Autopsy Geelong Loses to Swans by 2 points - Rd 7, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Completely agree on Narkle. He is being set up to fail. He is a poor defensive player and that is not going to change and he simply will not survive in this Geelong team in that role.

He is however one the cleanest one touch players we have, great in traffic and creative. Why isn’t he played at half forward where creativity and composure is a massive advantage?

It drives me absolutely insane watching his career go to waste.
I'm not sure you survive at half forward if you're a poor defensive player either, though.

That you can win in these stats and still lose devalues their relevance for me. There a lot of stats you can study and record... and at the best they are indicative of a chance to win. Better to have them than not, but I suspect there are numbers and other stats within thos e stats that may tell a different tale. How boundary throw ins against West Coast and how many against the Swans? How many metres gains and how long did it take us to gain them ... on and on. For me ..if you are looking at the stats in Q2 thru Q4..and they say we are winning in the measurables, then Id say we are measuring the wrong things.
The expected score has Geelong winning comfortably. What those stats say is that we dominated the game but didn't take our opportunities in front of goal. That's it.

Care little for all the stats in the world. My eyes tell me he is defending his man well. That is all that matters, to that end he beat Papley yesterday

Imagine being concerned with the possession count of a lock down small defender. This is the problem with the "super coach" generation, simply no idea other than "get ball good".

I thought he showed a lot of promise last year when filling in as first ruck. Raw, but promising.

He got smashed in the hit outs worse then stanley. Averages only 6 hit outs a game and the most hit outs he had in a single game was 10. Where is the promise there of being first ruck? Stanley is having a bad hit out year and he is averaging 16 hit outs a game. Usually he averages over 20. How is sav who struggles to get even 10 hitouts once in a season going to in any way be a replacement for Stanley let alone a better one?

he ain’t playing as a ruck in the vfl by the way. He is playing as a foward.

Last edited:
You literally are the only cats fan in the country, emphasis on ONLY, advocating Hawkins be dropped.
Let that sink in, and what does it tell you?

I think it means you're backing the wrong horse.
You were the only Geelong fan advocating that zuthrie play. Let that sink in. What does that tell you? :):)

According to this jed bews impacted the game under 38 Z.Guthrie minutes.

Which sadly comes as no surprise

He tries really hard Bews and I love his defence good size at 91kg for example I believe Stewart is mid 80's.

The game is moving past the back pocket plumber though with all the new rules 666 if you cannot kick in the back half the game becomes very difficult if your not a key defender.

Kolo gets caught in the same boat excellent defence but decision making and deficiency by hand and foot let him down at times.

Henderson reasonable kick and mark although can't really defend anything lol.

You miss players like Harry Taylor only come around so often
Bews was awesome on offense. he was shimmying and Breaking lines.

one of the highlights

According to this jed bews impacted the game under 38 Z.Guthrie minutes.

Which sadly comes as no surprise

He tries really hard Bews and I love his defence good size at 91kg for example I believe Stewart is mid 80's.

The game is moving past the back pocket plumber though with all the new rules 666 if you cannot kick in the back half the game becomes very difficult if your not a key defender.

Kolo gets caught in the same boat excellent defence but decision making and deficiency by hand and foot let him down at times.

Henderson reasonable kick and mark although can't really defend anything lol.

You miss players like Harry Taylor only come around so often
Harry Taylor played like an old man since he got towelled up in the 2016 finals series.

henderson was A better player then him last year.

Care little for all the stats in the world. My eyes tell me he is defending his man well. That is all that matters, to that end he beat Papley yesterday
There is nothing more idiotic then a man who rejects stats and relies on his own observation.

You wouldn’t be able to remember more then 5 percent of a game even immediately after the game finishes. And that’s only if you were paying attention. Most people would only remember less then 2 percent. and then ofcourse there is our own personal bias. We focus on certain things and then mis others. I see every Blicavs poor disposal. Cos I’m biased to see it and then I probably overemphasise them.

There is nothing more idiotic then a man who rejects stats and relies on his own observation.

You wouldn’t be able to remember more then 5 percent of a game even immediately after the game finishes. And that’s only if you were paying attention. Most people would only remember less then 2 percent. and then ofcourse there is our own personal bias. We focus on certain things and then mis others. I see every Blicavs poor disposal. Cos I’m biased to see it and then I probably overemphasise them.
Why do you repeatedly make an effort to lecture me on ideology? I don’t give a s**t.

Numerous people here have attributed Bews having played well. A couple of wrong people have tried to misuse stats to refute that.

You were the only Geelong fan advocating that zuthrie play. Let that sink in. What does that tell you? :):)
That I still don’t give two hoots what you think Seeds. Go bother someone else and get the hint already

An answer from a person who knows he just got completely owned by his own logic.

i actually thought zuthrie played ok when he was on.
He has such a low bar, that “playing ok” is about as good as you can hope for. Seriously, if that is as good as it gets for him, why would you bother. Much rather get games into a youngster who actually has potential beyond “can sometimes play ok”.

