Autopsy Hawks fall short against the Swans - Rd 8 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not that he played bad it's that we have mongrel around the ball, he needs to bring that to carry in worpel and a recovering Mitchell. We need someone to lead with aggression

I think he is hard at the ball and never shirks a contest - his disposal at times can be questionable but you can’t question his endeavour. I think he’s improved every season since coming on board

I don't even know what to say?
It's time for some real home truths and some hard decisions to be made
1st decision.... Stratton to stand down as captain.
2nd decision.... find out who wants in and who can actually play.

Happy to bottom out this year. It's a joke of a season anyways.

Yep agreed. Our last 6 games last year was quick ball movement and plenty of run and overlap. At the moment it is stagnate, stale and extremely boring to watch so I can only imagine what it must be like to be out there playing at the minute .

i fear the same thing will happen this year... then we’ll go out and recruit Nathan Jones and Justin Westoff for 4th round picks.. hailed as another Wright & Clarko masterstroke... and we’ll do it all again in 2021;)

Last edited:
The sky is falling!
Stratts is old news... last year old
Mids are 1 dimensional
What forwards?
Out coached again.

Morrison was solid.

Love Hardwick. This guy is Hawthorn!

Jags needs to play more outside. Just about any FA available that can get him the ball should be a target. Yes, Crouch.

Minch... sorry bud great story but we should have gone with a perspective kid, whatever his name was.

Lewis. Phwah... he will come good in a season or 2.

Wingard is looking like he knows he has to do it himself. I don’t blame him. Keep on keeping on but do it in the midfield.

Day, what a kid! 70kg wet and he is cracking in. More Blokes should take a lead out of his book.

Worps tried today. Needs to let go of the B&F and enjoy his footy. He was all smiles last year. This year he is all puffy and rigid.

Clarko was definitely to smart for his own good this week.
We needed something and it was Sicily to late. We could have structured up after half time to win but we, yet again trotted out the same old same. At least he made a change.

Burgoyne I feel will be a Gibson type fall.

Well done Chip! Someone has to fly the flag, just don’t be so dumb about it.

Big Kegs started well but went missing.

Morris has had his couple. I’d be looking at all of Moore and Ollie with Minch and Morris going out.

Looking forward to the boys playing Pitto. He held his own today against a player that completely tore our rucks a new one.

The bigger ground will do us some structural favours in the West but we will be over run by Carlton and West Coast.

I’m watching for Day. I’m watching for Jags to lead. I’m watching for Hardwick to be himself. Rate him!

Hot tip... watch the GC. It’s actually exciting football

I love Hardwick’s game, but Papley owned him today and basically won them the game.

Otherwise, couldn’t agree more!

I've been watching some of the other games, and it just feels like we're playing a different sport...
The most annoying moment for me was that 5 minute patch kicking out of defense to the same spot, the same Sydney player in a Sydney 2 on 1, 4 times in a row.
Spot on, we are currently the hardest team to watch and it’s not even close.

That patch of play was so frustrating and not uncommon for us. If instinct says dump it there, rest assured teams have a spare waiting. It’s footy 101, but somehow it’s our go to release kick.

utterly pathetic. Don’t let the last few minutes distract you from how poor we are.

Send Burgers home to be with his family.

Minch shouldn’t play for us again.

Brooksby shouldn’t play for us again.

Scully shouldn’t play for us again.

Stratton shouldn’t play for us again.

Drop Lewis and Worpel, both terrible. Worpel only gets so many tackles cause he’s a statue and never gets to the ball first.
Agree with most of that.
Minch.... bloody hell... not even vfl level
Brooksby... bit early to tell... but rubbish by the looks
Scully.., average but keeps his spot
Stratton... don’t even want to discuss ... a captain that needs dropping..., yikes what a ridiculous situation .. we’re in trouble

Michington and Brooksby selections are laughable at best now. What a waste.
What's a waste is we have a son of a former champion in Mcguiness who still can't get a game before these players. Bloke must be wondering why he chose to come to the hawks.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Truth be told were lucky not to be 2-6.

Should've probably lost the North game, and who knows what would've happened if Lynch kicked that sitter for Richmond.

Problem is for guys like Stratton he used to have great kicks around him like Birch, Gibbo, Suckling etc, who right now is a great kick out of our backline? It creates predictable play
yeah but with Sicily, Hardwick, Day and Scrimshaw i'm not as concerned with the backs as I am our one paced horrible kicking midfield. not ONE is even average at kicking it. All Mitchell and Worpel can do is snap it around body. It really is a joke.

Last edited:
Agree with most of that.
Minch.... bloody hell... not even vfl level
Brooksby... bit early to tell... but rubbish by the looks
Scully.., average but keeps his spot
Stratton... don’t even want to discuss ... a captain that needs dropping..., yikes what a ridiculous situation .. we’re in trouble
Yeah I’m not necessarily saying Brooksby was bad, just that now we know for sure that our season is done, there’s no real point in playing him.

Scully will be very lucky if he’s named Thursday night, Billy Hartung was a better player for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Enough of the deflection rubbish.

Garbage. There was no deflection.

Clarko spent 99% of the presser acknowledging our deficiencies and Sydney’s polish and pressure. He shut down attempts to blame Covid or the travel scenarios. When asked about the Papley incident that ultimately had a significant impact on the result, he spoke his mind. Maybe too honestly. This wasn’t deflection, he was stating what we all know but he can’t be seen saying because of “the code”. It quickly segued into a more pertinent point about why the umpires cherry-picked that knock after play and not all the others. He specifically stated that these incidents happen in footy and you need to accept that sometimes they go your way as well.

