SFNL Div 1 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

If you even have to ask that question it would be pointless trying to debate it with you. As mentioned they are not providing charity to some kids doing it tough, but rather enticing kids from all over Melbourne by the lure of getting paid. I know of some 16 & 17-year-old private school kids from leafy eastern suburbs offered $. It does nothing but create a mercenary culture.

In some circumstances it is appropriate to wave subs, cover the cost for boots, socks, shorts etc but If we accept that it is ok for kids playing football in a very average standard suburban comp to receive match payments then we might as well give up. No wonder local footy is stuffed.

Kudos for the work they do with indigenous kids but plenty of other clubs do similar and don’t see the need to offer payment. Each to their own but it just doesn’t sit well with me.
I directly know of this club paying gun kids from the country in U15s. This happened when I was coaching against them. Its a long time ago but...

If you even have to ask that question it would be pointless trying to debate it with you. As mentioned they are not providing charity to some kids doing it tough, but rather enticing kids from all over Melbourne by the lure of getting paid. I know of some 16 & 17-year-old private school kids from leafy eastern suburbs offered $. It does nothing but create a mercenary culture.

In some circumstances it is appropriate to wave subs, cover the cost for boots, socks, shorts etc but If we accept that it is ok for kids playing football in a very average standard suburban comp to receive match payments then we might as well give up. No wonder local footy is stuffed.

Kudos for the work they do with indigenous kids but plenty of other clubs do similar and don’t see the need to offer payment. Each to their own but it just doesn’t sit well with me.

A mercenary culture? Isnt the whole league based on paying the best players and many move clubs for money? I would have that culture already exists.

A mercenary culture? Isnt the whole league based on paying the best players and many move clubs for money? I would have that culture already exists.
Huge difference between actively promoting a mercenary culture and topping up your list by going to market. The two most successful clubs of the past decade have largely achieved success on the back of home-grown players and by making the clubs attractive to potential recruits. I would suggest both Dingley and St Pauls are not known for paying overs and the outsiders they have bought in have generally hung around for a while. Clubs with mercenary cultures would turn over 60% of their list each year with team hopping spuds who are just chasing a buck.

Good clubs can attract players for a combination of reasons, not simply by offering the highest match payments. Granted there are players who simply shop themselves around to the highest bidder, but I don’t think we should ingrain that culture in 15 and 16-year-olds. Just my view.

Huge difference between actively promoting a mercenary culture and topping up your list by going to market. The two most successful clubs of the past decade have largely achieved success on the back of home-grown players and by making the clubs attractive to potential recruits. I would suggest both Dingley and St Pauls are not known for paying overs and the outsiders they have bought in have generally hung around for a while. Clubs with mercenary cultures would turn over 60% of their list each year with team hopping spuds who are just chasing a buck.

Good clubs can attract players for a combination of reasons, not simply by offering the highest match payments. Granted there are players who simply shop themselves around to the highest bidder, but I don’t think we should ingrain that culture in 15 and 16-year-olds. Just my view.

Embarrassing for a club to have to pay juniors to get them out of another club.

Any news on Doveton, I was reliably informed at weekend that Districts are the team of choice (SFL) to replace them but I believe that they are also struggling with a handful of players training and playing home games for starters at Columbus Oval Mulgrave.. Would Springy, Benna or Keysie be interested ??

Any news on Doveton, I was reliably informed at weekend that Districts are the team of choice (SFL) to replace them but I believe that they are also struggling with a handful of players training and playing home games for starters at Columbus Oval Mulgrave.. Would Springy, Benna or Keysie be interested ??
Too late now. Murrumbeena should have been offered promotion at the end of the season. Doveton should have been docked 20 points. The only other way it could work is guarantee that 'Beena do not get relegated next year and any team that refused to go up misses out on promotion. As usual SFL asleep at the wheel.

Isn't that just punishing teams that have planned and budgeted for playing in a certain division, all because another club has unsustainable business model?
It was a last resort. The options are:
Let Doveton cobble a team together and get smashed week in week out or play with a bye....again. Then you have a bye in Div 2. This is why the SFL needs a rocket up their backside. They are turning this competition into a mockery.

As a dingley supporter I would love to see keysie in divvy one,massive rivalry,massive crowds

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a last resort. The options are:
Let Doveton cobble a team together and get smashed week in week out or play with a bye....again. Then you have a bye in Div 2. This is why the SFL needs a rocket up their backside. They are turning this competition into a mockery.
Absolute joke if we have a bye in the (so called) Premier division of this comp. East Brighton and Clayton knew what was coming and at least had the guts to tough it out. Weekly hammerings are far from ideal but in my view Doveton should cop it sweet. You make your bed you lie in it.

The thought of not earning promotion by winning a premiership does not sit well with many clubs and I can’t blame those from Div. 2 who might turn down the offer. As mentioned already they have probably already planned and budgeted on being in Div. 2.

There used to be a time when players would represent their local community on the sporting field against neighbouring clubs in a true local rivalry.
Those days are long gone.
Your mercenary culture definitely exists where leagues and divisions are all about who has the largest coffers and can rent over-paid and over-rated talent for a year or two until they accept a better offer elsewhere.

There used to be a time when players would represent their local community on the sporting field against neighbouring clubs in a true local rivalry.
Those days are long gone.
Your mercenary culture definitely exists where leagues and divisions are all about who has the largest coffers and can rent over-paid and over-rated talent for a year or two until they accept a better offer elsewhere.

Exactly .. so why blame st kilda city

Port Colts clear favourite to win the comp with Kwame & Perkins from Deer Park returning to SFNL to play at Murphy Reserve.

you are joking?

port colts couldnt win a raffle if they bought all the tickets. colts got a soft ride when they joined sfnl but no any more

Port Colts clear favourite to win the comp with Kwame & Perkins from Deer Park returning to SFNL to play at Murphy Reserve.

you are joking?

port colts couldnt win a raffle if they bought all the tickets. colts got a soft ride when they joined sfnl but no any more
So tell me why they can’t , I’m not saying they will , but you haven’t given a reason why , soft ride , sorry was put in div 2. Next year as most people know coming up to Div 1 is bloody hard and almost went down as quick as they went up. This year played finals , won there first final against St Paul’s. So 2nd last to winning a final is heading in the right direction I’d say. And if they can build on there list, they might keep heading north. But do u have some inside knowledge why they can’t , please share with us. Orange ticket b24 port colts 👍

you are joking?

Kwame, Perkins and then Deluca would all be in the top 5 players in the comp.. One team having 3 of the top 5, for me has them clear favourite. Gilbee in his second year of coaching will have learnt more, knows the list and if i was a betting man (which i am) i will be loading up on them the moment the odds come out. Dingley picking up Cam Hansen is a huge inclusion, but apart from that it doesnt seem like any of the other teams are very active and have lost more players than have gained.

every season we hear one team or another has a few big names and is going to win a div 1 flag but it never seems to happen

dingleys list is a bit old and cam hansen is too he has no loyalty and just follows the bucks

there is a cycle where clubs spend big on players, use hidden payments to bust the salary cap and end up broke and with angry unpaid players. i can see this happening at dingley

st pauls are agood one to watch on 2020

every season we hear one team or another has a few big names and is going to win a div 1 flag but it never seems to happen

dingleys list is a bit old and cam hansen is too he has no loyalty and just follows the bucks

there is a cycle where clubs spend big on players, use hidden payments to bust the salary cap and end up broke and with angry unpaid players. i can see this happening at dingley

I wouldn't have thought so

Very few senior players leave dingley,and never on bad terms.extremely well run football club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back