Life after Hardwick

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually had Gastro early Thursday morning and was in bed most of the day and wasn’t actually going to go Fri night and I was a write off that whole Thursday afternoon and night , By Fri nafternoin I was a lot better but still massively void of energy etc . So if Astbury did have Gastro as they said then he shouldn’t have played imo .

In Astbury's defence I think he may have some better science supporting him than you had to endure. Astbury probably coming off a better block of physical form prior to that game than your good self too. :D

In Astbury's defence I think he may have some better science supporting him than you had to endure. Astbury probably coming off a better block of physical form prior to that game than your good self too. :D

I look after myself and pretty fit , eat well apart from occasional binge , there was no way I could have gone to a gym session a day after having gastro etc . I know he’s an athlete and all but he’s still human mate and if he had a bad case of it then still take a lot of energy out of him .

I think Hardwick's game plan has been found out. He needs to adapt and I think Lynch is a move in that direction, however, do I think he can do it? well, it took him how many years to come up with this game plan? I was on the Hardwick out the team at the end of the 2016 season and I was proven wrong but at the end who really knows ....

I look after myself and pretty fit , eat well apart from occasional binge , there was no way I could have gone to a gym session a day after having gastro etc . I know he’s an athlete and all but he’s still human mate and if he had a bad case of it then still take a lot of energy out of him .

Actually boys an athlete down on health is hindered in performance greater than just an average human being. It’s very difficult to perform at an elite level if you’ve got a bug or virus in your system. So I agree with T1229 that he shouldn’t have played and it looked that way .

Actually boys an athlete down on health is hindered in performance greater than just an average human being. It’s very difficult to perform at an elite level if you’ve got a bug or virus in your system. So I agree with T1229 that he shouldn’t have played and it looked that way .
Yep elite athletes are more susceptible to getting viruses etc.
It's why I'm a perfectly health fat campaigner.

I think Hardwick's game plan has been found out. He needs to adapt and I think Lynch is a move in that direction, however, do I think he can do it? well, it took him how many years to come up with this game plan? I was on the Hardwick out the team at the end of the 2016 season and I was proven wrong but at the end who really knows ....
KDH has never devised a successful game plan of his own, he’s only implemented one that was devised for him. I agree though that he and his FD will need to do some tweaking bc they will need to incorporate Lynch. Two tall forwards xxxx we won’t know ourselves.

My comment was actually about not comparing you with Dave, not because of how fit you are, but rather the health science supporting him - I threw in his elite prowess against yours as an aside and a smiley face. I really don't think he was selfish at all. If he was a sick as you say your were, then he was credible all things considered.

Keep up the good work 1229 - it has the capacity to reward you later in life that is for sure.

I take your point, but everyone is focussing on Grigg.

The problem is that our number one ruck gets towelled up by Grundy, Gawn etc.

If you think we need to beat those guys we need to get someone better. Getting a better 2nd ruck aint going to help a lot. And detracts if they (like Soldo) are tap ruckmen only.
He may get beaten, towelled up is a bit of a stretch. It looks like a towelling when you see the hit out stats, but that’s because they rack a heap up when Nank is resting.
What we have been getting away with is winning the ball off their tap or setting up so if we lose the clearance we get it back through pressure. We weren’t winning it back as easily on Friday.
Also On Friday when Grigg went in the ruck they would win the clearance with a tap to advantage or Grundy just belted it forwards so we could shark the tap. This is where a team has finally worked out how to use the Grigg factor to advantage.
If we can upgrade on Nank fantastic, but there are only 4 or 5 in the comp that are that far in front and I don’t see how we get them into the team with salary cap and or even trade them in.
So to my point, with Jack and Lynch our two forwards, we then need a third forward that can ruck. Doesn’t need to kick many goals, but will keep the backs honest so they can’t double and triple team our main targets so easily.
I may have said Moore, but he’s not tall enough. Chole would be a better option in height and he’s athletic, but is he up to it. Coleman-Jones not ready yet.

............... we then need a third forward that can ruck. Doesn’t need to kick many goals, but will keep the backs honest so they can’t double and triple team our main targets so easily.
I may have said Moore, but he’s not tall enough. Chole would be a better option in height and he’s athletic, but is he up to it. Coleman-Jones not ready yet.

While probably not ready for 2019 on exposed form, Miller is a sneaky chance to fill that role. Cholly needs uninjured game time in 2019 to know if he can improve still further.

The way the game is played in the arcs (even with the much touted 6 x 6 x 6), a Balta with a better tank is what we need right now. Having another tall in fwd line on top of getting Lynch (?) changes us massively, this extra tall needs to be able to play smaller as well as get up and back fast, not unlike Jack Reiwoldt really - so I think if we trade for anyone else it might be for that sort of role (plenty of those around aren't there :D), even though we desperately need another hard nose mid.

