Life after Hardwick

Remove this Banner Ad

Not much wriggle room there DNT - not like you 🤣

If a week is a long time in footy, a season is an eternity. Plenty of Clubs have been resigned to history for not being able to make the most of a good thing. Love my Tiges, but don't think we are so special that we too may find history repeating itself. Transitioning away from Cotch, Reiwoldt and Rance will be the test.

There replacements are already here

Pretty sure yellowsash will not have wanted this thread bumped, because this post really hasn’t aged too well at all.

Richmond may or may not be a “rebuild” team. We may now be a “renovate” team. Or not. But we still have 2-3 years of elite performances to go.
Hardly aged at all. My entire post was about how our current run won't last forever , and whether we think Hardwick is the right guy to try and rebuild us again.

Plus we haven't even gotten to 2020 when I said we would likely dip, so I haven't been proven either right or wrong

Players love Dimma and Dimma loves the players, the staff and the fans.

Reminds me of the Powerhouse Hafey years cept when we were hated and feared.
With modern footy and they way it is Dimma has a bit more of that softer touch and more hands on deck with the whole Club on the same page.

Glorious times ahead if we don't get too far ahead of ourselves and remember to keep doing the things that got us here.

Dimma can easily coach for another 5.
He has learnt to delegate very well.
Totally up to him what he does from here on imo.
I don’t think he will want to coach for ever though ala Clarko.
I’d think a succession plan may be introduced once Dimma comes out of contract next. For eg he will sign for 2 more years and overseas the transition

I agree that 2020 will be the last shot for another premiership - thankfully they’ve made it count. I reckon Dimma is the perfect choice for the start of a rebuild though. He won’t care about results because he has reached the summit twice. He can take the flogging with a young team that will allow the Tigers to get some top 3 picks and land another Cotchin and Martin.

Good teacher of young talent TI
Young talent isn’t the only thing required to win flags. He should have three flags on the trot on your reckoning , but he’s lucky to have one. I still doubt him as being a game day coach and able to implement a plan B when the chips are down. I like him as a player development coach as you suggest, but he hasn’t convinced me as a coach when September comes.

I agree that 2020 will be the last shot for another premiership - thankfully they’ve made it count. I reckon Dimma is the perfect choice for the start of a rebuild though. He won’t care about results because he has reached the summit twice. He can take the flogging with a young team that will allow the Tigers to get some top 3 picks and land another Cotchin and Martin.

Why 2020 last chance ? I think 20-23 minimum

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Young talent isn’t the only thing required to win flags. He should have three flags on the trot on your reckoning , but he’s lucky to have one. I still doubt him as being a game day coach and able to implement a plan B when the chips are down. I like him as a player development coach as you suggest, but he hasn’t convinced me as a coach when September comes.
This is a fair point. If it wasn’t for Williamstown missing 2 easy shots in the last minute, he’d have no flags to show for 3 dominant years. Got the home and away stuff under control, just needs to sort out his finals coaching

Dimma can easily coach for another 5.
He has learnt to delegate very well.
Totally up to him what he does from here on imo.
I don’t think he will want to coach for ever though ala Clarko.
I’d think a succession plan may be introduced once Dimma comes out of contract next. For eg he will sign for 2 more years and overseas the transition
Why , have we got retirements on mass next year😗 , what a silly comment. Remind me how we performed in the absence of cotch jack and rance for extended periods , that provided a sneak peek of life after the big 3

This is a fair point. If it wasn’t for Williamstown missing 2 easy shots in the last minute, he’d have no flags to show for 3 dominant years. Got the home and away stuff under control, just needs to sort out his finals coaching
Naaah, Fly took a hit for the RFC as well that will also never be forgotten, losing his best 2 players for the good of the Club in Macca and Ross would have been a hard pill to swallow. Very good coach in waiting.

It’s tough to judge a VFL coach based on Premierships. Their main role is to develop young talent and prepare them for AFL football. Sometimes that can be at the expense of VFL glory.

Not much wriggle room there DNT - not like you 🤣

If a week is a long time in footy, a season is an eternity. Plenty of Clubs have been resigned to history for not being able to make the most of a good thing. Love my Tiges, but don't think we are so special that we too may find history repeating itself. Transitioning away from Cotch, Reiwoldt and Rance will be the test.

Will free up cap space so we can poach another couple of Gold Coast players.

At 47 years-old, Dimma has 13-20 years of coaching left in him if he doesn't suffer burnout. I think he has the temperament to keep 'reinventing' himself and rebuilding the list if/as needed. We're a destination club for as long as he's in charge because he is a great leader of men and players want to get the most out of themselves. Surround him with quality assistants and he could be an all time great.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back