Unofficial Preview 2020 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never been a year that early talent identification is more valuable. Still think we could possibly grab a bargain or two late if we see massive upside in a player we believe would have come on strong this year.

Will. Stop it

I have warmed so much to Phillips. I don't think we can lose with any of Phillips, DGB or Hollands.
Literally my only knock on Phillips has been his height, but then I have to remember that Maginness could well shape to be the bigger bodied inside mid that we're after.

For me DGB is the least appealing of the three but even he has extreme upside.

Do you have any reasons why Henry is better? What games have you watched him play?
Zero games - haven't even knowingly watched his highlights, unless he was in the background of the highlights of another player that I have watched.

And I didn't say he was better - I have read you guys talking about him but I couldn't even tell you what State he's from or what end he plays at.

I just know that no player would ever go top 4 (let alone live embarrassment free) if they had to win every single contest against (apparently) lesser players every single time.

I have included pick 24 for reference as it’s part of the equation. Just based in these selections, you would say 10, 13, 15 combined is better value than 4.

4: Lachie Ash
10: Tom Green
13: Will Day
15: Cody Weightman
24: Harry Schoenberg

4: Max King
10: nick Blakey
13: Isaac Quaynor
15: Jordan Clark
24: Bobby Hill

4: Luke Davies-Uniacke
10: Lochie O’Brien
13: Jarrod Brander
15: Zac Bailey
24: Tim Kelly

4: Ben Ainsworth
10: Jack Bowes
13: Daniel Venables
15: Jordan Galluci
24: Cedric Cox

4: Clayton Oliver
10: Harry McKay
13: Matthew Kennedy
15: Harry Himmelberg
24: Ben Keays

4: Jarrod Pickett
10: Nakia Cockatoo
13: Lachie Weller
15: Jarrod Garlett
24: Jack Steele

4: Marcus Bontempelli
10: Nathan Freeman
13: Patrick Cripps
15: Zak Jones
24: Billy Hartung

4: Jimmy Toumpas
10: Joe Daniher
13: Jesse Lonergan
15: Taylor Garner
24: Nathan Wright

4: Will Hoskins-Elliott
10: Liam Sumner
13: Taylor Adams
15: Brandon Ellis
24: henry schade

Great analysis except we won't be picking with #4 it will more likely be #6 after bids for JUH and Campbell. And you don't need to do the analysis on #6 as I can tell you its been a pretty shitty pick over the last 30 years

I was fine with it until I saw that DGB wears 36.
Avoid

Didn't Lake wear #36 before he came to us?

I think the curse is more to do with who we give the #36 to not what a prospective player wears before they come to the Hawks.

Another 2.5 weeks of speculation to go, that should only be another 700-800 posts in this thread.
And to think that any of us have a clue as to what Macca and Wright have in mind.

Just more pages of setting ourselves up for melting should they not land on the player we want.

Another 2.5 weeks of speculation to go, that should only be another 700-800 posts in this thread.
Yep.

I read that some recruiters say that North are very keen on Holland’s.

In some ways it makes it easy for us to grab who out of DGB, Phillips, or anyone who slides a fraction is left.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you have any reasons why Henry is better? What games have you watched him play?
I think it's more that your argument is so reductionist. If it was as simple as "player x got beat by player y, where player y isn't as noteworthy of a player therefore player x BAD" then the draft pool would be all of half a person a decade.
Henry has a lot of upside and has been constantly mentioned as a top 15 player, in a year where we have seen bugger all of most of the pool it wouldn't be surprising to see him go at four, as it would to see him go at 14, or 24.
From the footage I've seen, he could be a top four pick, especially if he had had a year to develop on what he has shown previously.

I think it's more that your argument is so reductionist. If it was as simple as "player x got beat by player y, where player y isn't as noteworthy of a player therefore player x BAD" then the draft pool would be all of half a person a decade.
Henry has a lot of upside and has been constantly mentioned as a top 15 player, in a year where we have seen bugger all of most of the pool it wouldn't be surprising to see him go at four, as it would to see him go at 14, or 24.
From the footage I've seen, he could be a top four pick, especially if he had had a year to develop on what he has shown previously.

My argument was reduced to this because I've seen Henry play whole games (not just highlights) where he looks out of place and does bugger all.

I don't think most scouts would even consider him top 10 let alone top 5. I believe the assertion that Henry is a top five pick is because we surprised everyone with Will Day last year.

We got Day in a completely different part of the draft. It was an essy choice if you looked at the players in last years draft, Day was the best two sided player in the draft. Just goes to show how dumb these guys are to have him slip.

This year I would say Hollands is easily the best two sided player in the draft, even better than Day.

My argument was reduced to this because I've seen Henry play whole games (not just highlights) where he looks out of place and does bugger all.

I don't think most scouts would even consider him top 10 let alone top 5. I believe the assertion that Henry is a top five pick is because we surprised everyone with Will Day last year.

We got Day in a completely different part of the draft. It was an essy choice if you looked at the players in last years draft, Day was the best two sided player in the draft. Just goes to show how dumb these guys are to have him slip.

This year I would say Hollands is easily the best two sided player in the draft, even better than Day.
Do you rate Cox as a good 2 sided player?

Highlights show that he is by foot, but seems to have a preferred hand for handball (this is normal though isn't it?).

I've only seen the YouTube highlights but love the way he moves & reckon he could be a rebounding CHB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back