List Mgmt. 2021 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I would be lying if I said I wouldn't want this to eventuate. Happy to keep Hayward, but let's be honest for a contracted former first rounder, what Adelaide would give us is probably more than what Hayward is worth.

They have picks 5,24, 37,60. They ain’t giving 5 or 24 for him. He’s probably worth around pick 37 atm. Wouldn’t shock me though if they went after Dawson, Stephens & Hayward one bit.

They have picks 5,24, 37,60. They ain’t giving 5 or 24 for him. He’s probably worth around pick 37 atm. Wouldn’t shock me though if they went after Dawson, Stephens & Hayward one bit.

I’d take a future pick (second) with a swap here and there. That is IF he wants to be traded only

Is going back to SA a thing for people that come to Sydney?

I've got a few friends that made the move. They ain't going back.
They're also bodyboarders like Dawson.

Doubt we will lose Dawson. Swans have good history of keeping players they want to keep.
Wonder where we are at cap wise - with our age profile, shouldn't have crazy cap pressure, but with Buddy money may still be tight currently.

Anyone know if Jordan's partner is from Sydney, she posts on insta alot! I don't know if this is is kosher to discuss, but I know one of the reasons we continually have so many swans re-signing is they build roots in sydney and their partner/family isnt VIC centric.

I think most girlfriends or partners would be happy to base themselves wherever their boyfriend or fiancé is making six figures as the chances are they are gonna be the main breadwinner in the relationship. I've seen a few of them on Instagram (unless my missus asks, in which case I absolutely have NOT seen any of them...) and they seem to be starting businesses and stuff in Sydney. That's a good sign that they're committed to calling Sydney their home for the long-term.

However I'm not sure there would be anything we could do if one of our players started dating a girl who was not as keen on Sydney. It's not like we could be like, "Nope sorry mate, you've gotta end this relationship STAT otherwise your future with us is f***ed!"

There's been a couple over the years but usually fringe or non selected players.

I don't plan on living anywhere else but SA, the only thing I'd rate Sydney over it would be to actually see Swans games live more than once a year. But if players are settled, have hobbies/interests there, are getting games and with our promising list, I'd hope we don't have much to worry about. The draw of family and any extra $$ diminishes if all those things are in place. Usually the Crows specifically (and hilariously), have to worry about established players wanting out rather than in, another plus for us.

Also Dawson specifically is from Robe (about 3.5hrs drive from Adelaide and 1.5 from my hometown, claiming him), so yeah it'd be closer technically, but not sure if he even has family in Adelaide.

Last edited:

If there’s a big difference, say 100k a year, players ain’t staying at a club for bodyboarding. Adelaide are going to have huge cap space and it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s the difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If there’s a big difference, say 100k a year, players ain’t staying at a club for bodyboarding. Adelaide are going to have huge cap space and it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s the difference.
Dawson boarded at school in Adelaide, from country SA, so not sure family/home is a massive consideration at least short term. I'd also hope he considers where the two clubs are at - we're closer to a flag, he's clearly settled in our 22, Adelaide has had question marks over player management/culture - if that's important to him over extra $$ and cheaper living, we win.

The ladder position of the club makes a huge difference IMO. Go to Adelaide in bottom 4 for extra 100k or stay in Sydney for the chance of a premiership in a few years. I would choose the latter. Playing winning football is great for your mind. Playing losing football on a regular basis would be a drag. I like the fact we prioritize drafting SA and WA players vs VIC players. Less likely to go home once we indoctrinate them in Sydney with Bloods culture.

Dawson boarded at school in Adelaide, from country SA, so not sure family/home is a massive consideration at least short term. I'd also hope he considers where the two clubs are at - we're closer to a flag, he's clearly settled in our 22, Adelaide has had question marks over player management/culture - if that's important to him over extra $$ and cheaper living, we win.
Yeah the places he surfed and called "home"... In the middle of nowhere.

I reckon JPK is a bit like Peter Siddle. Sids is one of those fellas who will still be trundling in during his 50s. JPK seems a bit the same and will be playing footy in some comp well into his 40s. If he does not get a contract, we could do worse than appoint him as Captain Coach of the ressies.
Much as I love JPK (I DO!) I don't see him as stand alone captain or as a coach of a VFL side, teaching kids and developing players the club's systems. Rhyce and Laids the right kind of characters. Know their stuff, performance oriented but high in mentoring skills.

