Review Dees v Norf and the Ghost of 1965 - the Good, Bad and Ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

What point are you trying to make?

lots of key forwards don’t get much ball. Particularly on the way back from a string of injuries over the past 18 months.

A millimetre away from three goals too. on a bad day.

I swear most of you get your kicks by trying to be as alt as possible. At least topkent backs his opinions up with a bit of analysis

Buy me a lab and I'll give you all the analysis you want you stupid campaigner

Good
Winning - I’ll take frustrating wins over embarrassing losses, fanks.

2019 draft - * me this may have set up the club. Jackson & Pickett were huge today and Rivers is a player for a big moment.

McDonald - was kind of ****ed over twice, first with the selection of Brown, then with the injury to Tomlinson and still managed a pretty solid game.

Fritsch - played a real finishers game, well done.

Jordon - no frills, but he goes about his business well.

Bad
So many players seemed to phone it in today. ******* terrible. The whole midfield bar Jordon, Jackson and Langdon can GAGF.

Selection - shouldn’t have messed with team chemistry and balance, IMO - picking Brown messed with that.

Baker - just not AFL standard

Fugly
Tomlinson’s injury - poor campaigner.

That weird feeling of rage, comfort and sadness at halftime.

Plenty of mediocre today.

The GOOD:

- James Jordan, got more of an opportunity in the middle and took it
- Fritta, McDonald down back, Kozzie, Dogga, May, Salem
- Clarry's second half

The BAD/UGLY:

- Melk looked off, big time
- Brayshaw, I've defended him getting mediocre numbers when he's been clean & disciplined, today was a poor day
- ANB, similar to Brayshaw, runs on the board but a shocker today
- Trac/Gawn, zero influence
- Tommo, feel for the big fella, I've done mine before and it's not fun

Well done. The Dees flirted a bit with a few things, but experience & fitness was always going to come on and the game went forward.
We're still learning a bit about this team and the optimal setup. Definitely noticed some flirting with over handball though and cheap options.

Having the option of swinging McDonald back is massive in the scheme of things.

Your boys are young and not at peak fitness but we were in 2nd gear up to half time. Keeping your boys to 2 goals in the 2nd half (after they hit the ground running) the main highlight for me I think.

Big chance for a North win next week, glad it wasn't against us.

We're still learning a bit about this team and the optimal setup. Definitely noticed some flirting with over handball though and cheap options.

Having the option of swinging McDonald back is massive in the scheme of things.

Goodwin flirted with a few things, but he rectified the matter at half time. He knew our kids would slow up and set out to spread us at every opportunity.

We got opened up a few times down the middle also.

It succeeded.

Your boys are young and not at peak fitness but we were in 2nd gear up to half time. Keeping your boys to 2 goals (after they hit the ground running) the main highlight for me I think.

Big chance for a North win next week, glad it wasn't against us.

Pretty much how I saw it mate. We're a couple of years development away yet. Still, you can see a decent side unfolding.

As for the Pies, they run pretty hard. It won't be easy. I'm just happy to be competitive in every game from now on, even of we do go 0-22.

Good luck for the rest of the year, as your best footy puts you right in the contender frame.

Goodwin flirted with a few things, but he rectified the matter at half time. He knew our kids would slow up and set out to spread us at every opportunity.

Pretty much how I saw it mate. We're a couple of years development away yet. Still, you can see a decent side unfolding.

As for the Pies, they run pretty hard. It won't be easy. I'm just happy to be competitive in every game from now on, even of we do go 0-22.

Good luck for the rest of the year, as your best footy puts you right in the contender frame.

You've got some talented smalls/mids, need some class up forward and some support tall back/forward but you can see the bones are there.

Game style will hold up too once you're fit enough to maintain it.

Reckon today was the perfect storm of us playing really flat and pressure-less footy, North actually playing very well + the bizarro venue of Hobart. I’d absolutely take the win and hope it was just a down week for us.

In the end, we’re 7-0 and who would’ve thought we’d be top of the ladder by round 8, fantastic stuff. I’m confident we’ll show more against Sydney, just relieved we got the line today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You've got some talented smalls/mids, need some class up forward and some support tall back/forward but you can see the bones are there.

Game style will hold up too once you're fit enough to maintain it.

