Life after Hardwick

Remove this Banner Ad

Rubbish. The best we could do pre Balme was DFA Taylor Hunt Petterd and Pick 19 for Yarran. Then add all those clowns that got the arse in the FD. Why get Balme , sack KDH mates and have a costly review if all was cosy? Wouldn’t we have opted to save our money and stayed on the Penny stability train?
KDH was identified as in need of desperate help and in his own admission he stated he needed help and he improved bc of it. You don’t sack people if things are going smoothly.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/r...h/news-story/fd574dc2df2e0db726832fba5c51ed05
Do you actually think Balme came in on September 12th and we only started talking to Prestia then? Get a grip, m8. Prestia was already coming to us well before Balme.

Who xxxed off Yarran and cleaned up the shit afterwards? My pet goldfish could have done the Prestia deal. I don’t think he had any other takers did he and Dan gave pick six and a good load of money up for him?? We managed to balance the books with Balme’s later deals.
Here is the 2016 trade results so you can learn what Balme managed to do and how much money he saved us by offloading the Tyronnosaurus and Lids.
It might also pay to go and see who we drafted.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-23/trade-verdict-how-did-your-club-fare-during-the-trade-period
"DION Prestia sought assurances from Richmond it was not going to sack coach Damien Hardwick before he arrived at Punt Rd on Wednesday."

But ye Dimma has nothing to do with it :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

"DION Prestia sought assurances from Richmond it was not going to sack coach Damien Hardwick before he arrived at Punt Rd on Wednesday."

But ye Dimma has nothing to do with it :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Who said Dimma had nothing to do with it? Was Prestia the only deal we completed in 2016? Have a read before you start making your snide remarks. DH ducked up 2016 so much we got pick six and could deal with The Suns. The reality is nobody wanted to give up an early pick and money for him so we had the first hit at him with pick six bc why would they accept a worse offer. Do you bloody get it?

Last edited:
No I’m not , I’m coupling his coaching ability with his renowned leadership character traits , as I say much like Adam Simpson
Really he didn’t lead us to anything as a player and remarkably we improved drastically after he pushed off with Lids.
Suddenly Simpson is the new boy,but I can’t see the comparison so please fill me in Bo.

Fair enough and I agree with your concept of rejuvenating the list , but sometimes you need to rejuvenate the coaching staff. We’ve got Kingsley and I would like him to coach the VFL side.
Windows are bullshit and can be closed easily. You need to make hay while the sun shines and we didn’t this year There were nasty signs in the last month that teams were closing in on us and like 2016 teams can make new additions and tweaks and get up to the top. Collingwood is another prime example. What people fail to understand is our boys have been up and about since 2012-13 for only one cigar, so when did the window open?
We got out coached and smacked on the weekend bc Dimma made the Captain call on injured players and they were wrong with the poor matchups. It was disgraceful and a rehash of 2016. How do you know he’s not going to shit the bed again? I’m into keeping him , but shit like Friday can’t be tolerated bc it was unprofessional and cowboy stuff.
TI you’re sounding alot like the lunatics that reviewed our 1981 season. We went 19-5 , my quibble is we came into finals playing too well , rarely tested. We needed to be well beaten by a genuine top 4 side within the shadows of finals that would have been the catalyst to internally challenge the legitimacy of a setup that was still basking in the glow of 2017. There are 3-4 players that would need to have Liston trophy fav form before I’m prepared to see them in the seniors again , the party’s over for them and our one man ruck and our dwarfs forward line

Fair enough and I agree with your concept of rejuvenating the list , but sometimes you need to rejuvenate the coaching staff. We’ve got Kingsley and I would like him to coach the VFL side.
Windows are bullshit and can be closed easily. You need to make hay while the sun shines and we didn’t this year There were nasty signs in the last month that teams were closing in on us and like 2016 teams can make new additions and tweaks and get up to the top. Collingwood is another prime example. What people fail to understand is our boys have been up and about since 2012-13 for only one cigar, so when did the window open?
We got out coached and smacked on the weekend bc Dimma made the Captain call on injured players and they were wrong with the poor matchups. It was disgraceful and a rehash of 2016. How do you know he’s not going to shit the bed again? I’m into keeping him , but shit like Friday can’t be tolerated bc it was unprofessional and cowboy stuff.