“Swans co-captain Josh Kennedy is also heading towards a new one-year deal. His co-skipper Luke Parker has started talks with Sydney as well. “

“SYDNEY ruckman Sam Naismith has been wiped off the free agency list after quietly signing a contract extension for next year.”
Love the loyalty that gives big Cray a chance, even if at VFL level, to prove he has what it takes. Cheap injury cover at AFL quality too, especially if Sinkers pulls the pin (quietly hoping he does).

Agreed on all counts. And to add to the point about possessions, the wing position is no longer one in which the best players always get high 20's anymore. Simply look at Justin McInerney as an example. It's about winning possessions in dangerous spots but also and just as importantly hard running, supporting the defence, keeping your width and then getting forward when possible. I obviously can't comment on Stephens running or positioning throughout the game without in-depth analysis of tape, but the point is basically in step with yours: Stephens is being harshly judged on here imo. And very unlucky the coaches dropped him imo.
Agree with you both in principle but at the game I thought Dyl was a bit lost in the first half, but pretty good in the second. He wasn't dropped so much on performance as on team structure. He'll be back and if he gets a run at it he'll ge hard to shift.
Remember last year Florent was playing inside a lot and people were going 🤦‍♂️ but this year he's a lot more on the edges.
Things change and players improve.

Much as I love JPK (I DO!) I don't see him as stand alone captain or as a coach of a VFL side, teaching kids and developing players the club's systems. Rhyce and Laids the right kind of characters. Know their stuff, performance oriented but high in mentoring skills.
I think JPK is a lead by example type captain. Rhyce Shaw (as a leader) was a talking to players/mentoring type player who actively changed players because he got to know them and spent time with them and so could change them. Good coaching type person.

Agree with you both in principle but at the game I thought Dyl was a bit lost in the first half, but pretty good in the second. He wasn't dropped so much on performance as on team structure. He'll be back and if he gets a run at it he'll ge hard to shift.
Remember last year Florent was playing inside a lot and people were going 🤦‍♂️ but this year he's a lot more on the edges.
Things change and players improve.
I just think Dyl needs another preseason to get stronger. He can be rag dolled. I anticipate he will have a strong year next year. Some players take more time to get their bodies AFL right.

You'd think Carlton would be ripe for the picking. Spent years getting built up, spent big on some blokes to bring in. Must be a couple on less than they deserve.

Personally I'd be after McKay (highly unlikely), Pittonet & Cripps in that order
Cripps is probably cooked and doesn't fit our game plan any more.
The others OK.

I think Melican is the answer, but injuries are a concern. Unsure if Gould is a lockdown defender and more as a rebounding 3rd tall, but my priority would be a ruck first over a defender
Still think we are short a KPD. Melican is better as a lockdown third tall. A fast leading player has him done every time. It's hard to get a balance at the back between:
2 x KPD
1 x Intercept
1 or 2 x Release
1 x Small
1 x Medium Lockdown
We play undersized every week with Rampe as our best D. McCartin getting there and is big enough but don't see Melican replacing Rampe long term in either of his roles. Dawson is important as an interceptor and releaser but is often forced to play as third tall ie the role that should be Melican.
Lloyd's size is an issue in my mind as he is not strong enough to do Cunningham's role so leaves the balance a bit out.
We'll never get it perfect but I really would like to see another strong and tall KPD on the list.

Still think we are short a KPD. Melican is better as a lockdown third tall. A fast leading player has him done every time. It's hard to get a balance at the back between:
2 x KPD
1 x Intercept
1 or 2 x Release
1 x Small
1 x Medium Lockdown
We play undersized every week with Rampe as our best D. McCartin getting there and is big enough but don't see Melican replacing Rampe long term in either of his roles. Dawson is important as an interceptor and releaser but is often forced to play as third tall ie the role that should be Melican.
Lloyd's size is an issue in my mind as he is not strong enough to do Cunningham's role so leaves the balance a bit out.
We'll never get it perfect but I really would like to see another strong and tall KPD on the list.
When Rampe goes and we have the same tallness down back. We will get creamed every week. Rampe playing out of his depth every week. No wonder he climbs goalposts and flips players. Must be frustrated at having to consistently play outside his comfort zone. btw my favourite player!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back