This really is more a life during Hardwick discussion, but the game plan transition phase could determine how long the 'during Hardwick' really is.

He may get beaten, towelled up is a bit of a stretch. It looks like a towelling when you see the hit out stats, but that’s because they rack a heap up when Nank is resting.
What we have been getting away with is winning the ball off their tap or setting up so if we lose the clearance we get it back through pressure. We weren’t winning it back as easily on Friday.
Also On Friday when Grigg went in the ruck they would win the clearance with a tap to advantage or Grundy just belted it forwards so we could shark the tap. This is where a team has finally worked out how to use the Grigg factor to advantage.
If we can upgrade on Nank fantastic, but there are only 4 or 5 in the comp that are that far in front and I don’t see how we get them into the team with salary cap and or even trade them in.
So to my point, with Jack and Lynch our two forwards, we then need a third forward that can ruck. Doesn’t need to kick many goals, but will keep the backs honest so they can’t double and triple team our main targets so easily.
The Thriller in Miller is a sneaky chance to be the man, but he will need time and development in this area. I was puzzled why he played down back for the majority of games over being a ruck forward. This is where he looked dangerous and promising imo.

The Thriller in Miller is a sneaky chance to be the man, but he will need time and development in this area. I was puzzled why he played down back for the majority of games over being a ruck forward. This is where he looked dangerous and promising imo.
Seems to be our stock standard development, start them down back, even if they are a a tall forward, ruck, inside or outside mid, small forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While probably not ready for 2019 on exposed form, Miller is a sneaky chance to fill that role. Cholly needs uninjured game time in 2019 to know if he can improve still further.

The way the game is played in the arcs (even with the much touted 6 x 6 x 6), a Balta with a better tank is what we need right now. Having another tall in fwd line on top of getting Lynch (?) changes us massively, this extra tall needs to be able to play smaller as well as get up and back fast, not unlike Jack Reiwoldt really - so I think if we trade for anyone else it might be for that sort of role (plenty of those around aren't there :D), even though we desperately need another hard nose mid.

This really is more a life during Hardwick discussion, but the game plan transition phase could determine how long the 'during Hardwick' really is.
One of those threads that morphs as the conversation develops.
Talk of a rebuild in a few years when our current pillars retire, but if we are smart I don’t see the need.
So it terms of Hardwick long term tenure it will be more about his hunger to keep coach, unless we do fall off the cliff in a few years.

The biggest mistake on the night for mine I have mentioned elsewhere - not starting Grimes on DeGoey, despite what DH said about players having zones. Said to U2 Tigers in the morning of the game day, this had to be our No1 start point. It was a bizarre it took so long.

Good call.

The other major fail for mine and again said it pre-game, that if Sidebottom got off whatever chain we started with, we had to put Cotchin to him. The only way we could eventually turn a negative into a positive. I think Graham went to him initially, but 40+ touches later he had set so much up for the win.

Wandered in off the back of the square on his own, all night. Played very well, but jeez, the move to shut him down never really came.

It was like a game of 500 and we let Collingwood win the bid and we just followed each card they led. We did/had nothing to trump with.

Love the analogy. I'd add that we showed them our cards for the best part of 38 games (2017 + 2018) and didn't do a single thing to change them when the deciding game came along.

Newman has always been highly regarded as a leader within and outside of the rfc , I’m talking qualities that make up a persons character , you need to look deep to see the parallels and I mean deep not kicks and handballs

Newman has been credited with having played a big role in setting up the culture of the club. He was big on pride in the jumper and what it means to represent the club as well as setting the foundation for what the players refer to as being a "Richmond Man."

Listening to the Hawthorn players and members of the media he has been nothing but impressive as an assistant coach and coach of the Box Hill Hawks with predictions he will go onto bigger and better things.

I can't shake the feeling that Dimma will return to Essendon at some point and if that were to happen at the end of his current contract then Newy would be right in the mix to become the next senior coach at Richmond.

Newman has been credited with having played a big role in setting up the culture of the club. He was big on pride in the jumper and what it means to represent the club as well as setting the foundation for what the players refer to as being a "Richmond Man."

Listening to the Hawthorn players and members of the media he has been nothing but impressive as an assistant coach and coach of the Box Hill Hawks with predictions he will go onto bigger and better things.

I can't shake the feeling that Dimma will return to Essendon at some point and if that were to happen at the end of his current contract then Newy would be right in the mix to become the next senior coach at Richmond.
Rubbish with dimma and ess , they traded him to PA and I’ve never ever noted an iota of lingering support for them as his legacy in football is what he’s achieved in his Richmond journey. It won’t last forever but for a fair while yet and he wouldn’t go before someone else called time ,,,, wouldn’t stop dan the man trying though

Just leaving the AFL Coaches Association Awards.

Alfred E Newman was runner up in Best Assistant Coach Award to Rhyce Shaw.

