Player Watch Will Kelly (Delisted 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

There does seem to be some athletes more prone to breaks. Is that more due to technique than bone strength? Or just luck?
Essentially all strength athletes will have good bones. There will be some differences , say Jaidyn Stephenson compared to an All Black front rower. No one however is likely to have bones that break unless significant trauma is involved.

Running back into packs, leaving yourself open in contested situations etc etc will give you more chance of running into major trauma so any "tendency" would be explained by that.

Female endurance athletes with low body mass often turn off their cycles and have low oestrogen levels. That gives a tendency to drop bone mineral density and with chronic low grade trauma e.g running long distances every day on hard surfaces makes them more prone to stress fractures.

Of course long term repeditive activities can lead to stress fractures without the low oestrogen e.g fast bowlers

Essentially all strength athletes will have good bones. There will be some differences , say Jaidyn Stephenson compared to an All Black front rower. No one however is likely to have bones that break unless significant trauma is involved.

Running back into packs, leaving yourself open in contested situations etc etc will give you more chance of running into major trauma so any "tendency" would be explained by that.
So basically the one thing that I really like about Kelly and cheer him for, that he looks like he's fearless in the air, is probably a big reason why.

Collarbones are spacers more than they are there for structural integrity. Nobody has a strong collarbone, the kid was unlucky... again. 🙁

Of course long term repeditive activities can lead to stress fractures without the low oestrogen e.g fast bowlers
Fast bowlers is probably the reason why I had my bullshit belief.

Would it have been a technical change that caused blokes like Cummins and Johnson to change from appearing to be glass and then becoming teak in terms of stress fractures? Or perhaps they just learn to bowl within themselves and their bodies limitations rather than always going flat out?

Fast bowlers is probably the reason why I had my bullshit belief.

Would it have been a technical change that caused blokes like Cummins and Johnson to change from appearing to be glass and then becoming teak in terms of stress fractures? Or perhaps they just learn to bowl within themselves and their bodies limitations rather than always going flat out?
Beyond my expertise but I would guess a combo of technique change and specific exercise programs

Back in the day DKL was a young tearaway early days but after back issues toned it down and changed technique. Mind you he could still hurt them when required

Collarbones are spacers more than they are there for structural integrity. Nobody has a strong collarbone, the kid was unlucky... again. 🙁
Bloody hell Jathanas. Most of my friends broke a collarbone when I was a kid. I didn't and always thought it was because mine were really manly and strong, but it turns out I was just a whoosy who avoided impact collisions

He does seem to throw himself into contests with no concern for his own body or any idea of where opponents are.

Whilst it's brave, he won't play much footy if he gets himself polaxed every 2nd game by running full pace backwards into packs.

He does seem to throw himself into contests with no concern for his own body or any idea of where opponents are.

Whilst it's brave, he won't play much footy if he gets himself polaxed every 2nd game by running full pace backwards into packs.
I'm sure this has been mentioned Kap but that kick did him no favors. Sat it 5 metres over his head instead of in front of him or on his chest.

True definition of a hospital pass.

Just like Callum's dad, you wonder how developed the guy's instinct for self preservation is... I already love the kid.

I suspect you're too young, but did you ever see Mark Harvey play? How that bloke had a long career is beyond me.

If he had repeated shoulder, concussion or knee injuries then there’s cause for concern. Freak elbow and collarbone injuries completely unrelated to each other are nothing but bad luck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collarbones are spacers more than they are there for structural integrity. Nobody has a strong collarbone, the kid was unlucky... again.
In terms of force required per unit area, the collarbone is supposed to be the easiest bone in the body to break. Not sure if whoever came up with that ever tried to break one of those tiny bones in your skull, or your inner ear! But yes, easy to break die to trauma.

We just need them all to drink more Malk with Vitamin R.

Was there any official report today about what his injury was?
Its pretty clear its a broken collarbone. Bucks said last night, and a few reports. Had surgery last night. We just won't know til next week I'd say the length. Will it be 4-6 weeks, or 6-8 weeks. In any case, there are still 2 weeks left of pre-season, so he might only miss a month of games.

Though I saw Roughy this morning who was like "They'll put a plate in it and he'll be back in 3 weeks" That's a little too optimistic I'd say

Disappointing to see Will follow in my hoofsteps here. At least his injury was 100% less horse related.

I hope this is not the start of a trend for Will.

In terms of force required per unit area, the collarbone is supposed to be the easiest bone in the body to break. Not sure if whoever came up with that ever tried to break one of those tiny bones in your skull, or your inner ear! But yes, easy to break die to trauma.

Also pretty easy to break at birth. Usually not picked up til the mum notices the callus (lump of healing bone) few weeks later

1615072246792.gif

Disappointing to see Will follow in my hoofsteps here. At least his injury was 100% less horse related.

I hope this is not the start of a trend for Will.

Did ponies rush to your aid when you suffered your broken collarbone?

1615077720823.png

Did ponies rush to your aid when you suffered your broken collarbone?

View attachment 1071840

No, they danced around and laughed as ponies are known to do.

I bet your mate LFP was laughing too.

That should be a permaban for ponies, trolling injuries and all. I trust you can take care of it.

I drink lots of milk and my finger nails grow like buggery. Do you think it will help bones too?

No, they danced around and laughed as ponies are known to do.

I bet your mate LFP was laughing too.

That should be a permaban for ponies, trolling injuries and all. I trust you can take care of it.

LFP would not have danced and laughed at your plight!

He might have giggled a bit but only if he was suffering the effects of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. WE all know how terrible this affliction is and it makes him very grumpy.

People feed him apples which cause the debilitating symptoms and he lacks the willpower to refuse.

EDIT: My experience with recovery times for broken collarbones is around 6 weeks give or take a week or 2. I'm hoping the impact suffered by Will did not cause AC separation as that will likely complicate his recovery.

LFP_IMG_20200427_160218.jpg

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back