It's hardly "unprofessional and cowboy stuff" to roll the dice on (arguably) the best player in the league in a prelim final. And as for Astbury, what was the option? Let Cox take 40 "contested" marks?

Of course teams will close in on us and make inroads. I actually think next year will reveal how good a coach Hardwick (and his panel) are. And if Lynch and Riewoldt are both lining up, the game plan has already changed markedly.

Make no mistake, having someone to push up onto the wings and half back (either JR or Lynch) to mark or contest while having the other (JR or Lynch) inside 50 will make a big difference to our structure.

We still have absolutely elite mids: Martin, Cotchin, Prestia, Lambert, Edwards. Kam Macintosh has been pretty good the last few weeks imo and Ellis is great depth.

Our backmen are solid as a rock: Rance, Astbury and Grimes shutting down while Vlaustin has become elite at what he does. Houli still gets the job done but is ageing.

Our small forwards are amazing, DRioli continues to improve and impress, he is so good. Add Lynch in with Jack and suddenly our structure straightens and we have more options.

We need someone to help Nank out, I think we need to regularly play a second ruck as the Grigg thing is over. I was a big advocate of us trying to get Vardy a few years ago but it didnt happen.

Really he didn’t lead us to anything as a player and remarkably we improved drastically after he pushed off with Lids.
Suddenly Simpson is the new boy,but I can’t see the comparison so please fill me in Bo.
Newman has always been highly regarded as a leader within and outside of the rfc , I’m talking qualities that make up a persons character , you need to look deep to see the parallels and I mean deep not kicks and handballs

Newman has always been highly regarded as a leader within and outside of the rfc , I’m talking qualities that make up a persons character , you need to look deep to see the parallels and I mean deep not kicks and handballs
Sorry he never inspired us to any greatness and ironically we were better for it once he left.

Sorry he never inspired us to any greatness and ironically we were better for it once he left.

We didn’t have a good enough team when he was with us.. being inspirational can only get you so far..

Plus that’s only a very small part of being a coach as well.

It's hardly "unprofessional and cowboy stuff" to roll the dice on (arguably) the best player in the league in a prelim final. And as for Astbury, what was the option? Let Cox take 40 "contested" marks?

Of course teams will close in on us and make inroads. I actually think next year will reveal how good a coach Hardwick (and his panel) are. And if Lynch and Riewoldt are both lining up, the game plan has already changed markedly.

Make no mistake, having someone to push up onto the wings and half back (either JR or Lynch) to mark or contest while having the other (JR or Lynch) inside 50 will make a big difference to our structure.

We still have absolutely elite mids: Martin, Cotchin, Prestia, Lambert, Edwards. Kam Macintosh has been pretty good the last few weeks imo and Ellis is great depth.

Our backmen are solid as a rock: Rance, Astbury and Grimes shutting down while Vlaustin has become elite at what he does. Houli still gets the job done but is ageing.

Our small forwards are amazing, DRioli continues to improve and impress, he is so good. Add Lynch in with Jack and suddenly our structure straightens and we have more options.

We need someone to help Nank out, I think we need to regularly play a second ruck as the Grigg thing is over. I was a big advocate of us trying to get Vardy a few years ago but it didnt happen.
Mate we had underdone and injured players all over the park.
Lambert Graham Martin Astbury and Houli .Cotchin wasn’t 100% and Broad and Griggs were carrying problems all year.
Don’t talk to me about the matchups.
I don’t want to go in circles bc I’m too depressed to think about it anymore.
Lets all look forward to next year.

IMO Newman's playing days have very little to do with Newman as a coach. He would have learnt more about the coaching caper in his two years of coaching Box Hill than his 14 years of playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We didn’t have a good enough team when he was with us.. being inspirational can only get you so far..

