Unofficial Preview 2020 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hale and Roughhead are pretty different players. I'd be happy with a Roughie for pick 4, but a Hale.

Yeah i'm not saying that a David Hale ceiling is the ideal scenario for a pick 4, BUT, if we land a genuine gun ruck in the next 2 off-seasons to tandem with a Thillthorpe then a Hale type is a perfectly acceptable result if you consider our next decade as a football club.

Thillthorpe to me (at least from the highlights i've seen and nothing else) looks more like a Kruezer/Hale type than a Roughead.

In saying that i'm personally hoping for a mid with our first selection. Bruhn has missed a lot of footy but the genuine class made apparent in his highlight type is something we do need. If we passed on Thillthorpe (if he was available) for Tanner then I wouldn't be mad.

I've not read the whole thread but will work on that. Although there are some highly rated Fwds early on I'd go for Phillips. We need more inside mids to spread the load and build depth. I see McGuiness, Day and Downie if we get him as better value on the outside/Wing. These guys along with Tom Philips and Scully should provide full coverage of outside mids. If Will Philips is gone then next best rated.
I cannot imagine we need pure mids, it is a struggle just to fit Mitchell and Worpel, some say Worpel being wasted this year, then try to add McGuiness, still have JOM, Shiels, Wingard. Sure few of them McGuiness/JOM/Wingard maybe part time inside Mids but nevertheless still alot of coverage along with cousins.

Yeah i'm not saying that a David Hale ceiling is the ideal scenario for a pick 4, BUT, if we land a genuine gun ruck in the next 2 off-seasons to tandem with a Thillthorpe then a Hale type is a perfectly acceptable result if you consider our next decade as a football club.

Thillthorpe to me (at least from the highlights i've seen and nothing else) looks more like a Kruezer/Hale type than a Roughead.

In saying that i'm personally hoping for a mid with our first selection. Bruhn has missed a lot of footy but the genuine class made apparent in his highlight type is something we do need. If we passed on Thillthorpe (if he was available) for Tanner then I wouldn't be mad.
I don’t think he looks like a Roughead, just see him playing a similar role - agile key forward who can pinch elsewhere. His actual size and movement seems very Kreuzer like I agree

Our chances of moving up the draft board just improved significantly
Ok it cut off the bit I wanted but it explains that teams can now use as many picks as they want to match bids. Making our 3 picks in the 40’s much more desirable to a club with an academy player before us

Ok it cut off the bit I wanted but it explains that teams can now use as many picks as they want to match bids. Making our 3 picks in the 40’s much more desirable to a club with an academy player before us
I figured it makes our picks less desirable.

Previously clubs couldn't stockpile picks & our picks would be valuable to them. Now they can stockpile their own & so the need for our picks has decreased

I actually don't know too much about Tanner- does anyone have some info on him?
IIRC he's a good kick on both foot but I don't know much else.
He was pick of the crop when all these guys were Under 16’s. 2 games in 2 years makes him a hard one to rate right now. Definitely as talented if not more than the so called big 5 (academies aside).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I figured it makes our picks less desirable.

Previously clubs couldn't stockpile picks & our picks would be valuable to them. Now they can stockpile their own & so the need for our picks has decreased
Yeah actually I didn’t take into account that they could have more picks than spots aslong as they were used on matching and it takes out those picks. My bad

Yeah actually I didn’t take into account that they could have more picks than spots aslong as they were used on matching and it takes out those picks. My bad
I'm not saying that you're incorrect or I'm correct - it's just that I saw it working differently.

Truth is that none of us quite know how it'll play out.

I'm not saying that you're incorrect or I'm correct - it's just that I saw it working differently.

Truth is that none of us quite know how it'll play out.
I just saw the change and assumed it would be to undermine us. We clearly stockpiled this draft to be able to sell to other clubs who needed points to match.

I just saw the change and assumed it would be to undermine us. We clearly stockpiled this draft to be able to sell to other clubs who needed points to match.
I had exactly the same thought...

North selecting Hollands makes zero sense when taking into account the lose of Ben Brown
Swans selecting DGB makes sense given Aliir Aliir traded.
Crows selecting Hollands is strange, only because of his ACL, their lack of talls.

Hawks need both talls & midfielders but given the climate (inc. next years draft) , I think we go tall - McDonald will be gone ; DBG prob be gone ; Thilthorpe prob available.......so looks like it may be Thilthorpe ***

*** Disclaimer: ONLY if Hollands is available at our pick, do I think we will pull the trigger & choose Hollands - with a view to live trading to get another tall - Reid, Callow, Cox....

North selecting Hollands makes zero sense when taking into account the lose of Ben Brown
Crows selecting Hollands is strange, only because of his ACL, their lack of talls.

Hawks need both talls & midfielders but given the climate (inc. next years draft) , I think we go tall - McDonald will be gone ; DBG prob be gone ; Thilthorpe prob available.......so looks like it may be Thilthorpe ***

*** Disclaimer: ONLY if Hollands is available at our pick, do I think we will pull the trigger & choose Hollands - with a view to live trading to get another tall - Reid, Callow, Cox....
I cannot see North passing on the tall with Brown leaving. Would be a horrific call by them.

I cannot see North passing on the tall with Brown leaving. Would be a horrific call by them.
They're really not immune to horrific calls though so...

I mean like to the extent that they'll change their name when they move to Tasmania & become the Tasmania Horrifics.

Phillips is another midfielder similar to the three main midfielders we already have. Yes he's a good accumulator, etc, that seemingly can only play one position, he's not an elite kick nor does he offer size.

Still would love to have him if Hollands is not available, but Hollands is a big point of difference. He's an elite kick on both sides and is bigger

Phillips is another midfielder similar to the three main midfielders we already have. Yes he's a good accumulator, etc, that seemingly can only play one position, he's not an elite kick nor does he offer size.

Still would love to have him if Hollands is not available, but Hollands is a big point of difference. He's an elite kick on both sides and is bigger
Could Phillips not play/rest FP with his pace & aggression?

It'd be kinda tough as he'd never actually get to rest... but I think he'd be effective down there.

I like what I've read about Callow as someone that should be available at our second (or even third) pick. Huge kid close to 100kg but wasn't just bullying kids with his size. Good write-ups on his agility and work with the ball on the deck as well as ability to play either end.

The age draft story online now thinks North will take Holland’s and we will bid on Campbell

What if they think Hollands is the best player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back