Roast Be brave with ball movement

Remove this Banner Ad

I hate how Scott’s excuse is that “we are top of the ladder” so it’s not that we’re “in a huge hole”.. absolute s**t talk.

The first 11 rounds are irrelevant. Utterly irrelevant. Teams have worked out how to play us, our players have fallen into bad habits and selection has been questionable.

Fix it scott. It’s up to him and the coaches to evolve and make changes to counter Other teams’ style against us.

We know they’ll try make us go slow by clogging up the field. So use more handball and run. Surprise the opposition.

We know how they’ll play against us. Use that to our advantage. Or keep playing the same boring s**t, walk into the other teams hands, go out in straight and wonder why were in the EXACT same scenario as 12 months ago.

It cannot be more obvious we need to change.

Tuohy looks like a different player right now.

I’ve never rated him as a pure stopper, but there’s little doubt that he can be a dangerous player when used in an attacking role. The style we’re playing right now does him very few favours.
Just look at Newman from Carlton, kicked 4 goals off HB because they let him push forward and attack. It's exactly how Tuohy should be used.

Last edited:

Tuohy looks like a different player right now.

I’ve never rated him as a pure stopper, but there’s little doubt that he can be a dangerous player when used in an attacking role. The style we’re playing right now does him very few favours.

If you not going to take it over 4000 rpm..then you may as well leave the Ferrari in the garage ... playing 2e the way he is at the moment ...which may well be ..to instruction ... really does not show him off to his best. Short kicks ..risk reduction little pace or excitment... the first season ..he was getting on the end of the ball chain and having shots at goal...

Michael Gleeson in The Age:

He may well have been reprinting multiple posts from BF ... so much that has been said in here ... and hard to argue with..unless you are an insider in the club ... then all comments like CS said.. what was it superficial or something like that ..

For an alternate analysis...

The first myth was that Geelong needs to play faster.
“They’ve been doing this the whole year,” Melbourne great Garry Lyon said. “They’ve been slow to play on - it’s their whole DNA.”
He pointed to the loss against Fremantle as proof.
In the first quarter, the Cats played on four per cent of the time and scored 15 more points than the Dockers. But in the final quarter, the Cats played on 25 per cent of the time and lost it by 26 points.

For an alternate analysis...

That stat is misleading, as the game is always more open in the last quarter. It also does not take into account how well Freo was playing in both quarters.

Used to be that Blicavs used to stand out with his hesitant, look in a hundred different directions with a furrowed brow before kicking style. Now they are all doing it. Then kicking it backwards or sideways. Or hugging the boundary line.

Some further alt analysis from the addy...

"While the focus of discussion surrounding Geelong’s poor form has been around slow ball movement, it must be remembered the Cats have taken their time with the ball all season.
The Cats played on from a mark just 8.1 per cent of the time against Fremantle. But the numbers have been similar in their wins, according to Champion Data.
There was no mention of that kick-mark style when the club rocketed to 11-1.
So, where is it going wrong?
The numbers that would be of greatest concern for Scott and his coaching staff would be those that stem from winning the footy at the contest.
In all four losses since the bye, Geelong has been smashed in that part of its game.
The Cats have dropped from being the competition leader in contested possession differential (+15.7) and ground-ball differential (+12.9) before the bye, to sit ninth in contested possession differential (-0.9) and eighth in ground-ball differential (+2) after the week off.
That is having a flow-on effect in attack.
The Cats’ scoring efficiency is down, while they are now also struggling to score from turnovers and stoppages.
Before the bye, Geelong was ranked first in the competition for points differential from turnovers (+25.1) and fourth for points differential from stoppages (+7.3).
Post-bye, the Cats are ranked ninth in both areas, with +2.4 points from turnovers and -1 from stoppages.
Win the contest, win the game. Could it be as simple as that for the Cats?"

That stat is misleading, as the game is always more open in the last quarter. It also does not take into account how well Freo was playing in both quarters.