If he was actually “deflecting”, the focus of his conference would’ve been making excuses and not acknowledging our poor form. This clearly did not happen. Despite what some reactionaries here – and the usual muppet show of footy journos – might proclaim.

Unfortunately Clarko dropped his code tonight. Horse is right, you don't critique opposition players, you critique your own players (& there's plenty to whinge about). At least he was partially right when he said we lacked polish, but everyone knows ... you can't polish a turd. AC needs to focus on the multiple deficiencies in our own game plan and on our own list before he criticises others. There's been plenty of problems highlighted in this thread, but for me our DE is the most embarrassing aspect of our game. Very un-hawthorn like. Hawthorn is broken at the minute.
Horse would also know Clarko is under some pressure externally and by highlighting him going the man in this instance it draws even more scrutiny. Could have laughed it off but it's about making us look bad as a club. They want to see us implode just so Muppets like Ralphie can have a field day talking about our demise.

Blind Freddy can see we lack presence around the ball. Howe is a bigger loss than many realise. With him there we can give Tom and Jaeger some protection which should allow 1 of them to get off the chain. It's a ripple effect. Once the guy is ready he is an automatic in this team. Nash as well for all his weaknesses would provide much more than we are getting from who is there ATM. We're at least 6 players short of our best side from what I can see. It's not an excuse but we don't have the depth of quality to replace key components of the side. Literally all our outs are having huge significance in how we move the ball and how we set up around the ground. Dont get me started on Breust. We have been blessed with this bloke and only now we are seeing how important he is with him not there.

Papley got cheapies out the back and a rubbish free he didn’t own anyone. Got beat by Hardwick in 1v1s
Papley would have had 5 when he burst away from Hardwick at a stoppage. Luckily Scrim caught him holding the ball. Just bc he got some cheapies doesn’t mean he didn’t beat him on the day. Hardwick gave his all but it wasn’t his day.

What game style should we play? We don’t have the leg speed or footskills or tall targets to play ‘quick’ which people keep banging on about. We try but it lasts about 10 minutes and teams shut it down then score. When Sydney flicked the switch we couldn’t keep up.

We have some inside mids who are okay with contested ball but can’t kick or burst away. Our wings are more grinders than burst players. Our back is pretty strong defensively but not great at rebounding. We lack talls up front but have some elite mid sized opportunists in Gunston, wingard and Breust that can kick a few but don’t really have the pressure forwards around them to take risk on aggressive entries.

You put all this together and a stoppage heavy, defensive orientated style to limit counter attacks (where we get burned) and aim to lock ball in 50 enough to hopefully scrounge a winning score unfortunately aligns pretty well with our 22 that Clarko puts on the park.

If we want to play a more offensive style then we need to trial a lot more players and see if anyone outside the 22 can contribute - as the current group are not set up for it.

Throwdogs... that is all we are capable of atm

I love Hardwick’s game, but Papley owned him today and basically won them the game.

Otherwise, couldn’t agree more!
Palpey was gifted 2 goals, 1 was gained while Hardwick was zoning off because we were out numbered.
Hardwick was beaten a couple of times but he also kept him to under 10 disposals o ce you take the free kicks out of it. Considering he is one of the best small forwards going around, I think Hardwick was very solid.

Yet paradoxically we won most of our games last year when we released the shackles towards the end of the year.

I feel like playing this ultra defensive gameplan has to take a toll on the players mindset over the course of the season.
Was a similar gameplan/style but the pressure of the season was off so we played we some dare , moving the ball quickly by foot and taking risks to open the game up.
Win games get confidence up and you look great .

He mentioned the umps after round 4 and basically had a rule changed which pisssed off a lot of people and how has that worked for us since then...
26-12
19-15
17-16
22-13

He then comes out and mentions the free kick count today and it’s like we are
playing an extra man and then talks about Papley.

Enough of the deflection rubbish. Talk about some of our kids If you have too or even Gunstons contribution to the club and give the supporters something positive to hang on too.
Did you listen to the whole thing? He spoke about all of those things and then was asked a question to which he gave an honest answer to. It was 2% of the presser. The rest of it was everything that you asked for.

Garbage. There was no deflection.

Clarko spent 99% of the presser acknowledging our deficiencies and Sydney’s polish and pressure. He shut down attempts to blame Covid or the travel scenarios. When asked about the Papley incident that ultimately had a significant impact on the result, he spoke his mind. Maybe too honestly. This wasn’t deflection, he was stating what we all know but he can’t be seen saying because of “the code”. It quickly segued into a more pertinent point about why the umpires cherry-picked that knock after play and not all the others. He specifically stated that these incidents happen in footy and you need to accept that sometimes they go your way as well.

If he was actually “deflecting”, the focus of his conference would’ve been making excuses and not acknowledging our poor form. This clearly did not happen. Despite what some reactionaries here – and the usual muppet show of footy journos – might proclaim.
I watched it all , agree with you.

Only thing I would say with the Papley stuff as another poster said he needed to play with a straight bat.
Everyone is now sweating on Clarko to make a comment , slip up or whatever .
Everything is now magnified 10 fold.

His 10 second response even correct and most parts fair just looks like a whinge and the media will run with it and play it to death now.

Did you listen to the whole thing? He spoke about all of those things and then was asked a question to which he gave an honest answer to. It was 2% of the presser. The rest of it was everything that you asked for.
He isn't wrong about our treatment from the umps either. If it was any other club other than us there would be huge media coverage about it but because we're hated by the vast majority of the media they are choosing to revel in our misfortune like Jon Ralph. I'm amazed the chief didn't knock his head off his shoulders the other night when his smarmy smart Alec comments on fox footy kept the kicking going.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back