Iconic moments in the history of the AFL - pick one

Remove this Banner Ad

We all remember where we were the day Brett Kirk spoke these words of wisdom. I still get emotional reading this all these years later, a truely iconic moment.
“Thanks Basil. I just want to give you a bit of an insight into the Saturday afternoon team. We’re a bunch of unique individuals – Malthouse, Harley, Zempilas, McLachlan and myself. We’re gonna engage with our minds and our hearts. We’re gonna exchange ideas, thoughts and even our energy. And to speak from your heart you need to have courage. You need to be honest and authentic. We’re not always gonna get it right. And sometimes, you’re not going to agree with us. But that’s okay, because just like you we care. Just like you, we’re passionate about the game. So if you want to come along for the ride, join us on Saturday arvos, because we just love the footy.”

1610865147964_54ea4551a0aba840601425eff5929731.jpeg

We all remember where we were the day Brett Kirk spoke these words of wisdom. I still get emotional reading this all these years later, a truely iconic moment.
“Thanks Basil. I just want to give you a bit of an insight into the Saturday afternoon team. We’re a bunch of unique individuals – Malthouse, Harley, Zempilas, McLachlan and myself. We’re gonna engage with our minds and our hearts. We’re gonna exchange ideas, thoughts and even our energy. And to speak from your heart you need to have courage. You need to be honest and authentic. We’re not always gonna get it right. And sometimes, you’re not going to agree with us. But that’s okay, because just like you we care. Just like you, we’re passionate about the game. So if you want to come along for the ride, join us on Saturday arvos, because we just love the footy.”
I felt this in my loins

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fu**, now you got his song "Suddenly" in my ******* head.
Give yourself an upper cut for inflicting that horrible vague memory of ever hearing it.

I should yes BUT
I used to love all the pre match stuff especially around the early 90s. Was always so excited in the build up.
Not much I loved during the games itself haha. Multiple hawk flags and even more losing by the cats.

Dean Laidley deserves a mention, tough as nails small defender who earned the nic name of junk yard dog, then we find out he wanted to be a chick, massive iconic story for mine.

The VFL goes national in 1987 with expansion teams from Perth and Brisbane...

a_250711sptlockyer_1b0sbma-1b0sbmd.jpg

... and just 4 years later, the West Coast Eagles finish on top of the ladder and win their way through to the 1991 Grand Final.

Huge moment for the game.

Much bigger than the Angry Anderson & Batmobile half time entertainment.

I'm not sure if it was due to being at Waverly but one of the least memorable on field GFs I can remember from the last 40 years.

I'm not sure if it was due to being at Waverly but one of the least memorable on field GFs I can remember from the last 40 years.

That and with the eagles style of play at the time the moment it was going to be a wet weather match we were cooked.

For mine while i don't know how to load clips the time the umpire marked the ball was pretty surreal and something i'll never forget.

That's just repeated narrative from the media... Mainly because it wasn't a 1 point thriller and because "boring Hawthorn" won their 5th flag in 9 years. The narky jealous people wanted to forget it ever happened. (Similar to our 3peat in 2013-14-15)

It was actually a good game, albeit one-sided by the end. Good quality football between two genuine heavyweights. The Eagles kicked out to a 4 goal lead in the first quarter. Hawthorn dominated the 2nd term and went into halftime with a 10 point lead. West Coast threw the kitchen sink at Hawthorn in a goal-for-goal 3rd quarter when both teams kicked 5 apiece. Still a 10 point margin at 3/4 time. Then in the last quarter, Hawthorn went nuts and kicked 8.4 to 1.3

Even with my Hawk bias aside, I've sat though plenty of worse Grand Finals than '91

But all this is besides the point. It was a memorable iconic moment because for the first time ever, a non-Victorian was contesting the Grand Final.
The entire state of WA came to a standstill and were barracking for the Eagles - even non footy fans.

It was a watershed moment for our national competition, even if it didn't go to script.

That's just repeated narrative from the media... Mainly because it wasn't a 1 point thriller and because "boring Hawthorn" won their 5th flag in 9 years. The narky jealous people wanted to forget it ever happened. (Similar to our 3peat in 2013-14-15)
OR it might just be his genuine view as a football fan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back