The break down of our half forward line after half time was telling. I dunno what Noble is supposed to be achieving with this set up, but it's hard to maintain for 4 quarters when it's so focused on pace. Still, a lot of our inexperience is focused in that area.

The old blokes made me proud today. Cunners went full scale thug against what I view as the hardest midfield in the comp (minus Viney, admittedly), and I thought Goldy shaded big Max for a change this time.

the break down of our half forward line after half time was telling. I dunno what Noble is supposed to be achieving with this set up, but it's hard to maintain for 4 quarters when it's so focused on pace.
Plenty to like about you guys though, and I certainly was looking for reasons to put you down. Simpkin and Turner are both very clever mids and you smacked us basically 360 around the stoppages/contests all day. Plus Powell is a beauty and the forward group really has a crack and makes the most of limited opportunities.

Nick Riewoldt and David King already writing us off after Tomlinsons injury.

Would rather this than them talking us up ad nauseam. Geez Riewoldt doesn't like Melbourne.
it’s fun though, in spite of appearances everyone in footy wanted us to get scalped today, you can see it in the desperation. More reason to stick it up them.

Nick Riewoldt and David King already writing us off after Tomlinsons injury.

Would rather this than them talking us up ad nauseam. Geez Riewoldt doesn't like Melbourne.

Riewoldt is the AFL version of a Ken doll, and Kingy has fried his brain from too many pots.

BTW, hard luck for the kid (Tomlinson). The Dees are going to have to look hard at the MSD to replace him.

Pretty frustrating for much of that match. I was seriously worried for us for 2/3 of it.

I know being at the game is a different view of things, which is both helpful and unhelpful in certain ways, but from where I was sitting:

Good: Not too many, but:
Salem was solid.
Fritsch obviously.
Hunt, Spargo ok contributors.
Jones was important, reliable, didn't panic.
May good in the 2nd half.
Clarry not bad in the second half.
Tmac actually looked a bit like Tomlinson when he went down back.

Bad: 2/3 of them.
Gawn and Petracca looked slow and disinterested today. No fire from them at all, which is a problem because that's their job as captain and best player.
Brown looked a bit off the pace, but probably understandable given it's his first game back and nobody in our midfield kicks to a lead (yet). They were dropping it on his head when he's never played that way. If they want to persist with Brown, they are going to have to drill some different delivery for Brown. I don't think it was all on Brown.
Gus: honestly, he needs to be dropped. Does nothing. Good bloke or not.

Fugly: Tomlinson going down.

Our game style was absent for a lot of the match. The chases were lazy. The tackles didn't quite stick, The swarming numbers didn't happen. Viney's frantic effort was missed. The pressure to keep it in the forward 50 wasn't there. It just didn't look anything like what happened last week against Richmond. I'm glad we won and all, but it wasn't a particularly enjoyable victory.

I think North played as well as they possibly can, and we could have potentially dropped that game, so I consider us lucky to have got out of that one. Our superior fitness in the last quarter was an obvious advantage. They were spent towards the end, but we were only just getting going. Maybe a hangover from the Richmond game.

Good: Fritta in general. I like him in the glove - I feel like it makes him channel Brad Green and kick straighter. Kossie and Dogga were terrific. Oliver’s second half was fantastic.

Bad: Oliver’s first half wasn’t fantastic.

Ugly: Gerard Healy. If the nation wants to show they take mental health seriously he must be stopped. 10 minutes of him tops and I start wondering whether to put my head in a blender.

Also poor Adam. That just sucks

Today was awful but having seen to many s**t losses over the years I’d much rather s**t wins like today, our top 6 couldn’t be that bad 2 weeks in a row hopefully.

1st v 4th at the G next week and Melbourne are one of them, didn’t see that coming at the start of the year, Thomlinson injury is a heartbreaker,but clubs in a great spot at 7 zip

Leaving aside the scoreboard today was the first time on the eye test that we really looked like losing this year. Had patches of awful play in every single quarter. That first half of the last quarter was our worst of the day I think before North kicked that goal, just had no conviction at all to make something happen even when we were finally able to control possession, and we went from finally having some momentum late in the thirds to being totally in our shells and it took conceding one to wake back up. Structures kept breaking down all day, we continually tried to over-possesses the ball and make low percentage plays. Ironically I think there was more to learn from today than any of our losses in the Goodwin era. Truly a bizarre performance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back