Toast Welcome to Hawthorn, Finn Maginness “absolute Hawthorn nuffie” and a Hawk to 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Been told by a source that finn and jeka have been dropped. Pretty stiff on jeka who really didn’t get much of a chance last week due to our horrendous efforts up field

If this is true, I am at a loss with what the * we are trying to do. The shine is well and truly off us as a club, and if true, this is yet further evidence we are treading water. I hope it's not true.

Here is the thing, we are trying to play attacking football. We just aren’t very good at it.
Lets see how they go against the Weagles this Sunday.

Playing an injury struck Eagles team on a sunny day at the MCG would be an excellent opportunity to try and play some attacking, free flowing, high scoring footy.

Let's recruit a ball-winning, goal-kicking midfielder and see if we can teach him how to tag.
It might take 3-4 years, so pls be patient.
Didn’t you see Finn playing on-ball last week? You must’ve blinked at just the wrong moment.

Doesn’t even get a crack in the Box Hill on-ball division. It’s really hard to understand to this point why we bothered matching the bid.

Let's recruit a ball-winning, goal-kicking midfielder and see if we can teach him how to tag.
It might take 3-4 years, so pls be patient.
If he was winning the ball and kicking goals, he wouldn’t be tagging VFL midfielders. Good defensive midfielders get the footy anyway. Take the family name out and he’s a second round draft pick who is yet to really impact VFL footy. He needs to do that before getting regular AFL games

Didn’t you see Finn playing on-ball last week? You must’ve blinked at just the wrong moment.

Doesn’t even get a crack in the Box Hill on-ball division. It’s really hard to understand to this point why we bothered matching the bid.
Both of these statements are incorrect. He started on Steele in the middle at AFL level and played the majority of the first half on the ball at vfl level this week. We aren’t going to take a player who struggled to get the ball at vfl level and play him full time centre square mid at AFL. We would burn him badly.

Why lie?

Or brad hill. Or crouch (who had 11 touches in first quarter).

Do we reckon Finn learnt more at afl level last week or at box hill this week (in a poorly skilled team that also got smashed)?
The club’s entire strategy is not based around Finn’s learning. If he’s good enough, he can start by putting in the performances at VFL level that justify an extended run in the AFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club’s entire strategy is not based around Finn’s learning. If he’s good enough, he can start by putting in the performances at VFL level that justify an extended run in the AFL

This would hold up if they didn't bring him up to the level. For five quarters.

So basically Howe, 25 and pretty much a known quantity, really isn't driving us forward, dominated VFL and come straight back up. At the expense of Finn, who is in his second year and was good enough to keep Howe out of the side... for 5 quarters.

If Finn was dropped for a returning O'Meara, OK, I get it. But he was dropped for Howe. It just screams the club isn't buying into a rebuild. I'd love to see us show more faith in kids when we bring them up. Let's decide after a block of games.

And, let's not start on Brockman being out of the team. No ******* idea there.

Gifting people games at AFL level does not work.

Finn was not a standout in those BS scrath matches last year

Finn was not a standout in the pre season games leading in to the year

Finn has not been a standout in the VFL so far this year

Finn has been a step below at AFL level so far when given a chance.

I like the kid and want him to make it but a lot of this board just give him some free pass. At no stage has he shown so far he is an AFL footballer. Still has plenty of time on his side but jeez leaving him out this week was totally understandable. Brockman on the other hand was not.

This would hold up if they didn't bring him up to the level. For five quarters.

So basically Howe, 25 and pretty much a known quantity, really isn't driving us forward, dominated VFL and come straight back up. At the expense of Finn, who is in his second year and was good enough to keep Howe out of the side... for 5 quarters.

If Finn was dropped for a returning O'Meara, OK, I get it. But he was dropped for Howe. It just screams the club isn't buying into a rebuild. I'd love to see us show more faith in kids when we bring them up. Let's decide after a block of games.

And, let's not start on Brockman being out of the team. No ******* idea there.

i thought Howe was sore which is why he went out the side, and Finn came in to cover for one of Chad or JOM

i must be one of 5 people on this board that would rather Howe in the side than Finn. You can't let players get 30 touches and do everything that is asked of them in the 2nds just to give games to a younger bloke who is clearly still learning at BOTH AFL and VFL level.

Just let him learn where the club sees fit. If he starts racking up 25-30 touches in the VFL on a regular basis and still isn't getting a game, then I will be pissed, but he's simply not ready right now. We need to give him time.

Brockman is a different story that I'm not quite as sold on, but I have to imagine he'll be back in the team soon. Maybe Morris' pressure has been better in the BH games? I haven't seen enough of them

I want Finn to suceed as much as anyone, but lets ne honest, he is looking more like O'rourke than the star midfielder we need him to be.

Since drafted he has really given no indication that he has what it takes yet people seem to have this idea that its a given and that he needs to be gifted games until he starts going.

Howe dominated for box hill last match. Finn has never once played a game as good as Howes last week.

With players like Jiath, he gave glimpses at BHH all the time. Ditto Lewis. Ditto Jeka. Ditto everyone who forces their way into this side.

Finn needs to do the same.

Sorry, I meant to say Finn's not ready. After learning to tag he should be put through a short course in accounting to learn how to quickly evaluate the out-number at stoppage, as well as a sex-education classes to improve his mental maturity. Only then will he be ready to match the output of Daniel Howe.

Last edited:
Finn hasn't done enough to warrant a spot in the seniors on merit.

But if I was Shiels i'd be worried. At some point, we need to look ahead and get some games into some players.
Think howe was tagging Kelly? Not sure who was on gaff - maybe Phillips? Both didn’t do enough to keep their spot.

Ideally players at box hill would be banging down the door, but how long can you keep underperformers at AFL level and racking up losses before making changes?

Think howe was tagging Kelly? Not sure who was on gaff - maybe Phillips? Both didn’t do enough to keep their spot.

Ideally players at box hill would be banging down the door, but how long can you keep underperformers at AFL level and racking up losses before making changes?
Clarko is right when he talks about balance between kids and veterans. It's still early in the year, so underperforming veterans will keep their spots for now. But I hope this changes after the bye

I didn't think Howe was the worst out there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back