Plus that’s only a very small part of being a coach as well.
Yes we did from 2012 onwards, but we played duds over better players and Newey was a selfish bloke who with KDH were adamant in winning a fairytale first final. We won 15 games in two of those seasons.

IMO Newman's playing days have very little to do with Newman as a coach. He would have learnt more about the coaching caper in his two years of coaching Box Hill than his 14 years of playing.
You could be right mate. I’m just not sure whether he would fit us long term as generally past players don’t do much at their old clubs unless they’re Smith’s Barassi’s and co and they were in a different generation.

We had 22 rounds to find a solution to the 2nd ruck problem, and did SFA.

Like someone from the 2s? They looked at that, no one ready to step up. No point going with a solution that's worse than the status quo. The decision was obviously to run with the current strategy, and it gave us 18 wins.
Grundy outplayed Nank on Friday, that's happened before, and it wasn't the major problem that caused the loss.

Read the first page only, so not sure if this has been mentioned on the other pages.

Let’s not forget Hardwick had to rebuild during severally compromised drafts. If we need to do a mini rebuild, we will have a much better chance without having to bottom out for several years.
We just need to be smart with our trades and drafting over the next 2 to 3 years.

Newman grew up a Carlton supporter.
For me, Carlton and Collingwood are no-go zones.
But good luck for his career at other clubs though.
No way known he would be given a senior portfolio at Richmond.

Like someone from the 2s? They looked at that, no one ready to step up. No point going with a solution that's worse than the status quo. The decision was obviously to run with the current strategy, and it gave us 18 wins.
Grundy outplayed Nank on Friday, that's happened before, and it wasn't the major problem that caused the loss.
I think it was only a matter of time before it cost us and it was probably always going to be Collingwood (Grundy) or Melbourne (Gawn) as they are great ruckman and also superb around the ground which is Nanks saving grace against most other rucks.
We are going to have to beat Melbourne , Collingwood and WCE (Nic Nat) going forward. I don’t think we can keep doing it with Nank one out.

TI you’re sounding alot like the lunatics that reviewed our 1981 season. We went 19-5 , my quibble is we came into finals playing too well , rarely tested. We needed to be well beaten by a genuine top 4 side within the shadows of finals that would have been the catalyst to internally challenge the legitimacy of a setup that was still basking in the glow of 2017. There are 3-4 players that would need to have Liston trophy fav form before I’m prepared to see them in the seniors again , the party’s over for them and our one man ruck and our dwarfs forward line
I think we came into finals underdone with too many injury woes leading up to it. Winning was a bad mask in the end and I do agree with the dwarf set up as the Grigg concept was dead three months ago. We needed somebody who could pinch hit in the ruck and go forward for a bit. Unfortunately the cupboard was bare in that area.

I think it was only a matter of time before it cost us and it was probably always going to be Collingwood (Grundy) or Melbourne (Gawn) as they are great ruckman and also superb around the ground which is Nanks saving grace against most other rucks.
We are going to have to beat Melbourne , Collingwood and WCE (Nic Nat) going forward. I don’t think we can keep doing it with Nank one out.

I take your point, but everyone is focussing on Grigg.

The problem is that our number one ruck gets towelled up by Grundy, Gawn etc.

If you think we need to beat those guys we need to get someone better. Getting a better 2nd ruck aint going to help a lot. And detracts if they (like Soldo) are tap ruckmen only.

I take your point, but everyone is focussing on Grigg.

The problem is that our number one ruck gets towelled up by Grundy, Gawn etc.

If you think we need to beat those guys we need to get someone better. Getting a better 2nd ruck aint going to help a lot. And detracts if they (like Soldo) are tap ruckmen only.
we need a number 1 ruck to allow nank to be the best number 2 in the league

I think if Hardwick didn't want to go through a rebuild then Caracella could step straight in. Either way you would want Dimma involved in the footy department. Would be a good list manager IMO as everyone loves him so great bloke to send to meetings to sign the FA's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back