Analysis Good, Bad, Ugly v Port Adelaide Round 8 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

This is pure supposition... but assuming it's true, what pick do you believe the AFC were willing to offer?

Hately showed SFA while he was at GWS, and that form line has continued unbroken since returning the SA.
He didn't show a whole lot at AFL level playing out of position as would be expected. Playing the midfield role in the NEAFL he was very good....don't be writing him off just yet as is your uninformed habit.

Seeing Berry and Hamill come back from ankle injuries after one week (and only be semi effective) made me wonder if we're trying to instil our trademark professionalism on them in terms of recovery and being able to play under duress?

Sloane, Walker and Talia have demonstrated these qualities in the past and currently.

Is it something our club values highly? Is it why we didn't give McAdam the 'out' of a week off when he looked sore?

What will we do with Thilthorpe this week after his knee scare?

On Himmelberg *sigh* --- I don't know.
I want him to succeed and we're still waiting for his breakout game, marking him as a player with a big future (eg like Thilthorpe's debut and last night's game, and he's, what, 18?). EH is 23 in June
Proponents make a lot of the fact that he competes (but with little effect, imo), and challenges for contested marks (but takes very few, let's face it --- even chest marks are a challenge for him). Worse, he's not a good kick for goal.
From what I've seen he's fit, runs around a lot, but like a headless chook. Has intent, but poor execution and no footy smarts.

So, he's a KPF who lacks all of a KPF's attributes.

I really, really hope I am wrong, but I just cannot see him making it :huh:.

He started looking good at the backend of last year and has now gone back to s**t. There is infinitely more upside to Filthy and Fog.

He didn't show a whole lot at AFL level playing out of position as would be expected. Playing the midfield role in the NEAFL he was very good....don't be writing him off just yet as is your uninformed habit.
Maybe I am writing him off too early. I just don't see anything in him that says he'll make it. He's extremely vanilla, with poor disposal.

I can see plenty of positives in Berry, suggesting that he'll make it. Pedlar impressed me greatly in the pre-season games they streamed (before he got injured). I'm looking forward to seeing what Cook & O'Connor bring to the table.

But Hately???

And we're grinding those experienced players into the dirt by neither resting nor rotating them.

Guys like Lynch, Brown, Kelly, Seedsman... these players are not integral to whether we win or lose a match. If they are even slightly injured or out of form, that's a great opportunity to bring in a young player

In a development year we need to take these opportunities
This is true, which they sort of did with Brown but not enough. Comes back and low and behold we see the best of him.

The prerequisite for these guys being in the side is whether they are performing well, which Seed has done and Kelly to a lesser extent.

Lynch and Mackay shouldn't be selected regardless of form.

Seeing Berry and Hamill come back from ankle injuries after one week (and only be semi effective) made me wonder if we're trying to instil our trademark professionalism on them in terms of recovery and being able to play under duress?

Sloane, Walker and Talia have demonstrated these qualities in the past and currently.

Is it something our club values highly? Is it why we didn't give McAdam the 'out' of a week off when he looked sore?

What will we do with Thilthorpe this week after his knee scare?
Both were as effective as they were pre injury.

Bez does so much right but his disposal is questionable at times.

Both were as effective as they were pre injury.
No they weren't and shouldn't cop any blame

The club seems to take great pride in getting players 'up' for games and shouldn't.

Talia's a warrior and that's our benchmark

No they weren't and shouldn't cop any blame

The club seems to take great pride in getting players 'up' for games and shouldn't.

Talia's a warrior and that's our benchmark
They really were.

Both were fit and you're blaming the club for their solid if a little unspectacular performances.

Like always

Hamill covered the ground well, changed direction well but made poor decisions by foot.

Berry cracked in at every opportunity, ran with Boak in the 2nd half and was there with him for the majority of it before Boak outworked him because he's a gun.

That's it.

They really were.

Both were fit and you're blaming the club for their solid if a little unspectacular performances.

Like always
They weren't

"Fit" and "unfit" aren't the only two categories

Do you think that the club values players being able to play while under duress?

They weren't

"Fit" and "unfit" aren't the only two categories

Do you think that the club values players being able to play while under duress?
They weren't under duress.

That's the whole point. You'll do anything you can to take the blame off the player.... Even though they weren't that bad. They performed to the level expected of them

They weren't under duress.

That's the whole point. You'll do anything you can to take the blame off the player.... Even though they weren't that bad. They performed to the level expected of them
And the question I asked?

Hamill in particular we are VERY cautious with for a number of reasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And the question I asked?
You assume because they didn't play great games it's because they're underdone or carrying injuries and that the club would risk them.

It's just not the case, stop looking for things that aren't there.

You assume because they didn't play great games it's because they're underdone or carrying injuries and that the club would risk them.

It's just not the case, stop looking for things that aren't there.
The question was:

This is true. I’maldo not a fan of the Fog experiment. Besides being able to throw some weight around, he doesn’t seem to have inside mid ability, and you can’t imagine him ever as an outside mid. He may have been able to play a similar role to Lynch, but I much prefer him as a contested forward, because that is the type of forward we’ve been missing. I like what Berry brings and given more time, I think we will have a really good player on our hands!
I think him playing middle is a way to get him in the team and teach him to learn how to be more involved in the game. To make him a better forward.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I think him playing middle is a way to get him in the team and teach him to learn how to be more involved in the game. To make him a better forward.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
But there's a clear plan for him now. Play him in the middle in the 2s although not for long enough, then play him in the same role in the senior side.

None of this "oh we'll play you at CHB in the 2s then somewhere completely different in the seniors"

I’m definitely no expert, but wouldn’t actually putting him in our forward line also make him a better forward?

This is true, which they sort of did with Brown but not enough. Comes back and low and behold we see the best of him.

The prerequisite for these guys being in the side is whether they are performing well, which Seed has done and Kelly to a lesser extent.

Lynch and Mackay shouldn't be selected regardless of form.
Lynch is fine... but not when he's carrying an injury, as he was for most (if not all) of this season.

Mackay should be a "break glass in emergency" player. I didn't mind him playing when Kelly & Brown were MIA against Sydney, or when Brown & Hamill were MIA vs GWS. He shouldn't have played against Port, and he shouldn't be playing next week.

I’m definitely no expert, but wouldn’t actually putting him in our forward line also make him a better forward?

I think he should do a plumber’s apprenticeship. That will make him a better forward. Guaranteed.

You really have to learn how to unblock drains before you can kick goals. Everybody knows that.

He doesn't get near it when he plays in the forward line, as exemplified by his efforts last night when he went forward. This is about teaching him to get involved, which he can then translate to actually getting his hands on the pill in the forward line.

Even Roo admitted during last night's game that he just doesn't get enough of the pill. This is about teaching him how.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back