Review Geelong defeats Lions by 40 points for a GRAND FINAL BERTH in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Cats need time and space with the ball so they can get those uncontested marks. Tigers will block up the space and be in our faces. Last time we panicked a bit and went long down the line where the waiting Namkervis Or Grimes was. Then they just ran it out on the turnover.
what’s our plan b if those chip kicks to control are not working?
We have played plan b for the past two weeks. It’s now plan A.

If the umpiring from the first half was anything to go by, Brisbane playing the GF at the Gabba was pretty much the script.
I posted this last week, with caro on footy classified saying the afl desperately want a queensland team in the gf. I also said expect the umpires to try to facilitate that. And had a few blokes quote me saying don’t be stupid, conspiracy theory, tin foil hat etc.

Went exactly as i said it would. Umpiring was ridiculously biased. Gil must have been pissed.

Plan B should be to put it between the 2 big sticks straight away. Don't bother passing it around. ;-)
Hawkins tried this against Brisbane right away where he took a shot at the goals instead of stuffing around. Likewise Rohan and Ablett from the 50. I think Danger did too, but it went out on the full?

Yes. Richmond deserve to be favourites and the incumbants who also finished higher on the ladder.

It will be up to us to beat them. If we play the way we have the last 2 weeks, I think we will do just that. Comprehensively.

They don't scare me one bit.
Forget about your thoughts, one thing I know - they dont scare Selwood, Scott, Hawkins, Ablett, Stewart, Taylor, Danger, Tuohy one bit.

Maybe Miers could get scared a little bit, but then again, he's played well against them in some games.

The Cats have been desperate for this opportunity. They have been filthy when they dont get a chance to play off. They will come out hard and firing and fight tooth and nail for a victory.

Forget about your thoughts, one thing I know - they dont scare Selwood, Scott, Hawkins, Ablett, Stewart, Taylor, Danger, Tuohy one bit.

Maybe Miers could get scared a little bit, but then again, he's played well against them in some games.

The Cats have been desperate for this opportunity. They have been filthy when they dont get a chance to play off. They will come out hard and firing and fight tooth and nail for a victory.

Responding to the bolded. You have reminded me that about a month ago my wife asked me who I'd like to play if we made the Grand Final. I said Richmond, I wanted a chance to bury them when it mattered. 4 weeks later and here we are.

We have played plan b for the past two weeks. It’s now plan A.
No we haven't. We only have on game plan.

Our game plan is split into two main parts, the defensive possession and the quick transition.

Our game plan has and always was to do both. Our issue in the past has been that we:

*didn't have the skills to hold onto the ball with the chip chip game
*didn't have the skills to open up the game by taking on the corridor
*hesitated too much to take the first option, resulting in the only option being a long bomb down the line

Those 3 points are not "Plan A", they are the result of a team who are still adjusting to the main game plan, and finding out what it takes to implement it successfully.

When we play possession football, it isn't a different game plan to when we play on. They are the 1-2 punch of the same game plan.

We use the possession of the footy, chipping it across the ground to tire out the zone defence, making them run around until they get lazy and open up a hole for us to punch through. We hold the ball far enough back from our F50 to exploit the zone, keeping it out of our F50. Then when we find the hole, we go and we get it into our F50 which is one on one.

We can't exploit the zone and get the easy one on one inside our F50, without the possession football. We need both to work on Saturday if we are to win the flag.

The only time we go quick out of the D50 is when the opposition is pressed up and we can exploit the zone by hand balling it up and over to get a clear front half, but when the opposition is setup with the defensive zone between the centre circle and the F50 arc (which is a typical setup), then we stretch it, we tire it and we exploit it.

Responding to the bolded. You have reminded me that about a month ago my wife asked me who I'd like to play if we made the Grand Final. I said Richmond, I wanted a chance to bury them when it mattered. 4 weeks later and here we are.
I agree. It's the challenge that we all wanted. It's what Danger wants and believes, and what Selwood wants and believes. It's what Chris Scott wants.

This is not a team interested in jagging a premiership. They are desperate to prove themselves. That video of Selwood geeing the boys up before the game. Telling that they would be here next week. That sort of sheer belief is awesome. Richmond have it too. Both teams absolutely believe in their style. Both teams will go 100%. There will be moments when players need to step up. And both team's players will step up. The difference will be - as CS said - scoring. This is what they need to do to punish Richmond and make the waiver. Port had a chance and failed. Brisbane showed us what to do. And we've been practicing that for the last two weeks. Just putting constant grinding scoreboard pressure until the other team gives up.

Votes are in, great to see recognition for unsung heroes Kolo and Henry.

