Club Focus Collingwood 2020 - Henry, Macrae, McInnes, Poulter, McMahon, McCreery

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 Collingwood club focus thread
In what day and age do you essentially "fire" someone because their spouse is moving interstate for 12 months for another job? Do Collingwood not realise this happens every day in the real world?

Geoff Walsh just tipped more kero on. All this crap about about strengthening out draft possie. We got 14, a future 2nd and a couple of lartes and gave up 39 plus the 4 players. A joke

How do they not realise it would be so much better to just say that yes some of these decisions were to get our salary cap in a much better position moving forward, use that to talk about retaining and attracting players in the future and then maybe the draft a little bit...instead of straight up lying that they did this to get into the draft despite only getting pick 14 really and a future 2nd.

And he doesn't address the fact that it's huge unders for the players that went out. So infuriating.

GM Football speaking:

Holy hell they just seem like they don’t want to admit that for once the media narrative against them was completely right so they are trotting out the most see-through dogshit to hold the faith from their most loyal supporters.

This is Trump style, I reckon Eddie must be a big admirer.

I have this mental image of Ned Guy with a Excel spreadsheet whose did a =SUM(C2:C40) function, added Brody Mihocek, Darcy Moore and Jordan Ge Goey to C41-43 and been like "See we are still inside the cap". Then the new guy changes C40 to C43 hits Enter and Neds like

200.gif

So yesterday while watching all of this unfold, I reworked Billie Eilish's 'Bad Guy' as it just seemed to write itself. Posted in the Collingwood forums already but I feel like it should be shared here too. Enjoy.

So I am Ned Guy
Love to hand out cash guy
Huge contracts for trash guy
No deal we can't hash guy
I'm that mad type
Makin' Buckley sad type
Cap space getting mad tight
Might drop half the list type
I'm the Ned Guy, duh

Collingwoods trade period was kind of like a blackjack player splitting 6s against a A getting 2 16s, staying then asking the dealer if he can still double down on his 16s because he feels confident in winning, Dealer says no, the dealer turning over a J for 21 and Collingwood being like "Well we could have lost more so we did well"

I have this mental image of Ned Guy with a Excel spreadsheet whose did a =SUM(C2:C40) function, added Brody Mihocek, Darcy Moore and Jordan Ge Goey to C41-43 and been like "See we are still inside the cap". Then the new guy changes C40 to C43 hits Enter and Neds like

200.gif

he didn't realize the excel column that that little ******* green arrow.

right click fix formula …uh oh.

Salary cap issues is one thing but this has been an unmitigated PR disaster from prior to the start of the trade period where rumours about Treloar started circling to Ned Guy's absolutely woeful interview on Fox after it finished.

I can't see how this trade period could have gone worse for Collingwood.

Ned Guy didn't help in his interview.....

Reckons there is no Salary cap issues but when DK asked him why they are paying significant parts of players wages (Treloar reportedly 300k a year) to leave he said he wont talk about it.

very odd and would be pretty unsettling for Collingwood fans to hear the guy dodge questions like that.

he didn't realize the excel column that that little ******* green arrow.

right click fix formula …uh oh.

I can also see Ned being like

Ned- "God damn it, who left Dayne Beams on the sheet, he is no longer in our team anymore"
New Guy - "Yes Ned, but we are still paying him 500,000 dollars next year so he still counts on our salary list"

1605225591082.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ned Guy didn't help in his interview.....

Reckons there is no Salary cap issues but when DK asked him why they are paying significant parts of players wages (Treloar reportedly 300k a year) to leave he said he wont talk about it.

very odd and would be pretty unsettling for Collingwood fans to hear the guy dodge questions like that.

If there's no salary cap issues then that makes the period much worse because they've effectively landed a mid range 1st rounder for Stephenson, Treloar, Phillips and Bosenavulagi. That's flat out embarrassing value for money if everything else is equal.

I don't know what's wrong with coming out and saying "yep, we ****ed the list management a bit in terms of the salary cap, but we've bitten the bullet and long term we'll be better off". Trying to spin it as some sort of masterplan to get into the draft is the most obviously transparent BS I've ever seen and treating supporters like idiots.

I'm sure they are also asking "Where the * is the President?"

Faintest sniff of a problem of any kind at 17 other Clubs and McGuire is out there abusing his media presence, beating drums and demanding both answers and heads to roll.

And the coach? Two tweets in 10 days, both exonerating himself.

There's a core of Pies fans out there who are hardly brain surgeons, but most of them can work out this stinks to high heaven.

I'm sure they are also asking "Where the fu** is the President?"

Faintest sniff of a problem of any kind at 17 other Clubs and McGuire is out there abusing his media presence, beating drums and demanding both answers and heads to roll.

And the coach? Two tweets in 10 days, both exonerating himself.

There's a core of Pies fans out there who are hardly brain surgeons, but most of them can work out this stinks to high heaven.

Brodie Grundy would be pretty worried imo. Poor 2020 season on a 7 year million dollar deal or whatever it was.

if he sucks again in 2021 he would be very very worried.

Brodie Grundy would be pretty worried imo. Poor 2020 season on a 7 year million dollar deal or whatever it was.

Why? He’s contracted. If anything it’s good for him because regardless of how he plays he’s guaranteed massive money for the next 7 years.

He is untradeable with that massive contract.

And there it is, the final nail in Collingwood's coffin:

“The way they went about it kind of hurt,” Treloar told reporters. “I wish I could have finished my career at Collingwood, that’s the honest truth."

“They were adamant that they had to move me on ... they genuinely thought I wasn’t going to manage being away from my family.”

Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley had previously denied a report claiming he called Treloar and told him senior Collingwood players no longer wanted him at the club. However, Treloar confirmed that conversation, but said he didn’t believe it and suggested the Magpies were saying anything they could to make him leave.

“That was told to me in no uncertain way. That hurt,” Treloar said. “To be told that when I don’t think that’s the truth ... that hurts.”

“I think anything was going to be said to move me on.”

Why? He’s contracted. If anything it’s good for him because regardless of how he plays he’s guaranteed massive money for the next 7 years.
He is untradeable with that massive contract.

Oh, I don't know about that. If recent history is anything to go by, the Pies will trade him out for a third rounder and pay $300k of his salary. Okay, so he'll still cost $700k per year, but he's a top 3 ruckman. Swans, Bombers, and anyone else needing a quality ruck should be all over that asap.

And there it is, the final nail in Collingwood's coffin:

“The way they went about it kind of hurt,” Treloar told reporters. “I wish I could have finished my career at Collingwood, that’s the honest truth."

“They were adamant that they had to move me on ... they genuinely thought I wasn’t going to manage being away from my family.”

Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley had previously denied a report claiming he called Treloar and told him senior Collingwood players no longer wanted him at the club. However, Treloar confirmed that conversation, but said he didn’t believe it and suggested the Magpies were saying anything they could to make him leave.

“That was told to me in no uncertain way. That hurt,” Treloar said. “To be told that when I don’t think that’s the truth ... that hurts.”

“I think anything was going to be said to move me on.”

Wow not sure Buckley can survive this.

That's pretty much what I said on twitter this morning.

Supporters are quite willing to forgive (at least in my experience...) if the club owns their mistakes, apologises to their members and/or players and do what they can to make it right.

Football clubs going the way of politicians...spin, more spin, more bullsh1t.

Fans are being treated as idiots in this case. Politicians taking us for idiots in almost all cases.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back