Used to be that Blicavs used to stand out with his hesitant, look in a hundred different directions with a furrowed brow before kicking style. Now they are all doing it. Then kicking it backwards or sideways. Or hugging the boundary line.
They are 2 stats, and the fact remains that in spite of all the talk of "we need to move the ball quickly to Hawkins", when we played slowly in the first quarter we won the quarter comfortably and Hawkins kicked 3.

I'm not saying that other factors go into it, but I don't think the solution is as simple as "move the ball quicker."

So we are in a bit of a hole chris says.

Is that because of our heavy training load as people have suggested we have taken?

Or are we playing bruise free footy as others have suggested we are playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon there are two data issues here:

1. The ‘play on from a mark’ stat doesn’t say anything about the propensity to kick backwards/sideways or indeed to use riskier but more attacking options with 45 degree kicks into the corridor. I’d also ask: does a handball to a player running past count as playing on or not? If not, again, it’s a flawed measure.

2. Averages (e.g. play on % in a game or quarter) are likely to mask what is really going on. I think we have changed from a ‘stop-go’ style earlier in the year where we mix going slow with going fast to one now where we mostly lack the fast element. The averages may look similar but by removing the fast element we are removing the part where we are most potent in scoring.

So, Bartel, Carey and Gleeson say we're moving the ball too slow.
Brown, Lyon and Roos say the opposite. When we win, we have slowed the ball down.
Anybody else confused?
Ha yep- well I guess there is slowing the ball down. And slowing the ball down. It’s ok to slow it a bit in a purposeful fashion, but sometimes we are so slow it’s nearly next week by the time it’s passed and all those loose players are long gone!
Rather than focusing on the speed of movement though, surely it’s the direction it goes in and pushing it forward, at all costs, is more helpful for mine- that’s certainly what works in finals.

I hate how Scott’s excuse is that “we are top of the ladder” so it’s not that we’re “in a huge hole”.. absolute s**t talk.

The first 11 rounds are irrelevant. Utterly irrelevant. Teams have worked out how to play us, our players have fallen into bad habits and selection has been questionable.

Fix it scott. It’s up to him and the coaches to evolve and make changes to counter Other teams’ style against us.

We know they’ll try make us go slow by clogging up the field. So use more handball and run. Surprise the opposition.

We know how they’ll play against us. Use that to our advantage. Or keep playing the same boring s**t, walk into the other teams hands, go out in straight and wonder why were in the EXACT same scenario as 12 months ago.

It cannot be more obvious we need to change.
He wont change. It's his strategy. He wont give up on it. If nothing changed after the hawthorn game then nothing will ever change. His comments suggest he is in complete denial about what the problem is.

Ha yep- well I guess there is slowing the ball down. And slowing the ball down. It’s ok to slow it a bit in a purposeful fashion, but sometimes we are so slow it’s nearly next week by the time it’s passed and all those loose players are long gone!
Rather than focusing on the speed of movement though, surely it’s the direction it goes in and pushing it forward, at all costs, is more helpful for mine- that’s certainly what works in finals.
The Fox crew also said that the contested ball figures are telling.
When we were winning they were very high. In our recent losses, very low.

I must have missed that. But I listened to the whole interview. 🤷🏻‍♂️

So, Bartel, Carey and Gleeson say we're moving the ball too slow.
Brown, Lyon and Roos say the opposite. When we win, we have slowed the ball down.
Anybody else confused?

Here's what makes sense to me.
We're moving the ball too slow is an opinion.
The data says, based on our earlier wins, that's not the issue. What has changed is our ability to pressure, and win contested ball.

At the beginning of the year what made watching Geelong so exciting was seeing players come from all directions to get the ball back off the opposition. That was new. That was something we'd not done in previous years. We looked like a different team. We never allowed opposition easy ball - and when we got it back, or won it from a 50/50 contest, we would run in waves and start flicking it around. Witness the self-appointed wolfpack. Now they're playing more like a couple of spoodles and a three-legged golden retriever.

However - if we can't win the contested ball - then yes, we need to move the ball quicker out of defence. A bit like Hawthorn in that terrible trifecta of years - not elite at contested ball, but once they got it, they wouldn't give it back.

So in answer to your question, I'm only a bit confused.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back