Player Watch #35: Nathan Broad

Remove this Banner Ad

No, he hasn't, and yes, I have. Because I go to VFL games. Plenty of them. Miller has played 36 of Richmond's 41 VFL games since we drafted him.

Have you ever seen him play?

Yes i have but would have seen him play in probably 4-5 games and he has looked like a decent kid playing in KPD role rather than a seasoned player in his early 20's. which Broad was when he was drated

I have not seen many young KPD really play standout games in their first 2-3 years apart from the very rare high end draft picks like Sam Taylor But in the games i have seen him live he has looked like he has all the tools to become a good role player which is exactly what Nathan Broad is and nothing more playing alongside players like Rance , Astbury , Houli,Grimes,Vlastuin is easier than being the KPD in a developing VFL team.

Since we've become a good team, this matters a bit less. It's about getting in to our structure.

When Rance was going to come back, Broad was seen as expendable by plenty of people on here. Garth just has to do what Broad does now, lock down on a bigger bloke.

We still have Astbury to return. We have invested in Balta as a KPD. Grimes can play KPD or on a small. Vlos is pretty versatile. Garth is a project with a bit of experience.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to keep Broad. He's an upgrade on Garth, at this point. But he's also the sort of guy who we'd be mad to throw dollars at just because the Suns want him. He's 27 and he's a role player. We could let him go and probably offer a contract to a bunch of guys at other clubs who are his age and and have his ability who would come across for the chance to play in a flag. He's essentially in the same position BEllis was last year.

The reason we have become a great football team and have the best defence in the league is because of Broads ability with the others. It's no coincidence this bloke is never dropped. I don't think Broad is gonna cost us the $ people think it will. It makes no sense to trade out best 22. And if we keep trading blokes like this out, it also erodes the culture.

Yes i have but would have seen him play in probably 4-5 games and he has looked like a decent kid playing in KPD role rather than a seasoned player in his early 20's. which Broad was when he was drated

I have not seen many young KPD really play standout games in their first 2-3 years apart from the very rare high end draft picks like Sam Taylor But in the games i have seen him live he has looked like he has all the tools to become a good role player which is exactly what Nathan Broad is and nothing more playing alongside players like Rance , Astbury , Houli,Grimes,Vlastuin is easier than being the KPD in a developing VFL team.
I hope Miller makes it, it would help us a lot. But he's not a replacement for Broad. He might be quick, but Broad is regularly in our top few for distance covered in a match.

Miller has not been the KPD in the VFL team. Very much a fringe barely noticeable player at that level. Our VFL KPDs in the past two years have been Garth, Beasley, and last year Balta.

there's literally a post in the first pages of this thread for those that think Miller is faster than Broad...
Broad was a standout at the West Australian state screening last month, running 24.04 seconds in the repeat sprint (better than any player in the national combine) and third-best beep test (level 14.1).

there's literally a post in the first pages of this thread for those that think Miller is faster than Broad...
Yeah, there's a bit of a difference between running a blistering, well-rested, once-off 2.91 for 20 like Miller did, and repeat efforts at high intensity for two hours like Broad does.

Yeah, there's a bit of a difference between running a blistering, well-rested, once-off 2.91 for 20 like Miller did, and repeat efforts at high intensity for two hours like Broad does.
14.1 Beep test is not a massive tank (its good but nothing amazing for a 22 year old with 3-4 years of pre aseason under his belt but the repeat he posted is brilliant. Again there is a big difference between 17/18 year olds and 22 year old players with seasons in them

Examples
Weitering as a 18 year old 15.1
Mitch Hibberd 15.4

But Miller didnt do a Beep test as it had become the Yo Yo by then but his endurance was a weak area but thats the part of fitness thats easily improved with 2-3 years of preseason training.

"

Ben Miller’s size and movement at the National Under 18 Championships attracted recruiters’ eyes and then blew them away with some mind-bogging times at the National Combine. For a 196cm and 93kg key position player and ruck, Miller suddenly caught the attention of AFL supporters when he ran a 2.91 second 20m sprint and 8.10 second agility test. For any player they are elite numbers, but for a player of his size, it truly is a remarkable feat. Along with his speed and agility, Miller has a penetrating kick which he uses to great effect. He does still need to build his endurance and work on his consistency, but with the raw tools he has at his disposal, Miller is expected to find a home late in the draft or in the rookie draft.

STRENGTHS

• Speed
  • Agility
  • Versatile
  • Vertical leap
  • Penetrating kick
Miller’s athleticism is more than just impressive, it is downright defying genetics. Most rucks and key position players who can run and jump like Miller are often beanpoles and while he can add more strength to his frame, he is already a very handy 93kg. He is lightning quick, super agile and has a great vertical leap which makes him a potential ruck prospect as well. His vertical leap testing was solid without being outstanding at the National Combine, but his speed and agility were the highlights of the testing. It threw his name up among AFL supporters wanting to know more about this tall, athletic prospect.