Haere Ra

I think this is worth thinking about.

What was our competitive advantage has just been successfully used against us. Sitting still means going backwards.

I'm not saying Hardwick needs to be replaced anytime soon, but I am saying he has a genuine challenge ahead. We need to find a new, different competitive advantage for 2019.

I don't think it's unfair to say Hardwick is a conservative coach. We had 22 rounds to find a solution to the 2nd ruck problem, and did SFA. The deficiencies in 13, 14, 15 and 16 were repeated, before we changed significantly. Now, he has 3 months to make a new plan with another 3 months to implement it.
I think its unfair to say he did SFA about our second rucks. It was decided that we didn't have a good enough solution ie a tall player to fill the role well enough in the time frame given, and they felt having another runner will help us. This only came apart because our mids around the ball failed to man up and win the ball. That in itself was a decision, so its not that they ignored it. Now they may change it for next year, but we will have a year of games to fine tune how to do it.

I think its unfair to say he did SFA about our second rucks. It was decided that we didn't have a good enough solution ie a tall player to fill the role well enough in the time frame given, and they felt having another runner will help us. This only came apart because our mids around the ball failed to man up and win the ball. That in itself was a decision, so its not that they ignored it. Now they may change it for next year, but we will have a year of games to fine tune how to do it.

How did we know there wasn't a good enough solution?

My point is that they didn't try anything. Any change to the team structure is going to take some AFL game time to work it through. We were assured a top 2 finish and played Gold Coast. Instead of having a look at a different way of doing things, we did essentially the same thing (one ruck, but Soldo instead of Nank).

I'm not saying I have the solution. I'm not saying Soldo, Moore, Garthwaite, Balta, CCJ or even Chol are a definite solution. I'm saying they didn't have a look at the many options. Just saying "Oh, none of them are good enough" without having a look is doing SFA in my books.

Towner wasn't good enough for most of the 2017 season until they were forced to see if playing him forward could work.

Now I'm not saying that we need to sack Hardwick after Friday, but its worth having a mature think about what we do once our current run is dead.

Typically teams are only in with a genuine shot at a flag for 2 seasons (unless you're a 3peat quality team which we arent). We have already had 2, and with the age of our better players next year looks to be our last genuine shot (although i have doubts). By the time 2020 rolls around, we will likely be dipping down again for another rebuild.

The question is, do we think Hardwick is the guy, or do we look to someone else. The first rebuild was long and on shaky ground until Hardwick got some better assistants, and so there's legitimate grounds to question whether he can do it again once those assistants leave. By the end of 2019 he will also be our 2nd longest serving coach, with only 1 year needed to take over the top spot as our longest serving coach. 10 years is a long time to coach a team, and it may be time for the club to look for a new voice.

I admit I don't know what I think the club should do, which is why I put the question out there. Even if it's not next year or the year after that that we start to fall, do we think hardwick is the man to oversee our inevitable nect rebuild?

Why rebuild when you snag another flag, and probably have at least 1 (probably more) under the current coaching staff and administration?

Always like Dimma as a player and coach (despite being a Carlton man), well on his way to cementing his legacy as a RFC legend. Winning 2 flags as coach in an 18 team/salary cap riddled equalization competition is very impressive stuff👍👍👍

Now I'm not saying that we need to sack Hardwick after Friday, but its worth having a mature think about what we do once our current run is dead.

Typically teams are only in with a genuine shot at a flag for 2 seasons (unless you're a 3peat quality team which we arent). We have already had 2, and with the age of our better players next year looks to be our last genuine shot (although i have doubts). By the time 2020 rolls around, we will likely be dipping down again for another rebuild.

The question is, do we think Hardwick is the guy, or do we look to someone else. The first rebuild was long and on shaky ground until Hardwick got some better assistants, and so there's legitimate grounds to question whether he can do it again once those assistants leave. By the end of 2019 he will also be our 2nd longest serving coach, with only 1 year needed to take over the top spot as our longest serving coach. 10 years is a long time to coach a team, and it may be time for the club to look for a new voice.

I admit I don't know what I think the club should do, which is why I put the question out there. Even if it's not next year or the year after that that we start to fall, do we think hardwick is the man to oversee our inevitable nect rebuild?
Pretty sure yellowsash will not have wanted this thread bumped, because this post really hasn’t aged too well at all.

Richmond may or may not be a “rebuild” team. We may now be a “renovate” team. Or not. But we still have 2-3 years of elite performances to go.

Coaching us for the next 20 years

Not much wriggle room there DNT - not like you 🤣

If a week is a long time in footy, a season is an eternity. Plenty of Clubs have been resigned to history for not being able to make the most of a good thing. Love my Tiges, but don't think we are so special that we too may find history repeating itself. Transitioning away from Cotch, Reiwoldt and Rance will be the test.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back