Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Jackson Callow!

Remove this Banner Ad

His straight line speed is okay but his agility looks shocking and leap not great.

Interesting to see if club sees him as a back or a forward. But he’s going to have to really work hardto get his movement up to scratch as based on those tests he’d be an absolute liability at AFL level once ball hits the ground.
I suspect it is forward or bust unless the club improves his agility. If forwards can out position him using superior agility his strength advantage won’t be a factor.

Hahaha no way we get him at Pick 17 in a MSD if that's how highly he's rated.
Nobody suggests it is. It is one person's opinion which he openly admits is at odds with AFL recruiters. His view is that there is an over-emphasis on athleticism at the expense of blokes who can read the play and mark it. Keeping in mind Brian Lake went late in the draft in 2001 and would probably not get drafted today and Jeremy Mcgovern went in the rookie draft, it's not an outlandish opinion in my view. Those types of slow contested marking players do get overlooked. Whether that means he's right about Callow remains to be seen. He probably won't be, but it's an interesting viewpoint and the reality is Callow does something very few on our list can do: uses his size with aggression and takes contested marks. For pick 17 in the mid-season draft, I think he's excellent value given the skills he does possess.

Nobody suggests it is. It is one person's opinion which he openly admits is at odds with AFL recruiters. His view is that there is an over-emphasis on athleticism at the expense of blokes who can read the play and mark it. Keeping in mind Brian Lake went late in the draft in 2001 and would probably not get drafted today and Jeremy Mcgovern went in the rookie draft, it's not an outlandish opinion in my view. Those types of slow contested marking players do get overlooked. Whether that means he's right about Callow remains to be seen. He probably won't be, but it's an interesting viewpoint and the reality is Callow does something very few on our list can do: uses his size with aggression and takes contested marks. For pick 17 in the mid-season draft, I think he's excellent value given the skills he does possess.
So two players in two decades of drafting bucked the trend of less athletic kpd defenders and that proves knightmare’s point? I don’t think so. Lake wasn’t the most athletic player but he actually had great closing speed, especially as a young player. Callow is starting out well behind lake in that regard. Odds are against him but he gets a chance to prove recruiters wrong. Ignored in the national draft. Ignored in the rookie draft. Ignored in the preseason draft. Ignored in the preseason supplementary period and ignored in the first round of the mid season rookie draft. It will be an incredible story if he makes it.

So two players in two decades of drafting bucked the trend of less athletic kpd defenders and that proves knightmare’s point? I don’t think so. Lake wasn’t the most athletic player but he actually had great closing speed, especially as a young player. Callow is starting out well behind lake in that regard. Odds are against him but he gets a chance to prove recruiters wrong. Ignored in the national draft. Ignored in the rookie draft. Ignored in the preseason draft. Ignored in the preseason supplementary period and ignored in the first round of the mid season rookie draft. It will be an incredible story if he makes it.

It's not really just two players though is it?

McGovern was a mature age pick, as was Keath, in addition Lake, Hooker, Andrews were all picked late as key forwards and have made defense their best position despite not having outstanding speed or athleticism.

Lack of speed may be overstated, as 3.08 as a key tall over 20m is not at all slow. It's enough to keep in relatively good position with most opposition players he'll come up against.

Agree that it'd be a good story if he made it but the qualities are there, it wouldn't necessarily be a huge surprise.

Who said it proves his point? I said his general opinion on less athletic talls isn't outlandish, and that he will probably be wrong on Callow. Though hopefully he's right. I'm personally happy to take a bloke in the MSD who has some genuine weapons though. Well worth the punt at such a speculative selection.

It's not really just two players though is it?

McGovern was a mature age pick, as was Keath, in addition Lake, Hooker, Andrews were all picked late as key forwards and have made defense their best position despite not having outstanding speed or athleticism.

Lack of speed may be overstated, as 3.08 as a key tall over 20m is not at all slow. It's enough to keep in relatively good position with most opposition players he'll come up against.

Agree that it'd be a good story if he made it but the qualities are there, it wouldn't necessarily be a huge surprise.
Andrew’s is athletic. Great closing speed and good leap. Hooker couldn’t catch buddy but he kept up with him so clearly wasn’t that slow in his peak. Agility is really bloody important. Defenders get found out if they can’t turn quickly and go with the forward. I’m not trying to write him off but the comparisons being made here aren’t really adequate. None of them struggle at ground level.

Jordan lisle wasn’t incredibly slow in a straight line but the guy turned like the titanic. It really hinder him at AFL level and stopped him playing in defence. Agility is probably more important than speed but you can’t lack both and play defence. So for me it will be forward or nothing if he can’t improve his agility.

Who said it proves his point? I said his general opinion on less athletic talls isn't outlandish, and that he will probably be wrong on Callow. Though hopefully he's right. I'm personally happy to take a bloke in the MSD who has some genuine weapons though. Well worth the punt at such a speculative selection.
Yes, worth a shot at second round of msd. I hope we can improve his agility as I suspect that will be what holds him back the most.

Callow was dominant in two games against weak opposition. He wasn’t dominant across all or even most games. Something to keep in mind when considering his likelihood of playing senior football this year. Jeka will be ahead of him for sure.

