Iconic moments in the history of the AFL - pick one

Remove this Banner Ad

Has to be Leo Barry

At the time I hated how close Sydney's finals moments were, specifically things like Leo Barry and Nick Davis as I wanted to win finals without having multiple heart attacks, but in hindsight the fact the games were so tight is what makes them memorable. If the 2005 Grand Final was not that tight a Leo Barry moment would not have been possible.

538550-3x2-940x627.jpg

From the AFL era, it would definitely need to be Leo Barry's mark in the 2005 grand final. Came out of nowhere to mark the ball in a huge pack, guaranteeing that a 72-year premiership drought ended seconds later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A magnificent running goal by Brisbane Lions captain Michael Voss midway through the last quarter of the 2001 Grand Final that sent Essendon to the canvas, leaving the Bombers with no chance of a comeback and sealing the first premiership for Brisbane as either the Lions or the Bears and Fitzroy since 1944.

Video of a Lebron James dunk just sold for $200,000+ (as if it was a painting). The owner now can claim theoretical "ownership" of that clip (but has no legal rights to it's use). Selling iconic clips/moments of sport is a dumb, millennial money making venture.

But, in AFL, what short clips of footage through history would be most valuable, or would you want to own if you could for personal reasons:

My favorite clip is the side on view of Liam Jurrah's screamer. I think it is the AFL's equivalent of Jordan's dunk from the foul-line. (apologies to Morecroft).

Moorcroft's is probably worth more due to his mark coming from a kick by Scott Lucas on his right foot. Yep, his right foot. Possibly the only time that has been caught on film!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back