Look im not saying he will make it but for a player with his athleticism and elite training he has a chance to get there and is just about to turn 21 in 2 weeks compared to broad who was playing Wafl and not on a AFL list at the same age. Not many wafl watchers thought he would get drafted that year

14.1 Beep test is not a massive tank (its good but nothing amazing for a 22 year old with 3-4 years of pre aseason under his belt but the repeat he posted is brilliant. Again there is a big difference between 17/18 year olds and 22 year old players with seasons in them

Examples
Weitering as a 18 year old 15.1
Mitch Hibberd 15.4

But Miller didnt do a Beep test as it had become the Yo Yo by then but his endurance was a weak area but thats the part of fitness thats easily improved with 2-3 years of preseason training.

"

Ben Miller’s size and movement at the National Under 18 Championships attracted recruiters’ eyes and then blew them away with some mind-bogging times at the National Combine. For a 196cm and 93kg key position player and ruck, Miller suddenly caught the attention of AFL supporters when he ran a 2.91 second 20m sprint and 8.10 second agility test. For any player they are elite numbers, but for a player of his size, it truly is a remarkable feat. Along with his speed and agility, Miller has a penetrating kick which he uses to great effect. He does still need to build his endurance and work on his consistency, but with the raw tools he has at his disposal, Miller is expected to find a home late in the draft or in the rookie draft.

STRENGTHS

• Speed
  • Agility
  • Versatile
  • Vertical leap
  • Penetrating kick
Miller’s athleticism is more than just impressive, it is downright defying genetics. Most rucks and key position players who can run and jump like Miller are often beanpoles and while he can add more strength to his frame, he is already a very handy 93kg. He is lightning quick, super agile and has a great vertical leap which makes him a potential ruck prospect as well. His vertical leap testing was solid without being outstanding at the National Combine, but his speed and agility were the highlights of the testing. It threw his name up among AFL supporters wanting to know more about this tall, athletic prospect.

Look im not saying he will make it but for a player with his athleticism and elite training he has a chance to get there and is just about to turn 21 in 2 weeks compared to broad who was playing Wafl and not on a AFL list at the same age. Not many wafl watchers thought he would get drafted that year
Miller has great athletic traits. But he is yet to show he can get a kick.

The reason we have become a great football team and have the best defence in the league is because of Broads ability with the others. It's no coincidence this bloke is never dropped. I don't think Broad is gonna cost us the $ people think it will. It makes no sense to trade out best 22. And if we keep trading blokes like this out, it also erodes the culture.

It's not about us continually trading blokes out, it's about list management and not paying overs to guys who are getting older and want more money, but whose role could be filled by a cheaper player.

Dont get me wrong, I love Broad. I loved Ellis too. But guys like him and Ellis might get significantly better offers at weaker clubs. In no way should we match them if we want to maintain our success beyond 2-3 years.

It's not about us continually trading blokes out, it's about list management and not paying overs to guys who are getting older and want more money, but whose role could be filled by a cheaper player.

Dont get me wrong, I love Broad. I loved Ellis too. But guys like him and Ellis might get significantly better offers at weaker clubs. In no way should we match them if we want to maintain our success beyond 2-3 years.

Broads only 27. Has 4/5 good years left in him. He's only peaking now as a footballer.

Broads only 27. Has 4/5 good years left in him. He's only peaking now as a footballer.
I'm not arguing with anything you're saying, tbh. I absolutely know he's a good footballer. I'm simply saying we shouldn't pay overs on guys like Broad or Ellis, whose role could be filled by cleverly recruiting someone similar who wants to come to a successful club.

I mean, what do you think is a reasonable amount we should offer to keep him if GC throw some significant coin at him? Keeping in mind the more we pay him, the more it compromises our ability to chase other players in the next few years, and to lock in guys we currently have.

I'm not arguing with anything you're saying, tbh. I absolutely know he's a good footballer. I'm simply saying we shouldn't pay overs on guys like Broad or Ellis, whose role could be filled by cleverly recruiting someone similar who wants to come to a successful club.

I mean, what do you think is a reasonable amount we should offer to keep him if GC throw some significant coin at him? Keeping in mind the more we pay him, the more it compromises our ability to chase other players in the next few years, and to lock in guys we currently have.

I think Broady will sacrifice coin to stay at the club who took a punt on him and isn't finished yet ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question is, is Broady one who will ask for more $, or is he happy with what he's on or even a bit less to help out the club? Maybe his lifestyle and priorities are such that payday is not necessary.

Just enough to pay for very pretty women and a good camera.

Broad is not easily replaceable.

There's not too many going around that can run all day on a wing, repeat sprint with an elite tank, hit and play hard and play equally as well as a pinch hitting key defensive tall and on midfielders or small forwards. Poor bastards even had a go in the ruck consummate team man and has campaigner in him also.

Broads versatility and size and tank make him a rare commodity, and the main reason he is so important to the Tigers set up.

Too important to be let go, he's one of our unheraldedplayers that are actually of much higher value to our side and set up as opposed to what he'd bring on the open market.

That aged well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back