Very, very clearly says 'not 15 play on' twice

Swans22 made himself look like a clown, he won’t be back here to discuss again. Why do supporters feel the need to post on opposition boards after a win anyway, never understand it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do you repeatedly make an effort to lecture me on ideology? I don’t give a sh*t.

Numerous people here have attributed Bews having played well. A couple of wrong people have tried to misuse stats to refute that.
Bews has been excellent but once Kolo and O’Connor return he may be under a little pressure. Do we really need both he and Atkins in the back half? As everyone on here repeatedly discuss, there are a lot of backs in the best 22. They have successfully moved a few of them around but still too many of them to fit into 6 or 7 spots.

None of it really matters in the end. The cats had so many opportunities to bury the game in the last quarter and failed. Well done to the swans hanging in there and scraping a win.
Never buy that 'we should have been well ahead' stuff. The reality is that the AFL wants a close competition, the TV wants close games, people who watch but aren't supporters want a close game. The second reality is that the standard of Umpiring is poor. Saturday nights decision cost us a game. Professional sport needs umpiring to match and meet. Right now it doesn't.

He got smashed in the hit outs worse then stanley. Averages only 6 hit outs a game and the most hit outs he had in a single game was 10. Where is the promise there of being first ruck? Stanley is having a bad hit out year and he is averaging 16 hit outs a game. Usually he averages over 20. How is sav who struggles to get even 10 hitouts once in a season going to in any way be a replacement for Stanley let alone a better one?

he ain’t playing as a ruck in the vfl by the way. He is playing as a foward.

I said he was raw, didn't say he would offer as much as Stanley immediately, and also made clear it would involve short term pain. So, given all that, your stats comparison is largely moot.

The potential is stuff like his excellent vertical and running leap, his lower body strength, surprisingly okay tap-work, agility and ability around the ground. He competed very well against Naitanui for a half. You know, things you can build on for that role.

Geelong has played some of its best football over the last few years when Stanley has been in form. Unfortunately, his form blows so hot and cold that speculation about other options is inevitable.

Last edited:
Never buy that 'we should have been well ahead' stuff. The reality is that the AFL wants a close competition, the TV wants close games, people who watch but aren't supporters want a close game. The second reality is that the standard of Umpiring is poor. Saturday nights decision cost us a game. Professional sport needs umpiring to match and meet. Right now it doesn't.

Disagree about close games; I'd rather good games. A top team playing to a high quality winning by 10 goals is way better for me than watching two moderate ones scratch out a hideous 2-point "thriller" or "classic".

The one thing I'll grant the umpires is that they could be acting under (insane) instruction. The way they've started shouting "not 15" absolutely instantly - before the ball has gone 1 metre, let alone 15 - tells me it's a directive. So I'll give them that if it's the case. No excuse for the administration though. There's nothing wrong with being a bit more prudent about how far the ball travels. But you need to actually see how far it goes first.

Disagree about close games; I'd rather good games. A top team playing to a high quality winning by 10 goals is way better for me than watching two moderate ones scratch out a hideous 2-point "thriller" or "classic".

The one thing I'll grant the umpires is that they could be acting under (insane) instruction. The way they've started shouting "not 15" absolutely instantly - before the ball has gone 1 metre, let alone 15 - tells me it's a directive. So I'll give them that if it's the case. No excuse for the administration though. There's nothing wrong with being a bit more prudent about how far the ball travels. But you need to actually see how far it goes first.
Good post. As much as the umpires s**t me a lot of the time, it would be a bloody hard game to umpire with the ever changing rules and interpretations.

Blues/Bombers game was very entertaining. Both teams have amazing young talent courtesy of having Top 10 picks in recent years. Lacking those picks we are forced to trading or unearthing hidden gems (remember Egan and Stokes. both picks in the 60's?), which is very hard to do.

Hence we have a lot of OK players - Bews, Atkins, Kolo and the like - in our bottom 6 who may be the difference between winning and losing a final.

Our best inside mid after Selwood is Parfitt, who is not in the same class. And so it goes on.

We can still compete if and when Danger, Esava and maybe Higgins and Simpson are fit and in form.

We do have a young talent in Clark, but he's the first one many here want to drop when we lose!! The team is full of mistake merchants so let's not pick on the youngest player in the team. Imagine watching the Cats play without him to provide some excitement.

I tend agree with you. lol, it's all we have to look forward too though. Fort is already 28 yrs of age and a journeyman at best.
All our other rucks are raw and need at least 3+ years of preseason work before they could become regular starters. By that time, the list is no longer a chance at finals.
Perhaps Ratugolea could just spark us in that department while we have one last shot at something.

I think in that case they stick with Stanley, and hope for his best form, which is better than anything else we have in the cupboard.

Sam DeKoning is possibly our future ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back