread, but i'm posting it here too

Despite the money, fu** the NT. I watched on the TV yesterday and watched as our club bowed down to probs AFL demands to play a team that has better representation in the area, even with the last 6 years it amounts to not much support. For starters at our home game, i'd like for the eagles not to wear their indigenous Guernsey. You want a pick of jumper? Then ******* play your own home games up there! It's like when Port demanded Gold Coast not wear their home jumper in their home game in china, or when collingwood demanded norf where their away jumper at norfs home game years ago, i don't give a toss if they're still wearing white shorts, they can wear white shorts with their standard away jumper. Club needs to grow some balls and say, our home game our rules, but as follows you can see we just constantly bent over all day, on and off the ground

Auzzie the Eagle paraded around at our home game, i don't give a flying fu** if the damn bird was born in the NT, the fact that the thing is paraded at Eagles home games in WA and has been flown in to be shown of at a Melbourne home game is just ******* insulting to us, another example of the club just bending over. Then watching the coin toss, my god the coin toss. Now i'm not raggin on the guy, but please Melbourne don't choose someone decked out in Eagles attire with his kid to toss the coin at a home game, some passionate fan from the suburbs back home missed out on tossing the coin at the MCG because of you, at least when you play a home game somewhere else pick someone who at least ******* follows the team to toss the coin, Even that aus Kick kid they found on Friday could have been given a go. And while the crowd was maybe just in our favour nothing turns my stomach more than listening to the Eagles nuffie yelling "cmon eagles" by the effects mic, that moron alone at a small ground almost balances crowd support back in WCE's favour

Once again this is all completely irrelevant to the outcome of the game.

How many chances do you think that kid would have to toss the coin, some bloke in the suburbs can go to as many MCG games as he wants, other clubs included.

The AFL select the crows and eagles as it maximises the chances of the biggest crowd possible, that is all they care about crowd numbers.

Once again this is all completely irrelevant to the outcome of the game.

How many chances do you think that kid would have to toss the coin, some bloke in the suburbs can go to as many MCG games as he wants, other clubs included.

The AFL select the crows and eagles as it maximises the chances of the biggest crowd possible, that is all they care about crowd numbers.
You're saying there wouldn't gave been 7000 there yesterday if it was Melbourne vs gws or the suns?

Never been to Alice, but there can't be that much to do that would stop 7000 odd locals turning up to their 1 afl game a year...

You're saying there wouldn't gave been 7000 there yesterday if it was Melbourne vs gws or the suns?

Never been to Alice, but there can't be that much to do that would stop 7000 odd locals turning up to their 1 afl game a year...
7000 is more than 1/4 of the population. Having a team play that has support would ensure that people from further away make it as well.

I think its pretty delusional to think that playing it in Alice was the difference. We probably would have lost by more at the MCG.

7000 is more than 1/4 of the population. Having a team play that has support would ensure that people from further away make it as well.

I think its pretty delusional to think that playing it in Alice was the difference. We probably would have lost by more at the MCG.
I disagree. You could play the suns vs freo there who both (I'd suspect) have low followings. And you'd still get the best part of 7000 there.

It's irrelevant anyway, if the game was at the G this week, there'd have been 25k tops. Melbourne supporters have had enough of turning up to watch the slop dished up in 2019. However the poster saying Adelaide and west coast are selected for maximum attendance is wrong. Youd get a near capacity based on the game itself being played there just once annually.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back