10 - Mitch Duncan (GEEL)
4 - Brandan Parfitt (GEEL)
4 - Lachie Neale (BL)
3 - Sam Menegola (GEEL)
3 - Jake Kolodjashnij (GEEL)
2 - Jack Henry (GEEL)
2 - Joel Selwood (GEEL)
1 - Ryan Lester (BL)
1 - Lincoln McCarthy (BL)

10 - Mitch Duncan (GEEL)
4 - Lachie Neale (BL)
3 - Sam Menegola (GEEL)
2 - Jack Henry (GEEL)
2 - Joel Selwood (GEEL)
1 - Ryan Lester (BL)

That's amazing, 9 players got votes, deservedly so too.

Does anyone else like listening to the radio coverage when they watch the replay? Watching the game again just has so much more feeling when you have someone like Gerard Whateley call the big moments like Rohan's goal or Gazza's goal compared to the Channel 7 coverage.

I've only managed to find the SEN radio coverage, does anyone else know of others? Or aware of any podcasts of the game that has the live radio broadcasts from other stations? It gives a different dimension when replaying the big moments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

10 - Mitch Duncan (GEEL)
4 - Lachie Neale (BL)
3 - Sam Menegola (GEEL)
3 - [PLAYERCARD]Jake Kolodjashnij[/PLAYERCARD] (GEEL)
2 - Jack Henry (GEEL)
2 - Joel Selwood (GEEL)
1 - Ryan Lester (BL)

Congrats to JK - glad to see his game recognised

10 - Mitch Duncan (GEEL)
4 - Lachie Neale (BL)
3 - Sam Menegola (GEEL)
2 - Jack Henry (GEEL)
2 - Joel Selwood (GEEL)
1 - Ryan Lester (BL)
Agree with what you said, but also glad I wasn't the only one who thought Duncan was truly exceptional - every touch he had just about resulted in a scoring chain. Joel really was great for the last 3 quarters - would not give Brisbane an inch in any contest. We all know how well Parfitt did; no forgetting Sammy's fine contributions either. There were at least another 6-8 players who easily could have featured though - if not more.

I've only managed to find the SEN radio coverage, does anyone else know of others? Or aware of any podcasts of the game that has the live radio broadcasts from other stations? It gives a different dimension when replaying the big moments.
Just curious, where do you find this?

10 - Mitch Duncan (GEEL)
4 - Lachie Neale (BL)
3 - Sam Menegola (GEEL)
2 - Jack Henry (GEEL)
2 - Joel Selwood (GEEL)
1 - Ryan Lester (BL)
Duncan in the overall lead with 19 votes, ahead of Martin on 18.

Does anyone else like listening to the radio coverage when they watch the replay? Watching the game again just has so much more feeling when you have someone like Gerard Whateley call the big moments like Rohan's goal or Gazza's goal compared to the Channel 7 coverage.

SEN only aswell, would love to hear the krock call and perhaps others.

10 - Mitch Duncan (GEEL)
4 - Lachie Neale (BL)
3 - Sam Menegola (GEEL)
2 - Jack Henry (GEEL)
2 - Joel Selwood (GEEL)
1 - Ryan Lester (BL)

I felt Mitch started a bit slow, IIRC I said he's not getting involved enough and is spectating a bit too much (well within the first quarter anyway) yet he turned it around to be one of our best (according to this boards MVP).
Credit to him, we need him firing.

I felt Mitch started a bit slow, IIRC I said he's not getting involved enough and is spectating a bit too much (well within the first quarter anyway) yet he turned it around to be one of our best (according to this boards MVP).
Credit to him, we need him firing.
I can assure you it was the opposite, with the second watch confirming that. Mitch was a huge part of us gaining territorial advantage early. His quick hands to release players from pack situations were particularly impressive. He then went stone cold for a large portion of the second quarter before finishing like a house on fire and having two point (should have been goals) assists. The interplay between the likes of Parfitt, Duncan, Guthrie and Selwood all night was brilliant. They turned every 50-50 to a Geelong win and got out on the spread at every opportunity.

I can assure you it was the opposite, with the second watch confirming that. Mitch was a huge part of us gaining territorial advantage early. His quick hands to release players from pack situations were particularly impressive. He then went stone cold for a large portion of the second quarter before finishing like a house on fire and having two point (should have been goals) assists. The interplay between the likes of Parfitt, Duncan, Guthrie and Selwood all night was brilliant. They turned every 50-50 to a Geelong win and got out on the spread at every opportunity.

Yup I've watched it again and I reckon it was simply down to the structure we wanted to hold around a contested ground ball and to have him as an out option should we win it.
LOOKED at the time like he was spectating, I reckon he was just holding to the structures in place.

Go Mitch!!

AFLCA GARY AYRES AWARD FOR BEST PLAYER IN FINALS
PORT ADELAIDE v RICHMOND
10 Dustin Martin (RICH)
6 Toby Nankervis (RICH)
4 Dan Houston (PORT)
3 Trent Cotchin (RICH)
3 Kane Lambert (RICH)
2 Tom Jonas (PORT)
2 Shai Bolton (RICH)

BRISBANE v GEELONG
10 Mitch Duncan (GEEL)