Preview Round 11 Carlton vs West Coast @ Optus Stadium Sunday 9th August 3.35pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Averaging 5 kicks a game and 2 clangers a game....he'd want to make sure he makes as much as possible count...stats are fun aren't they

Yeah stats are fantastic especially when the two you have highlighted further prove my point.

Averaging 6 kicks this season and 10 possessions is exactly why I said Tom should be priority to deliver the ball out of defence.

Tom has also had the equal lowest time on ground our team this season, did you ignore that stat? Didn't suit your narrative to bash a kid making his way in the game?

Tom has also averaged 1 turnover a game (10 disposals avg), for context Simpson has average 3 (11 disposals a game average), Weitering 3 turnovers (avg 14 disposals), Jones 4 turnovers (avg 10 disposals), Plowman 2 turnovers (avg 8 disposals), SPS 2 turnovers (8 disposal average) and Doc 5 turnovers for avg 19 disposals. So out of that list this season Tom is our best user out of our regular defenders.

Oh and game time wise Plowman, Weitering, Jones and Doc are our top 4 for time on ground. Think time on ground impacts disposals by chance?

Oh oh oh and Clangers Doc leads the way with an average of 5 and Tom averages 1. The lowest of all our defenders. Not sure where you got 2 from? Creative rounding.

I don't think you could actually be more wrong. Maybe watch the games again?

Only the one change for mine. However internally a structural change to free some players up.

Moore out to pasture
Fisher in.

Knowing they like the 3 talls I play Kennedy in the hybrid lead up role that Gov plays opening up midfield minutes for cunningham. Gives us a different look at centre bounce aside from the one paced Cripps Curnow Setterfield.

Then I flip Newnes and SPS. Newnes to use some agression and leadership down back. Then getting SPS up the ground further onto the wing to try and get him into the game more and get damaging forward of centre.

Back 7
Weitering Jones Plowmann Williamson Docherty Simpson Newnes

Keys
Pittonet Levi McKay Kennedy Betts

Insiders
Cripps Curnow Setterfield Martin Cunningham

Outsiders
Walsh Murphy Fisher Gibbons SPS

LOL not sure where you are getting yours stats from, but they are wrong. Try the AFL website.

Iso got you angry mate?? Never bashed him just share a different view to you...I don't think we should be funnelling our exits through him. This is a forum where you are allowed to express a differing opinion. Stat's are from footywire.

Only the one change for mine. However internally a structural change to free some players up.

Moore out to pasture
Fisher in.

Knowing they like the 3 talls I play Kennedy in the hybrid lead up role that Gov plays opening up midfield minutes for cunningham. Gives us a different look at centre bounce aside from the one paced Cripps Curnow Setterfield.

Then I flip Newnes and SPS. Newnes to use some agression and leadership down back. Then getting SPS up the ground further onto the wing to try and get him into the game more and get damaging forward of centre.

Back 7

Keys

Insiders

Outsiders

Agree with Fisher for Moore and agree with Kennedy forward. Also agree with moving Newnes back, but worried about SPS getting exposed for pace on the wing if it's just viewed as a straight swap. I'd be tempted to give either him or Murph a break for a game and give Dow or OBrien a run.

Moore out to pasture
Fisher in.

Back 7

Keys

Insiders

Outsiders

Sorry mate, I do not want Newnes anywhere inside the defensive 50 arc .....

Iso got you angry mate?? Never bashed him just share a different view to you...I don't think we should be funnelling our exits through him. This is a forum where you are allowed to express a differing opinion. Stat's are from footywire.

Not angry at all, something has to change with our exits out of defence. Particularly when a behind is scored we seem to struggle to stop repeat entries.

Considering we generally don't drop players. Solution to me is try and get the ball to a developing player who has good disposal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not angry at all, something has to change with our exits out of defence. Particularly when a behind is scored we seem to struggle to stop repeat entries.

Considering we generally don't drop players. Solution to me is try and get the ball to a developing player who has good disposal.

The problem with kicked exits is that Simpson is predictable and tbh of much better use as an outside running receiver. The problem with Jones is that he is an excellent 'technical' kick of the football - bt is prone to error often error caused by him trying too hard for the impossible thread the needle 40-meter dart but unfortunately too often also a total brain fart straight into opposition hands.

Tall defenders are on a hiding to nothing given the pressure that good opposition lines can exert - and we seem to be missing the ability to handball and run through these forward presses - in simple terms we don't have a very well developed overlap running from defensive 50 playbook - it is probably the weakest aspect of our defensive capability right now - and I think it is as much attributable to coaching as the player talent we have at our disposal. Perhaps Teague prefers the long kick to the break lines by foot methodology - a tad too much, but better sides will find the long bomb if employed as the default every time easier to defend against.

Docherty /Simpson /Murphy / Newnes all have enough running power to connect with each other - but we have seen all of them lack enough give to options when the run is on - everything breaks down around the 50 meter arc way too often - and I do think it is a lack of drilling a set of plays into the players - really the only relatively slow bloke back there is Weitering and unfortunately he is busy taking on the opposition best forward. Williamson/Walsh and then who is a typical situation we've seen break down as well - SPS has to be the guy that straightens us up with a bit of corridor running more than he does.

You’d have to think we’re picking from a pool of Fish, Philp and Honey to take Cuners’ spot. Hopefully Gov is ready and comes in for Moore. Can’t see us making any other changes as that doesn’t seem to be Teague’s style.

Don’t mind giving the blokes who played pretty well for a month beforehand the chance to turn their fortunes around. Especially with no reserves scratch match last week it’s difficult to assume significant change is forthcoming

Understand people are frustrated, but think we should and will resist the urge to make mass changes.

We had a nightmare final 3 quarters against the Hawks but we're travelling pretty reasonably regardless and continuity remains hugely important.

Out: Cuningham, Moore
In: Fisher, McGovern

Relatively straightforward changes I think.

If McGovern is fit he comes straight back into the side and it'll be Moore who makes way.

Cuningham out is a shame, he remains very inconsistent but he's one it's just critical to get game time into at the moment. Philp and maybe even Honey will both be considered, but you'd think Fisher will surely come back into the side in his place.

The problem with kicked exits is that Simpson is predictable and tbh of much better use as an outside running receiver. The problem with Jones is that he is an excellent 'technical' kick of the football - bt is prone to error often error caused by him trying too hard for the impossible thread the needle 40-meter dart but unfortunately too often also a total brain fart straight into opposition hands.

Tall defenders are on a hiding to nothing given the pressure that good opposition lines can exert - and we seem to be missing the ability to handball and run through these forward presses - in simple terms we don't have a very well developed overlap running from defensive 50 playbook - it is probably the weakest aspect of our defensive capability right now - and I think it is as much attributable to coaching as the player talent we have at our disposal. Perhaps Teague prefers the long kick to the break lines by foot methodology - a tad too much, but better sides will find the long bomb if employed as the default every time easier to defend against.

Docherty /Simpson /Murphy / Newnes all have enough running power to connect with each other - but we have seen all of them lack enough give to options when the run is on - everything breaks down around the 50 meter arc way too often - and I do think it is a lack of drilling a set of plays into the players - really the only relatively slow bloke back there is Weitering and unfortunately he is busy taking on the opposition best forward. Williamson/Walsh and then who is a typical situation we've seen break down as well - SPS has to be the guy that straightens us up with a bit of corridor running more than he does.

Agree, if we are adamant SPS is a back he needs to be told to run and carry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back