Callow was opposed to Fischer McAsey and Josh Worrell against Adelaide reserves who were both highly rated defenders in the 2019 draft, McAsey even taken in the top 10. I don't rate McAsey because he's even slower than Callow, but obviously other clubs did for him to be taken that early.

Andrew’s is athletic. Great closing speed and good leap. Hooker couldn’t catch buddy but he kept up with him so clearly wasn’t that slow in his peak. Agility is really bloody important. Defenders get found out if they can’t turn quickly and go with the forward. I’m not trying to write him off but the comparisons being made here aren’t really adequate. None of them struggle at ground level.

Jordan lisle wasn’t incredibly slow in a straight line but the guy turned like the titanic. It really hinder him at AFL level and stopped him playing in defence. Agility is probably more important than speed but you can’t lack both and play defence. So for me it will be forward or nothing if he can’t improve his agility.

Hooker was almost heaving up his lungs trying to keep up with a borderline jogging Buddy. Andrews is barely more athletic than Callow if you actually watch him.

Rutten was one of the better key defenders of his era and he was nicknamed for his crap turning circle.

There are qualities there if he can play it smart that can offset the fact that his agility is average.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarification: Callow may not be fast but he isn’t slow either. His 20m sprint at 3.08s is faster than the average for all players which is around 3.14s. If he is playing at FB then hopefully his anticipation can have him first to the ball. Unfortunately I could not find any info on Lake / Harris’ 20m sprint time, but Jake Lever ran 3.19 in the 20-metre sprint ... and he goes well enough.

Last edited:
Clarification: Callow may not be fast but he isn’t slow either. His 20m sprint at 3.08s is faster than the average for all players which is around 3.14s. If he is playing at FB then hopefully his anticipation can have him first to the ball. Unfortunately I could not find any info on Lake / Harris’ 20m sprint time, but Jake Lever ran 3.19 in the 20-metre sprint and 10:32 for the three-kilometre time trial... and he goes well enough.
I don’t really rate the 20m sprint as a guide to speed. Plenty of ruckman have run sub 3 seconds and then never shown themselves to be particularly quick. Harris Andrew’s ram 3.12 at the combine but had several faster times before that. Seems to be that height and technique can be an advantage in this test. I haven’t been able to find much on agility as you only ever see the top 10 results and they never include talls except for dgb.

Please keep him up forward.

TOB list spot under pressure. We've got quite a few talls now, so hopefully at least 1 can develop.

Lewis on notice. Will need to continue to develop or add another string to the bow, perhaps a bit of ruck

I think TOB's days are numbered.
Also Lewis has moonlighted in the ruck a bit, but doesn't when we play 2 rucks.

I don’t really rate the 20m sprint as a guide to speed. Plenty of ruckman have run sub 3 seconds and then never shown themselves to be particularly quick. Harris Andrew’s ram 3.12 at the combine but had several faster times before that. Seems to be that height and technique can be an advantage in this test. I haven’t been able to find much on agility as you only ever see the top 10 results and they never include talls except for dgb.
Agreed that a KPPs 20m leg speed is secondary to his speed of thought / anticipation / reacting first. We will have to wait and see whether Callow has that innate footy IQ.

His agility testing doesn't look amazing but those running vertical numbers are pretty poor at ~60cm. Many of his opponents can get that high from a standing start and they'll have ~20cm on him from a running start.

Again, not writing him off, just emphasising that he'll have to really maximise his craft and bodywork before the ball comes in.

Hahahahahaha you rate every stat apart from the one that says he's takes off from a standing start fairly quickly because it doesn't suit your narrative. Next you'll come back with he doesn't take off quick because his 5m sprint isn't good enough which then means his last 15m is really strong or you can come back and spin it the other way if you want....Hahahahahaha...........fact is mate that time is better than Ellis's 20m (or exactly the same from memory) was and most of the current list over the age of 25.

You and your stats; you'll use them, or disregard them, depending on your story line LOL

I got eyes bro - they served me well, before all these stats come along, that people will use to try and quantify the story line they want.

He's a monster mate, good luck trying to out body this fella once he gets couple of pre-seasons into him - it's better then the twigs we were drafting like Brand and Tobby.

Last edited:
Hahahahahaha you rate every stat apart from the one that says he's takes off from a standing start fairly quickly because it doesn't suit your narrative. Next you'll come back with he doesn't take off quick because his 5m sprint isn't good enough which then means his last 15m is really strong or you can come back and spin it the other way if you want....Hahahahahaha...........fact is mate that time is better than Ellis's 20m (or exactly the same from memory) was and most of the current list over the age of 25.

You and your stats; you'll use them, or disregard them, depending on your story line LOL

I got eyes bro - they served me well, before all these stats come along, that people will use to try and quantify the story line they want.

He's a monster mate, good luck trying to out body this fella once he gets couple of pre-seasons into him - it's better then the twigs we were drafting like Brand and Tobby.
If he is playing in defence, as others think he might be able to, he needs agility. Closing speed also useful. I’m not sure 3.08 is fast in anyone’s language but he is in the same league as other kpd. I’m concerned about his agility as a defender. I have said this. But I also said in the post you quote that I can’t find anything to compare him to so it’s difficult to judge that. My view is he will make it as a forward or not at all. What exactly do you have a problem with here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back